Kathy Millatt on What's Neat with Ken Patterson

• RMweb Gold

Made for interesting viewing, despite all the sponsors' namechecks.

As for GMRC style series in other countries, they could also be of interest (if they get made and find their way over here) - but I suspect there might be significant differences between different countries' versions.

Although language could be an issue, any potential German version could be very watchable (and not just because the locos etc would look different to what we're used to here in the UK).

Huw.

As for GMRC style series in other countries, they could also be of interest (if they get made and find their way over here) - but I suspect there might be significant differences between different countries' versions.

Although language could be an issue, any potential German version could be very watchable (and not just because the locos etc would look different to what we're used to here in the UK).

Huw.

I think an American version could be pretty cool. There's a series I enjoy on YouTube called 'Tested,' presented by Adam Savage (of Mythbusters) which deals with a lot of creative building topics - mostly props and costumes, but they also do modelmaking in various forms and they even did an episode on live steam model locomotives. The set-up is pretty good, being explanatory enough for beginners without being patronising, and the presenters' enthusiasm is really catching even if you're not into the subject they're covering. Something like that, purely dedicated to model railways, could be really neat.

I think you get used to it after a while its just how America can be and hey they are paying towards the show so why not. I must admit the what's neat podcast and monthly programs are a must see for me now as he has some great ideas and interesting guests. Best hobby in the world...

• RMweb Gold

I think you get used to it after a while its just how America can be and hey they are paying towards the show so why not. I must admit the what's neat podcast and monthly programs are a must see for me now as he has some great ideas and interesting guests. Best hobby in the world...

I don't doubt that - but it does make a contrast with (eg) TV programmes in the UK - a classic example being GMRC itself, in which Railway Modeller (the magazine which Steve Flint edits) wasn't mentioned by name - presumably to avoid any bother over product placement etc.

Of course, I doubt if it would be too difficult for anybody to find out this particular nugget of information - regardless of whether they're a complete beginner or "the average enthusiast"... .

Huw.

Edited by Huw Griffiths