Inverclyde Lines carriage IDs

Ian Smeeton

• RMweb Premium

I have managed to derail completely another thread on Coaching Stock on the North Bank of the Clyde with my off topic questions, so I thought that I had better start another thread more appropriate to my queries.

Paisley St James is proceeding slowly (glacially), but the occasional outing to an exhibition, or Toyfair/Swapmeet offers the odd opportunity to aquire something appropriate.

Being a bit too young to remember what ran where in the period that I am modelling, I am casting my ignorance at the feet of the assembled knowledge of RMWeb for enlightenment.

During my research, I have come acropss a few photos which show stock outside my sphere (small) of knowledge.

Like this:

p3178224886-3.jpg

This is the only photo that I have found showing Gresleys on the Inverclyde Line. I am sure that there are others, I just haven't found them yet.

In an ideal world someone will be along in a moment to give me chapter and verse on Dia. No. build & scrapping dates, and availability in 2mm scale

Also, this one

https://www.railscot.co.uk/img/22/484/

pH has already identified the 2nd coach from the camera, and the nearest one is  a Stanier Suburban id'd by jimwal.

I will be along again soon enough with more questions, and photo links.

Regards & thanks,

Ian

In the photo above, the leading vehicle looks like a Gresley Brake Third Open to dia.196 and the one behind a Tourist Third Open to dia.186, both in 1950s carmine and cream livery - which suggests an excursion from somewhere in former LNER territory !  These coaches were built around 1937-38 and probably lasted into the early 1960s.  Sorry, no idea about availability of 2mm models... I work in P4....

HTH.

Alasdair

Second photo - third carriage from the camera is a BR Mk1 third (or possibly composite but not sure there would be two adjacent compos in the same set), and the one immediately behind the loco is a Stanier brake third.

Those Thompson Suburban Lavatory Composites weren't used as composites by that time - all compartments in them were considered second class. And the lavatories in them weren't functional by that time, though that didn't stop people using them!

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks, to all of the above respondees.

ACJT, I really should get into the habit of using smilies, but your answer was above and beyond the call of duty in my request for info.

Re the Mk1 coaches, would these have been the 57' varieties, or 64'?

PSJ is progressing slowly, and with luck, the last track laying on the scenic side should take place before year end.

At that point, what really should happen is that the end boards should be built to link up the fiddle yard and the scenic section. This may have to wait a while, as the projected layout footprint is about 18" longer than my garage.

I may start concentrating on stock in the New Year, hence all the questions.

Regards, and thanks for all the replies,

Ian