If you're new to the forum this is an ideal place to introduce yourself.

Never so Thankful for freezing rain

Hobbes

Hi, from Illinois, we just celebrated 200 years of Statehood and corruption, yesterday (They cooked the books to hit the number the feds needed for statehood). I'm 40 been out of the hobby for 22 years and I missed the sound of a model train going around the tracks. My father introduced me to UK trains with a kid book "Steam Train Journey" by Huck Scarry and I've wanted a 0-6-0 GWR ever since. This past year I have been building a GWR WWI era layout on the cheap. I was inspired to start down the road when I saw the Bachmann hospital train. This led me to wonder why I could never find UK trains over here. Thank you ebay...  Lastly, I have never seen "Thomas the Train Engine" full episode but I think I would have loved it if it was out when I was a kid (I received an odd comment over at another forum which will remain nameless).  

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Hi Hobbes, Welcome to RMWeb!

Thomas the Tank Engine never floated my boat, not even the books, but like you and so many others here my Dad got me into the hobby many moons ago and it seems to be a bug that you can't get rid of.

P.S. Have you seen Ivor the Engine? (Classic British railway-based animation with a warm heart.) :-)

Hi Hobbes, welcome.  There's quite a UK rail community here.  You can stay in touch by joining BRMNA:  http://www.brmna.org/index.html

You most likely won't find British trains in the shops but mail order is your friend.  Most of my purchases have been from Hattons:  https://www.hattons.co.uk/

Happy trains.

John

Edited by brossard

• RMweb Premium

Hobbes:

We have the Great British Train Show every 2 years just outside Toronto. (Sorry, you missed this year's)  BRMNA also list member-dealers who supply most of the major needed parts. 

Thank you for the great welcome. Last night I watched (thanks to you tube) Ivor and Thomas which I found the need to add a 0-4-0 to my list and to someday see Wales. I visited the BRMNA website and will seek membership for 2019.  

• Like 2

You're welcome. It's Sodor, BTW, which was the Reverend's shortened SOmerset and DORset railway - his fave.

I thought it came from the Isle Of Man which he visited regularly.

The Bishop on the IOM is the Bishop Of Sodor And Man. I believe one of them was a personal friend and a fellow railway enthusiast.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bishop_of_Sodor_and_Man

Jason

Hi, from Illinois, we just celebrated 200 years of Statehood and corruption, yesterday (They cooked the books to hit the number the feds needed for statehood). I'm 40 been out of the hobby for 22 years and I missed the sound of a model train going around the tracks. My father introduced me to UK trains with a kid book "Steam Train Journey" by Huck Scarry and I've wanted a 0-6-0 GWR ever since. This past year I have been building a GWR WWI era layout on the cheap. I was inspired to start down the road when I saw the Bachmann hospital train. This led me to wonder why I could never find UK trains over here. Thank you ebay...  Lastly, I have never seen "Thomas the Train Engine" full episode but I think I would have loved it if it was out when I was a kid (I received an odd comment over at another forum which will remain nameless).  

Good to see more people who appreciate the GWR about.  :)

I must admit I never really got into Thomas. The books weren't really about when I was a small child and when the TV series came out I was a teenager.

It was all about Ivor The Engine when I was small.

There was also the Sammy The Shunter books which were about a small shunting engine that had adventures such as meeting Santa, going to the circus and even going to America.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sammy_the_Shunter

Jason

• Like 1

As a UK ex pat with a lifetime of different scales and gauges, most of it came via E Bay, holiday trips back home. plus a few from UK dealers.  Also coming from  SW England, its good to read about your GW layout idea.  My favourite railway!

No freezing rain here, just freezing!

Brian.

Edited by brianusa
  • Like 1

I thought it came from the Isle Of Man which he visited regularly.

The Bishop on the IOM is the Bishop Of Sodor And Man. I believe one of them was a personal friend and a fellow railway enthusiast.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bishop_of_Sodor_and_Man

Jason

Having looked it up (I have never bothered before!), you appear to be absolutely correct!! I had assumed the S&D connection because he grew up near Bath. Another long-held assumption smashed to bits.....

The personal friend was the famous Rev Teddy Boston, from Leicestershire. 

Edited by Mike Storey
  • Like 1