Longfield Model Railway Exhibition - 26th & 27th January 2019

Invicta Informant

The Erith Model Railway Society's annual January show, one of South East England's largest shows (and probably Kent’s largest by stand numbers), will return to The Longfield Academy for our fourth show there.

Venue address: The Longfield Academy, Main Road (B260), Longfield, Kent, DA3 7PH.

Opening Times: Saturday 26th January 2019 - 10:00am to 5:00pm & Sunday 27th January 2019 - 10:00am to 4:00pm.

Entry Prices: Adults - £9.00. Accompanied Children - Free.

Entry price includes free exhibition guide.

The show will encompass at least 30 layouts, extensive trade and society support, demonstrators (including the club's Foxley Service Centre - Loco Diagnostics & Cleaning Service), static exhibits & charity raffle (in aid of the Association of Bexley Charities '78), making over 90 stands in total.

The venue can be reached by Longfield railway station (5-10 minute walk away), Arriva bus services 423 (from Dartford and Bluewater), 433 (from Bluewater, Sunday only) and 489 (from Gravesend), and Go-Coach bus services 474 and 475 (both from Bluewater). The buses stop within a 5-10 minute walk from the venue. Some services may stop at Longfield Academy itself, but ask the driver for the nearest stop to the venue. There are no Sunday services for the 423, 474 and 475 routes.

There is a sizeable free on-site car park, full disabled access (including toilets), a large refreshment area (300+ seats) and an extensive range of hot and cold food and drinks at reasonable prices. There is some off-site parking available at a day nursery in Brickfield Farm just up the road from the venue (5 minute walk away), should we run out (and we usually do) of on-site parking.

The Erith Model Railway Society will be selling remaining stocks of Bachmann limited edition wagons commissioned by the club:

8 Ton Shepherd Neame & Co. Ventilated Van (Weathered). Ref. 38-375U. Price: £13.50.

14 Ton Paper Makers Chemicals Ltd. Tank Wagon. Ref. 37-650R. Price: £13.50.

Please check our website for further details (list of layouts and traders attending, directions etc.).

http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/erithmrs/exhibit_january.html

Thank You.

post-20766-0-51856300-1543953065_thumb.jpg

Edited by Invicta Informant

Unfortunately, due to continuing electrical problems with Avon Junction, we have had to withdraw it from attending the show in January, so that we can have time to get it working fully.  We trust that the Erith club have a successful exhibition.

Colin

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The exhibition listings have now been 'finalised' (barring any last minute drop-outs or additions).

All 93 stands have been allocated a location which can be found on the map included in the first post on this thread.

If anybody has got any questions about the exhibition I shall try to provide an answer in due course.

The exhibition listings have now been 'finalised' (barring any last minute drop-outs or additions).

All 93 stands have been allocated a location which can be found on the map included in the first post on this thread.

If anybody has got any questions about the exhibition I shall try to provide an answer in due course.

That’s odd, I thought we were going this year with The Yard? We do not appear on the layout list, if this is the case I will let the team know they have got the weekend off.

Martin

One additional thing we have done this year is to produce an Access Statement.

Prompted by a letter I saw in the January 2019 edition of Railway Modeller, I thought it would be a good idea to produce one.

Using the example found on www.accessibilityguides.org/ as a template we adapted it for our own purposes.

Access Statement for the EMRS Longfield Show.docx

Just googling to check the dates and it's brought me here - I'm just clarifying this is the 2019 exhibition as the dates in the first post are shown as 2018.

Good spot sir! Now amended.

The date was correct, but the year was wrong. A case of copying and pasting last years details and failing to update that particular detail.

Though we have less stands compared to last year, we are still using roughly the same amount of space in venue.

One additional thing we have done this year is to produce an Access Statement.

Prompted by a letter I saw in the January 2019 edition of Railway Modeller, I thought it would be a good idea to produce one.

Using the example found on www.accessibilityguides.org/ as a template we adapted it for our own purposes.

Having read your Access Statement, does this mean there is someone with a Safeguarding Qualification able to attend the Front Desk at any time during the exhibition?  Doesn't have to be there all the time, but contactable by mobile phone, radio or PA system.

Bill

Having read your Access Statement, does this mean there is someone with a Safeguarding Qualification able to attend the Front Desk at any time during the exhibition?  Doesn't have to be there all the time, but contactable by mobile phone, radio or PA system.

Bill

Hi Bill.

Which part of the Access Statement does this refer to?

A few of our members have undergone safeguarding/CRB/DBS checks and there should be somebody with a site radio on the front desk throughout the course of the weekend.

I have forwarded your query on to Paul and he will look into this.

•  

Hi Bill.

Which part of the Access Statement does this refer to?

A few of our members have undergone safeguarding/CRB/DBS checks and there should be somebody with a site radio on the front desk throughout the course of the weekend.

I have forwarded your query on to Paul and he will look into this.

This bit:

If you lose a child or vulnerable person, please tell the nearest steward and we will do our best to help you to become reunited as quickly as possible. Should we find an unaccompanied child or lost person, we will take them to the front desk area by the main entrance and look after them until the parent/guardian/carer arrives for a happy reunion.

Bill

With our exhibition next weekend, visitors to the exhibition can vote, using the feedback forms, for their favourite layout. The winner will receive the John Muskett Memorial Shield.

The Bill Murphy Memorial Shield will still be awarded by the club for what the judging panel think is the Best in Show (our own layouts are excluded from this award).

Some of the layouts due to attend include:

Dovington Camp, who feature on the exhibition flyer, Stand No. 59 in the Sports Hall;

Harlyn Pier, Stand No. 55 in the Sports Hall;

North of England Line - Scarworth Junction, Stand No. 62 in the Sports Hall;

Sandford & Banwell, Stand No. 76 in Anderson College;

Argina Town, Stand No. 27 in the Theatre;

The West Sussex N Gauge MRC's Modula Layout, Stand No. 72 in Anderson College;

Our very own Fleet Lane, Stand No. 70 in Anderson College, and Herringsham, Stand No. 18 in the Main Corridor;

Our Children's Have-A-Go layout Slades Green, Stand No. 89, can be found in Galileo College.

Set up this evening has gone very well, though there will be plenty to do tomorrow morning before we open at 10am.

From what I have seen, this year's show looks very good.

Also the caretaker/site manager has told me there should not be any football this weekend, which makes a change from previous years.

There is some temporary traffic lights on Main Road just off the roundabout for Whitehall Road and Fawkham Road.

Have a safe journey.

Just got back from this show, it is a lot bigger than you think when you enter. It must be the largest show between Ally Pally and Folkestone. Is it good? Well I think the layouts  at the show are top quality and the bulk of the traders are top notch. If you go tomorrow remember the bus service is not so good but the station is really close.

CAT

We have had a very good day today.

It was pretty busy and I and my colleagues were kept busy trying to find spaces for everyone in the car park (even with no football on we still clutching at straws for a few moments).

Those temporary traffic lights on Main Road just off the roundabout for Whitehall Road and Fawkham Road have now gone.

Hopefully tomorrow will be as successful.

• RMweb Gold

Travelled down from Essex on the Javelin, good day out at a very good show. Thanks to the organisers well worth the trip.  Layouts were very good, my favourite of the day was Harlyn Pier - scenery at the waterfront was exceptional:

gallery_24698_4132_716436.jpg

gallery_24698_4132_1624278.jpg

Loved the fish, lobsters and crabs, plus the sea sounds :)

• Like 2

A very good show as always, nice to catch up with a few people and see some great layouts. 

Was really good to see Forrestone in the flesh.

post-6774-0-74397500-1548610917_thumb.jpg

post-6774-0-09359800-1548610906_thumb.jpg

post-6774-0-59020900-1548610871_thumb.jpg

This really blew me away, Farish 08 that had sound and lights! Extremely Impressive! 

post-6774-0-71023000-1548610891_thumb.jpg

Graham. 

• Like 1

Thank you to everyone who visited and supported our show this weekend. From my understanding we have had a pretty successful weekend.

And thank you to those who have already posted photos on this thread. Anymore is more than welcome.

North of England Line - Scarborough Junction by Mike Johnson and his team from the Scarborough & District Railway Modellers won the Bill Murphy Memorial Shield for Best in Show and Lighterman's Yard by Pete King and his team from the Kent & Essex Area Group of the 2mm Scale Association won the John Muskett Memorial Shield for People's Choice.

​Please feel free to add anymore comments about the show and we will consider them and other feedback we receive to see if we can make any improvements for future shows.

Cheers.

Thanks to the Erith Club for inviting us to your show. North of England Line and Rumbling Bridge arrived safely back in Scarborough and the layouts were packed away in the clubroom by about 11.15pm. We had a trouble free journey home.

We had a great weekend and enjoyed a rare trip "down sarf"

We were well looked after, so thank you to everyone involved, and we were delighted to win one of your awards.

We're pleased your initial thoughts are that the show was a success. It certainly seemed busy on both days, so fingers crossed you are proved correct

All the best from Scarborough and District Railway Modellers.