York Power Station 500v O/head locomotive

john new

• RMweb Gold

The Middleton Press book "Branch Line to the Derwent Valley" states (Caption 33) that one of the York Power Station 500v o/head electrics was bought for preservation in 1971.  If it did get preserved, and still survives, it is a Kerr Stuart 0-4-0 of 1912.

My Google searches have failed to find where it is now, or even if that fact is correct. Does any member have any knowledge of the locomotive?

Edited by john new

The following Kerr Stuart & Co, Stoke on Trent, documents are held by the Leeds Industrial Museum, Armley Mills.

order books,

Ref. KS1 

Armley Mills Industrial Museum, Leeds

records of specialities and coded costings,
Ref. KS2

records of specialities and coded costings,
Ref. KS3
Folder of private notes 

Ref. not known

Sadly, I don't know the current status or location of the loco.

Brian R

Edited by br2975

• RMweb Gold

The Middleton Press book "Branch Line to the Derwent Valley" states (Caption 33) that one of the York Power Station 500v o/head electrics was bought for preservation in 1971.  If it did get preserved, and still survives, it is a Kerr Stuart 0-4-0 of 1912.

My Google searches have failed to find where it is now, or even if that fact is correct. Does any member have any knowledge of the locomotive?

Update.

Enquiries via the SLS forum suggest that circa 2015 it was listed by the IRS as dismantled and in private storage at Walton on the Naze rather than on view in a collection. 

• Like 1

Update.

Enquiries via the SLS forum suggest that circa 2015 it was listed by the IRS as dismantled and in private storage at Walton on the Naze rather than on view in a collection. 

There certainly used to be a blue painted steeple cab loco at the EARM at Chappel & Wakes Colne in the 1980's - I wonder if this is the same one. If it is now in storage in the Walton on the Naze area, I think I know who may own it, as there are a selection of Lisbon trams (and UK tram bodies) stored there as well.............

• RMweb Premium

It was the Kerr Stuart loco preserved at the EARM, I suspect it just got in the way and had no practical use or local connection, so was moved on.

There was also a Metro-Vickers loco of 1941 at the power station but this was scrapped after closure. Again a short steeple cab loco.

Edited by Dava

• RMweb Premium

I've been fascinated by this engine for some time now ( I have distant memories of being taken to have a look at the power station locos as a boy in the sixties) and eventually found the statement about it being at a private site at Walton on the Naze. There's more info on this loco (and the York Corporation railway system) in the IRS booklet 'Industrial Railways of York' by RR Darsley. Well worth tracking down.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

This site:

http://www.tram.vintagecarriagestrust.org/tms/tramInfo.asp?Ref=432

Is regarding a Lisbon tram body owned by a Roger Harvey. But on the left of the photo (from 2015) I think that may be your loco.

432.jpg

That cross-ties with other information received as to owner name so yes, I guess that's it.  Looking somewhat sad.

• RMweb Gold

I've been fascinated by this engine for some time now ( I have distant memories of being taken to have a look at the power station locos as a boy in the sixties) and eventually found the statement about it being at a private site at Walton on the Naze. There's more info on this loco (and the York Corporation railway system) in the IRS booklet 'Industrial Railways of York' by RR Darsley. Well worth tracking down.

Not seen that title Neil, will try to track down a copy. Thanks for the info'.

That cross-ties with other information received as to owner name so yes, I guess that's it.  Looking somewhat sad.

Not sure exactly how large his "fleet" is nowadays, but wasn't aware, before seeing this thread, that he had the electric loco. He bought several Lisbon trams and attempted to set up a heritage operation with them in Walton which did not proceed very far. He has also got a few UK tramcar bodies that nobody else was interested in - Colchester and possibly Norwich being ones that spring to mind. He had the remains of Ipswich 35 as well, once Ipswich 33 was fully restored (albeit to static condition) a few years back.

He did appear at one of our events last year, but haven't spoken to him about his collection for some time.

Not sure exactly how large his "fleet" is nowadays, but wasn't aware, before seeing this thread, that he had the electric loco. He bought several Lisbon trams and attempted to set up a heritage operation with them in Walton which did not proceed very far. He has also got a few UK tramcar bodies that nobody else was interested in - Colchester and possibly Norwich being ones that spring to mind. He had the remains of Ipswich 35 as well, once Ipswich 33 was fully restored (albeit to static condition) a few years back.

He did appear at one of our events last year, but haven't spoken to him about his collection for some time.

I'd guess the loco was purchased with the idea of putting the working bits under one of the trams .......... but that's only a guess.

I'd guess the loco was purchased with the idea of putting the working bits under one of the trams .......... but that's only a guess.

Wouldn't have thought so, as the Lisbon ones are 900mm (?) gauge and the electric loco is standard. The Lisbon truck we acquired for Ipswich 33 fits rather nicely under that tram as it was 3'6" gauge in Ipswich (and the body was ludicrously narrow due to the width of some of the streets they ran down - under 6' wide). He's had them some time, but I can't remember how many actually came "complete" from Lisbon, as, at that stage, they were still selling off complete spare vehicles - Im sure some were complete, electrically. Our truck for Ipswich 33 was obtained prior to that as part of a "deal" that Crich were doing with Lisbon - Think it cost us £550 at the time.

Most probably the EARM loco was likely to be scrapped, so he "rescued" it - something he has done in the case of his UK tram body collection!

Wouldn't have thought so, as the Lisbon ones are 900mm (?) gauge and the electric loco is standard. The Lisbon truck we acquired for Ipswich 33 fits rather nicely under that tram as it was 3'6" gauge in Ipswich (and the body was ludicrously narrow due to the width of some of the streets they ran down - under 6' wide). He's had them some time, but I can't remember how many actually came "complete" from Lisbon, as, at that stage, they were still selling off complete spare vehicles - Im sure some were complete, electrically. Our truck for Ipswich 33 was obtained prior to that as part of a "deal" that Crich were doing with Lisbon - Think it cost us £550 at the time.

Most probably the EARM loco was likely to be scrapped, so he "rescued" it - something he has done in the case of his UK tram body collection!

Perhaps I should have been more specific and said "under one of the tram bodies" .........

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Only just found this thread as I was not a RmWeb member during its original life. I was an active member of the SVRPS (now EARM) when the Kerr Stuart loco arrived. My recollection is that it was owned by Dr Fred Youell and came to Chapel as part of a job lot with his N7. I would guess that even at that point Fred could not find a more suitable local location for it.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 06/12/2018 at 19:14, Johann Marsbar said:

Having had a dig through my slides, I found a photo of it I took at the EARM back in 1993......

post-35561-0-16697900-1544123582.jpg

Any chance of a repost of the missing image please?

1 hour ago, Rubythursday said:

Now at the DVLR, IMG_6131.jpeg.96f19512a172b541d2514b3ccdc89974.jpeg

That’s great to see. As I suggested before it’s a good place for it, based on the rest of their collection. Is it there for static display or restoration with a battery pack to work on their running line?

Edited by 009 micro modeller

1 minute ago, Johann Marsbar said:

Just back from being on holiday, so have only just found your request....

93-418.JPG.3164213616a6685d0b6cbd52dab796ba.JPG

Can anyone confirm if that’s the original colour? The only photos I can find of it at work in York are black and white so I wasn’t sure.

I’d also be interested to know whether it’s directly owned by the DVLR now or privately owned and kept there, and what their plans are for it. 

• RMweb Premium

Could it run on batteries only? The English Electric steeple cab at the Battlefield Line runs on batteries and some of those locos were b/e only. Recognise traction batteries are expensive!

Dava