Lenz Li-Usb problem, Windows 10

ryan1

Having problems with Li-Usb on laptop. The Li-Usb Configuration doesn't seem to be talking to the server. Am assuming it's a software issue as the drivers 'seem' to be working. All lights on unit on to show connection to comp and command station. The Configuration window is almost blank  (no details) and a window pops up saying make sure server is running. Which it is. Tried different drivers, running in compatibility mode and reinstalling software but no luck. Anyone got any ideas please?

Thanks Barry

Have you defined the correct COM port to the software?

In Device Manager yes. Not aware of being able to do it within the software (when i say software I am not referring to the drivers)

Edited by ryan1

• RMweb Gold

OK so what software are you using? I have both the Lenz 23151 LAN/USB interface and the 23170 Decoder Programmer.  When the drivers are installed, each is assigned to a COM port, mine being COM3 and COM4.  I then have to tell the software which COM port has been assigned - COM3 for the LAN/USB (used by RR&Co Traincontroller) and COM4 for the Decoder Programmer (used by the CV-Editor software). 

You will need to do the same for your software. 

OK so what software are you using? I have both the Lenz 23151 LAN/USB interface and the 23170 Decoder Programmer.  When the drivers are installed, each is assigned to a COM port, mine being COM3 and COM4.  I then have to tell the software which COM port has been assigned - COM3 for the LAN/USB (used by RR&Co Traincontroller) and COM4 for the Decoder Programmer (used by the CV-Editor software). 

You will need to do the same for your software. 

Firstly thank you for trying to help me. The software is what comes with the 23150 Li-Usb interface (I believe it's the same as the software that came with your 23151 LAN/USB). They are not communicating with each other. The Li-server, Li-throttle and cv editor are not working cos the LI-configuration isnt responding. 

Right click the device in Dev Mgr and check the baud rate, handshake, etc are as recommended by the overall kit instructions.

Edit... Win 10 drivers may work better than the kit drivers. Try deleting the device and driver in Dev Mgr, then replug the device and let Win 10 find it and install its own driver.

Rob

Edited by RAFHAAA96

Tried everything suggested and everything i can think of and still not working. Have to assume doesnt work under this revision of windows 10. Have read that people have used it on win10 but perhaps the updates have scuppered that.

• RMweb Gold

Tried everything suggested and everything i can think of and still not working. Have to assume doesnt work under this revision of windows 10. Have read that people have used it on win10 but perhaps the updates have scuppered that.

Hi Ryan,

I have the same problem - not working with latest Win 10 Updates.

It was working (after going throough all settings) prior to this.

I got fed up trying to resolve the problems and mine now sitis in a drawer, out of use.

Thanks

Phil H

if the software is old and doesn't meet reasonably new standards, and Lenz isnt known for updating anything, then Windows 10 will either disable or sometime uninstall the drivers if it thinks that they may impact the stability of the platform. The way round is to uninstall the software using something like Revo Unistaller - you need something like this to ensure registry is cleaned out as part of the removal https://www.revouninstaller.com/ (its free :)) and then reinstall after a reboot.

Doesn't always fix the issue, but it does very often - and you have nothing to lose if it ain't working now ;)

• RMweb Gold

I run the very latest Windows 10 (1809). I do not have the 23150 LI-USB any more (now using the later 23151 LAN/USB) but I do have the 23170 Decoder Programmer which uses exactly the same drivers as the LI-USB.  What you need to do is - 

1) Download the LI-USB drivers for Windows 10 from Lenz  -  https://www.lenz-elektronik.de/pdf/23150/23150_Win10.zip

2) The driver version is unsigned so you'll need to temporarily configure your PC to install it. See for example https://ph.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/38288/~/windows-10%3A-disable-signed-driver-enforcement

3) Once the driver from Lenz is installed, go to Control Panel, Device Driver etc, find the COM entry for your device and select "update driver". Windows 10 knows the driver and will install the latest, signed version for you. This will prevent the earlier, unsigned version from being removed by Windows on the next upgrade.

This is how I got it all working for me. 

Edited by RFS

I run the very latest Windows 10 (1809). I do not have the 23150 LI-USB any more (now using the later 23151 LAN/USB) but I do have the 23170 Decoder Programmer which uses exactly the same drivers as the LI-USB.  What you need to do is - 

1) Download the LI-USB drivers for Windows 10 from Lenz  -  https://www.lenz-elektronik.de/pdf/23150/23150_Win10.zip

2) The driver version is unsigned so you'll need to temporarily configure your PC to install it. See for example https://ph.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/38288/~/windows-10%3A-disable-signed-driver-enforcement

3) Once the driver from Lenz is installed, go to Control Panel, Device Driver etc, find the COM entry for your device and select "update driver". Windows 10 knows the driver and will install the latest, signed version for you. This will prevent the earlier, unsigned version from being removed by Windows on the next upgrade.

This is how I got it all working for me. 

Thank you. Will give that a try tomorrow after work

• RMweb Gold

I've no experience of the Lenz software, but sometimes, for older software, you need to install it in w10 as administrator. You may need to run it as administrator afterwards, too.

The Lenz-supplied software is the CV Editor. It's not old as such, having been recently updated to version 1.5 which has to be downloaded from the Lenz website (https://www.lenz-elektronik.de/pdf/LenzCVEditor.zip). I run this on my Windows 10 1809 PC with no issues - no need to use administrator for this. 

Edited by RFS

Hi. I had a similar problem with the 23150 usb interface. Lenz recommended I must turn off the software signing and also upgrade the firmware in the 23150

Go the server to work and the computer throttle Controls the loco but every time I read a cv the server drops out. I can turn it on again but the same thing happens each time

Hi there - did you manage to get it working?

Sadly No. The latest Lenz Software you mentioned previously worked but not the one I needed. Have to assume it just doesn't work with Windows 10 latest version. I have a tower running windows 7 with a working version so may use that but ideally wanted it on the Laptop for space reasons. Cheers for your help. gave me plenty of things to check out.

Edited by ryan1

There used to be a similar problem with the ESU LokProgrammer, caused by the Prolific driver for the USB to R232 converter cable supplied by ESU with the LP being incompatible with 7 and later versions of Windows. The cure was to change the cable to one that used the FTDI chipset as the FTDI drivers were compatible with the newer versions of Windows.

The 23150 contains a USB to RS232 interface which will need a driver that's compatible with Windows 10.

The A & H models website https://www.aandhmodels.co.uk/windows-10-1781-c.asp contains a link to a Zip file with a Windows 10 driver for the 23150. I don't know how recent that is but looking at the file names in the Zip file, it does seem to use the FTDI driver, so it should work with W10. The latest FTDI drivers can be downloaded from the FTDI website https://www.ftdichip.com/FTDrivers.htm

Edited by GoingUnderground