Cake Box Challenge 2018 - Results

Phil Parker

• Administrators

Can I just say yet again, thank you to everyone who took part in this competition. The interest was way more than any of us had expected.

All the models entered gained votes - and rightly so. Every one of them is a winner in some way.

Cake Box 2019 will launch on 1st January - watch this space.

• Like 9

Congrats to Kevin Phare for producing such a nice model/worthy winner, while those which come under the "highly commended" category are also very nice models. In fact, the overall standard of modelling has been first class, well done to all who entered, heres looking forward to "Cakebox 2019!" :)

Edited by Andrew Cockburn
  • Like 1

Also in my opinion Helmut Schmidt made a wonderful creative leap down into a clearly tense inspection of an Acrow prop in a mine working ( Kloster translates as a monastery on my iPad).

The mine scene ably exploits the drama of a central source of light similar to a Wright of Derby painting.

Thank you.

dh

Edited by runs as required

I just wondered, would it be possible to have a breakdown/list of all of the votes for all the models which entered the competition? Just it would be interesting to see how the overall voting panned out.

I would be interested to see this too. I take the point about it being a bit harsh on those with fewer votes but perhaps if it was just sent to the participants this wouldn’t be a problem.

I wasn't tempted to take part, as I prefer operating layouts to dioramas, but I was very impressed by the skills displayed by many of those who entered, which meant that I had to look at them all before deciding which dioramas to vote for.  Two of the three that I voted for are in the above selection, including the worthy winner, but whilst I'd be mildly curious to know where the other challenge entry that I voted for finished, I'm not sure that it's fair to publish a full list.  Hands up who wants to be told that their entry gained the fewest votes.  I certainly wouldn't.  There may be a case for highlighting a top 10 or even top 20 (given there were 49 entrants), but I think it would be best to leave it at that.

• RMweb Gold

Hands up who wants to be told that their entry gained the fewest votes.  I certainly wouldn't.

I couldn't agree more.

Ok - the chances are that I'm probably that guy - but I'd have no wish to find out.

It just reminds me too much of the sort of rubbish some students encounter when trying to find out how they did in their end-of-academic-year exams on certain degree courses. When I was a student, it wasn't unknown for all 50 in their year of a course to be told to turn up in some corridor - and wait (often for ages) for a photocopied list to be put up.

When said list finally appeared, it would have everyone's name in a long list - with most of them having the word "pass" alongside - but a small number having "FAIL - REPEAT YEAR", in bold print, for everyone to see.

Quite apart from publically being branded a failure being very disheartening for the students concerned, the college would often add insult to injury by sending them a letter asking them to confirm in writing if they wished to "accept" their "generous offer". Some "offer" - some insult, more like.

In other words, I'd prefer not to be told that I got less votes than everyone else (even though I probably did). I'd certainly prefer not to be told this in open forum - so anyone so-minded would be in a position to slag me off for being a c**p modeller.

Somehow, I suspect that a number of other people here might take a similar view.

My apologies for being controversial.

Regards,

Huw.

As a bit of a U-turn from my original comment re a list of how the voting went/one or two subsequent comments on this matter, I feel that it may not necessarily be a good idea to publish the results as a whole. I'm not going to speculate as to how the voting went, and who got the most/least votes, but if it is the case that some entrants didn't, shall we say, do as well as others, then maybe it may not after all be such a good idea to have the overall results published on here. Just a bit of food for thought, and it would be interesting to know other's views on the matter.

As a bit of a U-turn from my original comment re a list of how the voting went/one or two subsequent comments on this matter, I feel that it may not necessarily be a good idea to publish the results as a whole. I'm not going to speculate as to how the voting went, and who got the most/least votes, but if it is the case that some entrants didn't, shall we say, do as well as others, then maybe it may not after all be such a good idea to have the overall results published on here. Just a bit of food for thought, and it would be interesting to know other's views on the matter.

I think if there is a massive difference (i.e. a small cluster of entries with most of the votes and some of the others got about 3) then yes. Would it work to share them only with the entrants rather than publicly?

• Administrators

Sorry - no. We're not going to share all the votes and I don't have time to make 39 tailored responses for every entrant at the moment. Lots of pages to fill and little time at home in the next week to fill them!

I'm not sure what it would show either - people vote for all sorts of reasons and numbers alone wouldn't explain it. For example, I would have (I didn't) voted for models that were oddball or industrial over the quality of modelling. Others would go for fine-scale first and imagination afterwards. Some would vote for their scale first. If you get told you received 60 votes, how do you decide why those came your way? 

Just enjoy the winner and highly commended and wait for the next version. 

• Like 1

Congratulations to the winner - well deserved as were those Highly Commended.

Congratulations to all the entrants but I did wonder why some of the earlier efforts were not in the final.

The whole event has been an inspiration a challenge and I look forward to the next challenge.