Ade's 7mm layout: Malmesbury station

Adrian Stevenson

• RMweb Gold

Hi All, I am just starting out in 7mm after a 40 year break from railway modelling. Given the wealth of ready to run GWR locos and stock, I have decided to go down this route and this past two weeks have started to acquire some locos and rolling stock and some track. I will be going DCC.

I have been looking for a prototype to base the model on and had just about given up. I did not want to model somewhere which has been done to death by other people. Building a fantasy location was not really what I wanted either, but I had almost resigned myself to that. However, yesterday I discovered what I think could be the perfect candidate to base my layout upon, Malmesbury Station. It has a nice track plan plus an engine shed and goods shed. 

Last night after my wife had gone to bed I laid out some track on the living room floor. I think it might to possible to fit this onto two or perhaps better, three six foot x three foot baseboards. 

Obviously the layout will not be to scale, but with follow the look of the original.

There are a lot of good photographic references to Malmesbury online even down to drawings of the station, engine shed and goods shed.

I am also toying with the idea of a garden layout....

Cheers, Ade.

post-35634-0-24649700-1544104113.jpg

Edited by Adrian Stevenson
  • Like 18

Nice one Ade, loads of Shunting I see, right up my street. I'm looking forward to meeting you on Saturday, and discussing things more over a coffee and cake at our Gresley and Wychnor Clubs Open Weekend.

All the best.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Have you seen Mike Fenton's book "The Malmesbury Branch"? Published by Wild Swan in 1990, isbn 0906867886. I think it's out of print now, but secondhand copies are reasonably easy to find.

• RMweb Gold

post-35634-0-79157500-1544137416_thumb.png

Been using a website recommended to me by Pete Waterman at Warley show:

https://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/en

It is free to register and is excellent. I have just downloaded some superb images of the station yard from 1934 and 1948. Here is an example. 

Cheers, Ade.

Edited by Adrian Stevenson
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Al. But I don't think I will have the room. 

I had a very enjoyable day yesterday at Gresley show and meeting up with several forum members. I have added some pics in Andy's thread. When I got home I found a parcel of Minerva Mink's and Gunpowder vans waiting for me.  :sungum:

Off to the DIY store later to see about some plywood for the baseboard.

Cheers, Ade.

• Like 2

Off to the DIY store later to see about some plywood for the baseboard.

You might be better going to a timber merchant. My local DIY store sells sheets of filler, glue and rough, splintered wood masquerading as 'plywood'.

Dave

• Like 1

You might be better going to a timber merchant. My local DIY store sells sheets of filler, glue and rough, splintered wood masquerading as 'plywood'.

Dave

I have two timber merchants near me, one is really grumpy the other is really good. Better quality and full sheet for the same price DIY store sells quarter sheet for. Cuts it up for free, as many cuts as you like. Marvellous.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Just ordered the rest of the track I need, plus a GWR pattern platform corrugated tin hut. This will be the only building I can buy off the shelf. The rest will be scratch built. Luckily the book has the plans of the station, engine shed and goods shed.

Cheers, Ade.

• Like 1

Just ordered the rest of the track I need, plus a GWR pattern platform corrugated tin hut. This will be the only building I can buy off the shelf. The rest will be scratch built. Luckily the book has the plans of the station, engine shed and goods shed.

Cheers, Ade.

Have just completed a 7mm model of the Malmesbury signal box/ ground frame for my GW terminus.

Cheers, Henry.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Henry, that would be great. Thanks.

Hi All, the rest of my track was delivered today care of Hattons. Got this laid out on the living floor while my wife is at work. The track plan, naturally with some compression, will fit onto three six foot x three foot boards.

Awaiting a call now from the local timber merchants as I ordered all the timber yesterday. Gone for 9mm Birch ply with 4" x 1" softwood bracing. Hopefully this should come tomorrow all cut to size. Hoping to get this built up before Xmas. Track laying and wiring will be started in the New Year as we are going away for Xmas & the New Year.

Cheers, Ade.

• Like 4

Sounds like you have it all sorted Ade. The timber sound very robust, and should last a lifetime. 

Blown speaker on my 57XX whist running on Dornoch at the Club last night, so will invest in a decent one soon.

All the Best,

Andy.

Thanks very much.

I am doing a 30'/40's era layout but given that Heljan are soon to be doing a version of the Diesel shunter with the funnel, I might be tempted to push the time frame forwards a bit!

Cheers, Ade.

Hello Aide

Never mind waiting for Heljan, we already have a lovely RTR 7mm model of a shunter 'with a funnel' and without stretching your time frame one inch.

Best regards,

Paul

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1