Ade's 7mm layout: Malmesbury station

Adrian Stevenson

On 05/03/2019 at 13:26, Western Star said:

Board of Trade requirements for the distance between adjacent lines are measurements between the running faces of the rails...  so the thickness of the rail can be omitted.  Hence a "6 foot" is 42mm and a "ten foot" is 70mm.  What I have not seen is a description of how the 6-foot changes in relation to the radius of the curves - any one know?

Don't forget that 0 is actually a millimetre under gauge!

9 hours ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

Track is now finished on baseboard two as my rail joiners arrived today. 

Had to play the fun game of find the Peco point spring which decided to jump out....

Cheers, Ade.

I have Peco Point Springs in stock as well mate.

Hope you found it if not, ring me.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, georgeT said:

l must have six or more Peco point springs on my workshop floor, once they go they are gone forever Hahahaha, l was lucky as Bodgit supplied me with some replacements..

I put a lump of Blu Tack over mine as I remove the cover,

''A'' it helps to hold them in place, and

''B'' there easier to find if they do come out, but with the weight of the Blu Tack they don't go very far.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

I have Peco Point Springs in stock as well mate.

Hope you found it if not, ring me.

Just now, Andrew P said:

I put a lump of Blu Tack over mine as I remove the cover,

''A'' it helps to hold them in place, and

''B'' there easier to find if they do come out, but with the weight of the Blu Tack they don't go very far.

I have Blu Tack in stock as well, haha.:rolleyes:

• RMweb Gold

Due to a busy work schedule (as it is coming up to my auction on Friday) not got much done this week. I have sold a few items to fund some more goods wagons though. But tonight I did get some modelling done and have started building the platform fencing from a laser cut wood kit from Poppy's Wood Tech. 

Cheers, Ade.

Platform fencing.jpg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Had a run out today to buy some Dapol wagons and then this afternoon built up some more fencing and got them primed plus got the first coat of white paint on one.

Also picked up some nice embossed self adhesive brick paper for the cattle dock build.

Cheers, Ade.

20190323_173404.jpg

20190323_173436.jpg

20190323_185259.jpg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

It is by a Spanish Company called "Redutex"

It is actually a sticky backed plastic (reminds me of Blue Peter saying that!) and they do a whole range of 7mm and 4mm stuff. I got mine from DCC Supplies yesterday when I got the wagons. Not cheap at £10.61 a small sheet 33cm x 13cm, but ok for me for a small build.

Cheers, Ade.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Bob, I have, but all images are gratefully received.

I was doing some research last night regarding the platform. Early images from the late 1880's show it made of stone. But later images from the 1930's onwards clearly show it made of brick, so clearly there was a rebuild at some point in time. My layout will cover the 1930's through to BR days.

Cheers, Ade.

Edited by Adrian Stevenson
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Bob.

Note the home signal is actually the wrong side of the track, but placed there due to space limitations.  The signal was replaced once, the later one had a landing stage for the signal lamp man. As Dapol will be making the latter, I am going for that one.

Cheers, Ade.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Here is a colour photo of the station which shows the platform with the later brick rebuild showing up towards the end. There was also two patches on the platform where the paving stones were replaced with brick sets for some unknown reason.

Malmesbury station in colour 2.jpg

• Like 12

Hello Ade.

Have just picked up your thread and I must say that I have enjoyed looking at the progress you have made in what seems to be a short period of time. I will follow your progress with interest.

Like you I purchased a Dapol Jinty for my Ramchester layout which has been weathered by Tower Models and of course I had to have another one when it came out in S & D blue livery. Out of area for Ramchester but I have always had a soft spot for the Somerset & Dorset Railway.

Keep up the good work.

Rod

• Thanks 1

Once you get your first sound chip fitted Ade there will be no turning back (promise), l saw your face when you were operating loco's on my layout's l could see you were getting hooked, Hahahahaha good choice on the DCC controller.

Great to see you on Saturday buddy...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1