Ade's 7mm layout: Malmesbury station

Adrian Stevenson

11 hours ago, Andrew P said:

I have 4 main sockets down one side, and then an extension to the other side of the shed, there is never more than one controller, one heater and maybe the soldering iron on at any one time, Oh plus of course some music.

Hey Andy, what about the kettle!! (and the beer fridge?!)

Regards, Deano.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

3 hours ago, O-Gauge-Phil said:

That is one super workshop.  You should be as snug as a bug in there, to me it's a perfect size for a layout, not so big it becomes the impossible dream and large enough for operational interest or even just playing trains.

I was in the food industry and in the last place I designed I put the sockets on the ceiling.  This could be a useful idea for you, as you could have a few blue sockets on the ceiling with a plug trailing lead and a trailing 13 amp socket.  This could be moved around at will  for the soldering iron etc, without demolishing the signals scenery and so on.

It's all looking very nice,

best wishes.

Nice idea Phil, but personally I would go for floor mounted if practical?!

Regards, Deano.

Edited by Deano747

• RMweb Gold

The brake van kit is now soldered together after getting the fiddly hand rails done tonight.

Next task is a final clean up followed by a coat of primer over the weekend, then just the card floor, window glazing, buffers and couplings to add. I now need to buy the correct GWR grey paint and get some decals to finish.

GWR_Brake_van_kit_7.jpg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold

Thanks George.

I could do with a Gas Cordon wagon which were used to refill the gas lights on the carriages.

In the long term, I might have a go at a GWR class 517 0-4-2. But the kit is hard to obtain and the website seems misleading as to ordering it or just coming across it in stock:

https://mm1models.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=688

Cheers, Ade.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ade,

I've really enjoyed reading your thread this morning. The weathering on your wagons is rather nice, as is the etched toad brake van.

Looking forward to to future progress. 

Kind rgeard,

Nick.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Spent yesterday working in the garden clearing the area in front of where the cabin will be of plants/shrubs. It was too tempting not to put baseboard no 1 in place roughly where it will sit once the cabin is up.

Also got the roof on the brake van sprayed white.

Baseboard_one_in_place.jpg

GWR brake van build 9.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

No window in the rear of the cabin.

Here in lies the rub. I would never have contemplated losing the view, except our wonderful council have given planning permission for 450 houses to be built in the green fields you can see rising up in the distance. At least we will not have houses directly behind up (yet) so we will still have the horses next to us.

Cheers, Ade.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Got a delivery date now of Sept 2nd. (They offered sooner but was later than originally scheduled :mad: and was too close to our holiday. ) So were are going to have a build a cabin party the weekend Sept 7th/8th with beer and BBQ for my mates who are going to help with the construction.

Cheers, Ade.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

We had a “move the summerhouse” party many years back.  

My dad & I built a new foundation, and the promise of beer and a barbie brought sufficient muscle to slide a couple of scaffold poles under it, and lift & carry it to its new location.  

Its amazing how organised the herd of cats becomes when it is announced that the beer is only available after the work...

best

simon

• Like 3
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

Steps built from the ubiquitous coffee stirrers (two thicknesses) and brass rod for the drain pipe. Details taken from photos in the book, but given the drain is on the rail side I don't think anyone will actually see it, but at least I know it will be there.

Just needs an overall weathering to finish.

20190725_224800.jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold

Thanks!

Coal staithes will be my next coffee stick project I think. Also looking at photos the track in front of the cattle dock has boards laid over the sleepers and a duck board pathway on the other side of the track so these should come in handy again.

Cheers, Ade.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Barnaby said:

Nice work Ade.

I have some 200 - 300 lolly ice sticks I just can't dump but neither can I think of a suitable project to use them on either.

Best

Vertical fencing slats, as on my OO Gauge Deesdale Road? 

1533278433_Stafford201531stJan1stFeb006.JPG.bb142c82e9688f725a7e30583c945dbd.JPG

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Today's wet day project is to build the sleeper built station coal store which sat next to the lamp hut between that and the cattle dock as seen here in the 1930's photo. Post war it was moved to the end of the line next to the buffers the other side of the cattle dock. There are various photos of it, but none in detail to show the actual construction as to regard to any bracing and door position, so that will have to be supposition on my part. Clearly the sleepers were sat into the ground.

(Photo credit to book author Mike Fenton)

Cheers, Ade.

20190728_101038[1].jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

An photo taken from Britain from the Air website and cropped down to show the coal store. Looking at the dirt on the ground I think the door or opening would have faced the track.

download (5).png

Edited by Adrian Stevenson
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andy, what I have done is cut the coffee stirrers down to the length of a sleeper, then cut it down a bit more to allow for it being set into the ground. I have then put the bracing panels in place top and bottom just under a scale foot from top and bottom.  

Here is a work in progress pic of the side and back panel.

Cheers, Ade.

20190728_142909.jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1