Ade's 7mm layout: Malmesbury station

Adrian Stevenson

3 hours ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

Hi Andy, what I have done is cut the coffee stirrers down to the length of a sleeper, then cut it down a bit more to allow for it being set into the ground. I have then put the bracing panels in place top and bottom just under a scale foot from top and bottom.  

Here is a work in progress pic of the side and back panel.

Cheers, Ade.

20190728_142909.jpg

That's very neat, I never measured or scaled mine on St Budoc, in fact, I think it was BINNED, haha.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

:D

All made now and got the first base coat of paint on. Placed them on baseboard one in the positions they will take once glued down. 

The cattle dock will have a sloped lane with fencing leading up to it at about a 45 degree angle.

A couple of Iron Minks stand in for cattle trucks.

Cheers, Ade.

Buildings in place..jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

4 hours ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

Here is a shot showing what will be on the baseboard. The area between the cattle dock and coal store were allotments.

download (5)_LI.jpg

This is becoming a really interesting layout in the making .......can't wait for the shed .......and that's just me a distant follower....you must be counting down the days Adrian :dance_mini:

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I will have a cabin warming party once it is up! :D

Got the first coat of GWR Grey on the brake van this afternoon. (Placed one buffer in place just to see what it looks like.) Hopefully I will get another coat on tomorrow. The I can get the glazing in place and then do the hand rails in white.

Any recommendations on who does the best decals?

Cheers, Ade.

GWR Brake van kit 11.jpg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

20 hours ago, gismorail said:

The Toad Brake Van looks great bet your grinning like a Cheshire Cat and pleased as punch you first brass kit :fan::declare:

There'll be no stopping him now Martin, next a Hall, then a Castle and a King, and some fancy Platform Canopy pillars made from Brass scrap.:good:

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, Andrew P said:

There'll be no stopping him now Martin, next a Hall, then a Castle and a King, and some fancy Platform Canopy pillars made from Brass scrap.:good:

This is the great thing about RM Web we all spur each other to greater things ......I suppose it's known as leading one another astray....or possibly 'expensive' friends :scare:

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Jinty.

The custom Railtech decals are currently out of production, so I have put in a request to be notified when these are back online.

Seriously thinking of doing a "517" 0-4-2 Tank engine at some point......

Cheers, Ade.

On 28/07/2019 at 14:55, Adrian Stevenson said:

Hi Andy, what I have done is cut the coffee stirrers down to the length of a sleeper, then cut it down a bit more to allow for it being set into the ground. I have then put the bracing panels in place top and bottom just under a scale foot from top and bottom.  

Here is a work in progress pic of the side and back panel.

Cheers, Ade.

20190728_142909.jpg

Adrian, do you sand the stirrers?  

• RMweb Gold

While Lez is having her hair done, I thought that I would make the most of a sunny morning and work on the layout in the garden. Marking out the station platform is today's task.

Patch finds the whole thing exhausting....he has been no help on the subject of interlocking points and signals either:D

Patch_track_laying_(6).jpg

• Like 10
  • Funny 2

5 hours ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

If he gets involved in the cabin build quite possibly! :D

He's a cat, he's bound to ;)

As for Railtec Steve is usually rather good at getting stuff back into stock, so I wouldn't imagine it will be long, after all, he 'Liked' my comment ;)

Jinty ;)

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Jintyman said:

He's a cat, he's bound to ;)

As for Railtec Steve is usually rather good at getting stuff back into stock, so I wouldn't imagine it will be long, after all, he 'Liked' my comment ;)

Jinty ;)

I've ordered the Numbers for the 40 but waiting for them to come back into stock. I have to say, it was excellent service to my E-Mail enquiry.

• RMweb Gold

Some nice progress today. Baseboard three laid out for the first time today. Made some minor track realignments to baseboard two and the track laid out for the first time on board three. Glad to say it all now fits according to plan.  Baseboard three now painted. Cork and track to go down next. There will be another 8 foot to be added as baseboard 4. This one will be part scenic, part fiddle yard. Total layout length will then be 26 foot. 

Some grey paint added to where the station yard will start and the area between the passing loop and engine shed loop.

I am now thinking of having a curved panoramic back scene. I propose to add about another 8 inch or so behind where the engine shed will sit on the loop on baseboard two. This will allow the embankment to be modelled rather than just painted. The embankment will start on baseboard one opposite the cattle dock and run along down to towards the end of baseboard three. 

Baseboard four will be highly compressed to say the least compared to the prototype. It will feature a small girder bridge across river Avon before the line disappears into the tunnel to enter the fiddle yard. Due to the line running off at a curve towards the back of baseboard four, the fiddle yard will be fed via cassettes. 

(Photo credit to Mike Fenton's book for the prototype track plan.)

Cheers, Ade.

Three_baseboards_with_track.jpg

Prototype track plan.jpg

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

Ade,

I’m surprised that there isn’t a trap in the crossover between the goods shed & the platform - I see it isn’t shown on the plan but I’d have expected it to be required unless it’s sufficiently uphill that a stray wagon could not impede a passenger train.

Perhaps worth checking before gluing the travk down!  Try a PM to Stationmaster Mike or the expert of your choice!

cheers

simon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1