Ade's 7mm layout: Malmesbury station

Adrian Stevenson

• RMweb Gold

Hi Simon, I must admit that though crossed my mind too. Nothing worse that having to rip up track. Says the man who put a left point in situ instead of a right...

I cannot see one on this ariel photos taken in the 1930's.

Nothing mentioned in the book. Taken a couple of snaps, once again credit to Mike Fenton.

Cheers, Ade.

download (8).png

Points and Signals at Malmesbury Station.jpg

Signaling and Points.jpg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• Adrian Stevenson changed the title to Ade's 7mm layout: Malmesbury station

The date of the model will be important. Passenger services ended in 1951. The signalling was removed in 1956 when the signal cabin was demolished and all of the points became operated by adjacent levers. The protection afforded by the crossover linkage (points 7) and fpl 8 would presumably not be needed for a goods-only line.

Dave

Indeed the headshunt w/could work as protection as Chris proposes, and, from the locking table, the crossover is locked by the mainline signal 2 (and vice versa), which, coupled with the FPL, would be sufficient.

I remain slightly perplexed by up passenger working.  Perhaps I’m being dim.

atb

Simon

9 hours ago, Chrisbr said:

Which aspect of the Up passenger working perplexes?

Hi Chris,

Don’t worry, I am being dim - it’s a terminus...

It all makes sense now.

Mutter...

Simon

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

5 hours ago, Simond said:

Hi Chris,

Don’t worry, I am being dim - it’s a terminus...

It all makes sense now.

Mutter...

Simon

They say it's 'senor' moments .....I have loads of them don't worry ....:senile:just keep taking the tablets 

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

Got the second coat of wagon grey on the brake van yesterday. Tonight I have added the buffers, cleaned the wheels of paint and done the hand rails etc in white.

Just need the decals now and glazing to complete.

Cheers, Ade.

GWR Brake van kit 12.jpg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold

Thanks as ever for all the kind comments.

George had pointed out the key points to successful application of decals. I have used Micro Sol and Mirco Set  when doing military AFV models and found these really useful.

Cheers, Ade.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Cheers Ade. I used microsol but its the fiddley stuff that makes me really itch, check out 'Castle's Pooley  wagon. I just keep saying to myself "take as long as it takes to get it right unless you'll never be happy with the result until it is redone". Taking time in the first instance saves time in the long run. Keep up the great work.

• Like 1

On ‎23‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 18:32, Adrian Stevenson said:

Got a delivery date now of Sept 2nd. (They offered sooner but was later than originally scheduled :mad: and was too close to our holiday. ) So were are going to have a build a cabin party the weekend Sept 7th/8th with beer and BBQ for my mates who are going to help with the construction.

Cheers, Ade.

Hi Ade,

If I'm not mistaken your cabin looks like it is made by Dunster House. That being the case don't under estimate how long it will take to put up and paint/stain, I know as I built one last year - not as a home for a model railway I hasten to add.

You should be able to get the main structure up in a weekend but there are quite a few bits of trim / detailing parts to add afterwards which will all need treating, this and then fitting them seemed to take forever. Also if you have gone for the optional insulation that adds extra time to fit.

That being said they are an excellent, well designed product and once assembled are very solid. It will make an excellent workshop for a model railway and I'm sure you will be very pleased with your choice.

Keith.

• Thanks 1