Ade's 7mm layout: Malmesbury station

Adrian Stevenson

41 minutes ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

Hi Keith, many thanks for the info. All good to know.

I hope to get the basic structure up in first weekend. I have gone for the extra floor and ceiling insulation option.

Cheers, Ade.

Any extra floor and celling insulation has to be the right decision.

I'm looking forward to watching the progress. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Any extra floor and celling insulation has to be the right decision.

I'm looking forward to watching the progress. 

Yes, adding the extra floor and ceiling insulation is definitely the right way to go.

I too am looking forward to watching the progress. Having built one of these cabins I'm really keen to see it used to house a model railway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a Dunster House log cabin which was built 5 years ago. Excellent design and construction. Erection (or as Dunster House coyly refer to it - installation) took two blokes 3 days, though they would probably have managed it in two but for torrential rain on day 2. I think it would have taken me and a mate considerably longer! I opted for 45mm walls and extra floor and roof insulation. It has served extremely well so far once a couple of teething troubles were sorted out by Dunster House -  a faulty lock and a poorly manufactured window frame. The customer service was not great - it took multiple emails plus photos to persuade them to send a bloke out with replacement lock and window unit, but several weeks later it happened and all was fixed in an hour or so free of charge. I think the problem was that the person receiving my emails knew nothing about the construction of their products. Once he actually passed the problems on to someone else, all was sorted quickly.

Yes, it does need some minimal heat to keep frost free in winter - I use a low-wattage tubular greenhouse heater, plus a 2kw convector switched on 1/4 hour before using the shed in very cold weather. During the summer it can get extremely warm  -if the sun shines directly on the larger roof slope for too long. Keeping the windows and doors wide open helps, but 30-35 is not unusual when the outside temp is 25. Two fans make this bearable, but do little to bring the temperature down. 

My railway runs along two sides of the shed, mostly away from the windows (which I shade during sunny weather) and has not suffered unduly from the temp conditions. The only problems so far have been - i) one turnout (Peco) suffered a buckled rail (where the section is thinner) last summer where I hadn't left enough gap at the joints either side - easily fixed by sliding the fishplate out of the way and sawing 2mm from the rail end. ii) My sector plate fiddle yard requires occasional attention to rail heights either side of the join.

Once the shed was up I made reasonable progress on the layout for a while, but during the last couple of years as a result of family illness I have hardly had any shed time. When things ease off a bit maybe I'll do something of a retrospective build thread about my shed and railway. meanwhile here's a pic of the shed not long after, er, installation and after I'd begun "landscaping" its surroundings.

Keith

DSC02224.JPG.ed9e73fe4bd747029fa8b07ff19a7cd7.JPG

Edited by ocarolan
add pic
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Keith, thanks for the info. I would love to see your build in progress photos sometime.

I plan on having the layout on the opposite side of the cabin to the windows. I will be fitting these with blinds.

The heating advice is welcome and you have confirmed what Andy has recommended as well.

Cheers, Ade.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Had a trip to my local model shop at Tutbury this afternoon to pick up some more cork underlay and a couple of extra metres of track ready for baseboard four.

Got the cork cut and glued down now on baseboard three.

Also with my new found confidence with a soldering iron, I have drilled out the solder filled locating holes on the PCB on the Dapol GWR B set and soldered the working tail lamp in place.

Cheers, Ade.

Cork on baseboard three.jpg

B Set tail lamp.jpg

Edited by Adrian Stevenson
spelling
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Hello Ade I too have issues with heat/cold in my shed which is 12ft x 20ft. 

For the cold I have 2 x oil filled 2kw heaters on timers. I have also started adding 50mm jabalite foam board in the roofing to assist in keeping the heat in???

Not sure if they help in the summer to keep out the heat?

For the heat I have 3 x roller blinds 1 to each of the 3 twin double glazed windows. then in one end of the roof end walls I have 2 x venting box fans as the heat seems to dwell above head height.

By the double door I have a 18inch floor positioned box fan that blasts up at the ceiling pushing the air towards the exiting fans, it has kept me under the 30's.

Most of these items came courtesy of Screw-fix & B&Q on deals.

Cheers

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Today's little update.

The track now has droppers on every foot of rail plus droppers on each fishplate. So hopefully I should have good electrical connections.

I could not resist doing a little bit of scenic work. So I decided to have a little play with the air brush and did the final foot of track leading up to the buffers with Railmatch Sleeper Grime and then added some Woodland Scenics Ballast. Did the conventional water/washing up liquid spray followed by the water / PVA mixture via a syringe. First time doing this and I am pleased with the results. Brought the baseboard in tonight and none of it has fell off so I deem it a success!

Cheers, Ade.

20190811_174640[1].jpg

20190811_174739[1].jpg

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Guys, a little update.

The Cabin is now fully paid up and being delivered on Monday. The build will start the following weekend, just got to have good weather...

Had an email from railtec and the custom decals for the Toad are now back in stock, so these were ordered this morning while having a cup of tea on the hotel balcony looking out over the Red Sea.  Online shopping is great. :D

Cheers Ade.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

Hi Guys, a little update.

The Cabin is now fully paid up and being delivered on Monday. The build will start the following weekend, just got to have good weather...

Had an email from railtec and the custom decals for the Toad are now back in stock, so these were ordered this morning while having a cup of tea on the hotel balcony looking out over the Red Sea.  Online shopping is great. :D

Cheers Ade.

I also had an e-mail yesterday from Railtec about mine for the 40.

See you Sunday mate, have a good flight home.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

If you intend to pay at the door make sure you have cash as they are old school on the front desk and have no plastic card access.

Inside most if not all traders do have plastic access.

I may go again tomorrow so I'll look out for 2 fez wearing, long shirt-coat sandal wearing sand dancing men, Ade & Andy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq7DGvfnr3U

Have a great time

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Guys, had a very nice time yesterday at the show. Andy and I had a leisurely drive down and breakfast on the way.

Met up with George, Ian, Martin and Dave.

Picked up two more wagons for the layout, a ready built Siphon Milk wagon (ex Slaters kit) which is a good a anything I could built and a credit to whoever made it. Also got a brass kit for a Cordon Gas wagon. I have also ordered my first brass loco kit, a 517 class 0-4-2 tank engine which were the staple loco's on the Malmesbury line until replaced by the 14xx's in the 1930's. 

Thanks to Dave for help with a flat tyre when we left the show.

Just tracking the progress of the van with the cabin. 

Cheers, Ade.

Siphon Milk Van.jpg

Cordon Gas Van kit.jpg

• Like 11

If the cabin wasn't enough that wagon looks like a lot of work .  Nice simple kit too for your second wagon!!  Still good job on the brake van, so I will follow with interest especially as it's one on my wish list when time permits.

Best wishes for the weekend and hope the weather holds.

Phil

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1