Ade's 7mm layout: Malmesbury station

Adrian Stevenson

• RMweb Gold

Thanks guys!

My wife Lez's master plan is to have a hot tub next year. The line post and grape vine will come out and the tub will go in front of the cabin. The long term plan is the line will come out of the cabin and run down the side of the garden. Lez wants a siding to come off and run to the tub to deliver Gin. I think a working water tower to dispense Tonic would be a nice touch :D

Cheers, Ade.

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 1

10 hours ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

Thanks guys!

My wife Lez's master plan is to have a hot tub next year. The line post and grape vine will come out and the tub will go in front of the cabin. The long term plan is the line will come out of the cabin and run down the side of the garden. Lez wants a siding to come off and run to the tub to deliver Gin. I think a working water tower to dispense Tonic would be a nice touch :D

Cheers, Ade.

Like your thinking there Ade, very good...

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

2 minutes ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

Thanks Andy.

I reckon I am going to just give the interior a clear coat of preservative as the wood is so nice.

Another bonus was the Toad brake van transfers from Railtec arrived his morning too. 

Cheers, Ade.

Aren't you going to insulate and line the inside to keep it warmer Ade?

Hello Ade I notice that your shed has 2 by 3-4inch vents one at each end of the end roof supports.  Mine was the same but they are not enough to clear any hot air up under the roof. 

I'm taking steps to put 2x 8inch box fans in one end only the furthest away from my double doors.  I'm expecting that when it gets really hot they will aid the cooling process. Similar to you I've only insulated the roof, well actually half of it so far, with that being the hottest area of my shed

There's plenty of industrial carpet on the floor which have a 12inch air gap down to the soil.   The floor cross members rest down onto 4x2inch cross beams placed on top of breeze blocks embedded into concrete.

My walls do have a waterproof membrane between the outer wood skin and the 3mm inner skin which gives me an overall thickness of approx. 35mm.  The shed has been nice and dry if a bit hot in these mad summer days we've had of late.  In the winter I have a couple of oil-filled Dimplex heaters on timers which keeps it cosy.

The 3 double windows are also double glazed with air vent in the top.

Enjoy your home from home and do keep the pictures coming please.

Best

Edited by Barnaby
missing word.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Barnaby said:

Fantastic build Ade, it looking very cosy now.

Make sure you make a video of the first loco to run.

Best

Hi Barnaby, thanks, I will certainly do that, but it won't be any time soon. Heck of a lot still to do.

I have not built the legs for the baseboards yet.

Never mind getting power down to the cabin. We are currently having the house re-wired, so you can imagine the devastation that causes. There is plaster dust everywhere....

Cheers, Ade.

Edited by Adrian Stevenson
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Yes I can Ade as we did the same thing with our home a few years back we ended up staying in a local hotel while the sparky, the bathroom & kitchen installer guys went about their work.

My wife struggled with all the dust expecting them to clean as they went not just at the end of the day.  I used our sparky to lay a 90 feet run of armoured cable to a small consumer unit in the shed. 

That reminds me I must add some warning notices showing where the cable is buried now my neighbour has added new fencing and cleared all the trees and ivy from the area, I've got my flower beds back.

Best

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Adam.

Yesterday I had a day off from the building work and went to the Dapol Collectors Club open day event at the factory in Chirk near Wrexham. I must congratulate the staff for very well run event and it is one I will certainly attend again in the future. I came home with several bargains; another Autocoach this time with GWR lettering for £160, another two carriage B set but in the wartime austerity livery of overall Chocolate for £260 which I thought was great value. I also came home with a Star Salt van which I had pre booked to build myself again a bargain for £15. They even through in a free weathering spray job on the van.

No work on the cabin today as the house is trashed after the rewire. Just the kitchen and the cable to the cabin now to complete. So we have massive clean up job to do. At the moment Mr Trebus would feel at home with the state of every room.......

Cheers Ade.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Yes I fancied going to that show but didn't find out enough about it.  I've heard from others that it was a good show so I'll make some head-up prompts for the next one.

Looks like you got some bargains on your visit.

Best

• RMweb Gold

Hi Barnaby, you need to be a Dapol Collectors Club member in order to attend. Membership is £25 a year and is well worth it given the amount of club only offers plus various discounts. (The usual disclaimer, just a satisfied customer.)

The weather is looking reasonable for Saturday so hoping to crack on with the cabin then. The basic power line will be laid on Friday according to our sparky.

Cheers, Ade.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1