Ade's 7mm layout: Malmesbury station

Adrian Stevenson

• RMweb Gold

Photos as promised. The parcels office appears on page 164 of Mike Fenton's book. Not sure where the corrugated hut was sited but it's definitely from Malmesbury apparently. I'd always fancied modelling the station in 3mm scale...one day maybe. :rolleyes:

Hope these are of use to you.

Bob.

2005_0328Image0001.JPG

2005_0328Image0033.JPG

2005_0328Image0034.JPG

2005_0328Image0036.JPG

2005_0328Image0039.JPG

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Fair point Dave. The corrugated iron hut doesn't appear to be the one from the buffer stop end. I can only assume there was another one on site somewhere (will check Mike Fenton's book). According to the chap I spoke to at Blunsdon the parcels office itself was taken away for private use post-closure and does appear to have been modified.

The photos were taken in 2005, not been back there since.

Bob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Certainly not the tin hut from the platform end, but I did not think it was to start with. I have not come across another on site apart from one used as a stable for the coal merchant's horse, which is a different size too. Interesting.

The parcels office was modified as it had a bigger door. But that is often the fate of wooden buildings, they are easy to change.

Cheers, Ade.

Parcels office.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Today I got some more work done on the cabin.

As I had a lot of off cut timber logs (due to having extra windows) it seemed a shame to turn these into fire wood. A quick check on the amount of wood has allowed me to turn them into baseboard legs. They are 45mm thick so they are nice and substantial. I now have enough cut to do all the baseboards with four legs each. Just got to buy some timber for bracing. I have gone with a height of  42 inches. I like a fairly high baseboard as it allows easier access underneath plus it is a bit nearer eye level as I love to get down to eye level to view the models. So here is a quick snap of baseboard one.

Also got my Dapol GWR square post home signals in the post yesterday.

Cheers, Ade.

20191103_151322.jpg

IMG_2290.JPG

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

Thanks Chris. It has cost an arm and a leg, but my very tolerant wife Lez will get her conservatory back. It will also house my wargames kit.

Cheers, Ade.

I can imagine it did but it certainly looks the part and I've no doubt it was well worth it........especially for Lez getting her conservatory back :mocking_mini:

Sarah is also very tolerant which is a good thing as I currently play in inhabit what could have been a dining room :huh:

11 minutes ago, Ian Major said:

................I look forward to seeing the layout develop in there.

Ian.

Me too

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I agree with Ian, I’m envious in a good way, I’d love to model in O gauge but I just don’t have the space (I’d argue I haven’t got enough room for OO)

Maybe when I grow up (like that’s ever going to happen :lol:)

We rent at the moment but when we’re in a position to buy I’ll have to make sure there’s a decent size garage, garden or spare room ;)

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

I was admiring your railway room on the previous page and was interested to hear you discuss the roof.

Can I ask what type of roof shingles you are using? I am looking to upgrade my felt roof on my 12'X8' Apex roofed shed in the spring and I am currently evaluating my options. I have considered rubber sheet and metal clad up to now, but not shingles.

All the best,

James

• RMweb Gold

Hi James, the shingles are black felt, quite thick and about a foot square. They are laid with a good wide overlap. A mate across the road who ordered a cabin after seeing mine has just started laying his. They go down on top of the plastic membrane with adhesive and nails. Sorry I cannot recall the brand name.

Cheers Ade.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jamest said:

Can I ask what type of roof shingles you are using? I am looking to upgrade my felt roof on my 12'X8' Apex roofed shed in the spring and I am currently evaluating my options.

The roof covering on our shed is from Onduline, see here.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

A fine day today, so all the final roof insulation boards are now in place on the cabin. Started to add the barge boards too. Sorry no pics, the light beat me again....

The next task is to start the shingles.

New A3 purchase can be seen in the Hattons forum.

Cheers, Ade.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Adrian Stevenson said:

The cream coloured paint for the cabin is being delivered tomorrow.  I have gone for a spirit based microporous paint by a company called Osmo. It comes highly recommended. Not cheap but I want to protect my investment. 

Cheers, Ade.

You generally get what you pay for but I thought you’d have gone for GWR light and dark stone ;)

Chris

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

Hi Chris, no Lez really did not like those colours and given she has been so good about it all, I have gone for chocolate and cream.

Cheers, Ade.

I can understand that, Sarah wasn’t too keen on light stone walls and dark stone coving and skirting boards in the bedroom :lol:

Chocolate and Cream is a good combination :)

• Funny 3

2 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

I can understand that, Sarah wasn’t too keen on light stone walls and dark stone coving and skirting boards in the bedroom :lol:

Maybe because that's an exterior paint scheme? Interiors would have been from one of several other schemes based on browns, greens, blues &c. (See the GWR structure colours book for details). The inside of my workshop is done as close as I could get to the brown scheme for the colours. Not quite sure that it was worth the effort since it's largely obscured by furniture and mess: 20191010_082313.jpg.872ccc57d2ca0321c73ff11b8eded961.jpg

• Like 4