Ade's 7mm layout: Malmesbury station

Adrian Stevenson

• RMweb Gold

Spent the day painting with the new Osmo paint. I like it very much. It goes on easy and covers really well. It smells strong but I don't mind that.

I have been working inside as it was too wet to start the exterior. Had a good day with the heater on and the music cranked up. I have been doing the trim bits, barge boards etc this morning, then this afternoon I started the ceiling in the end of the cabin. Just taken a quick snap in the dark just to give you some idea of what it looks like with one coat.

Cheers, Ade.

20191116_180626[1].jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andy, yes the roof is insulated on the outside with foam and chipboard. The walls are already 45mm thick. The floor is insulated. It soon gets warm with just one heater plugged in.

Looking forwards to getting all this building work finished and finally getting some modelling done.

Should get some more painting done tomorrow.

Cheers, Ade.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

Thanks for the photo! I had not seen it before, brilliant.

Managed to get a coat of preservative on the outside of the cabin today.

Cheers, Ade.

Before, between, after or instead of WORK, haha.:nono:

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

:D

Hi Andy, I am taking every opportunity to get the cabin painted whenever I can...

The exterior walls have had two primer coats on the front and rear wall, while the side walls have had a single primer coat. 

Today I have carried on painting the inside. The roof is almost done along with three walls. The left side window wall is now left to do. This is first coat of course, so all to do again for the second coat....But hopefully all this effort will be repaid in the long term.

I have been very taken with the 1950's colour photo kindly posted by Baggies1961. I keep going back to it time and time again. Interesting to see how tree growth affects the site over a 20 year period.

I am off to the NEC Warley show tomorrow. 

The Heljan Collect 0-6-0 Goods sounds a welcome announcement and is certainly of interest to me, whenever it turns up.

Cheers, Ade.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Some very detailed historical research has shown that when the GWR altered their track from 'Broad Gauge' to 'Narrow Gauge' , the track through Malmesbury was laid with only 2ft between the rails - at least that's what we tried to tell Ade when he stopped for a chat at the 7mm Narrow Gauge Association stand . . . . . . . . . . . 

Remember to come and see us at Mickleover in January - an opportunity to spend your Christmas money !

Mike

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Started to build up the KS Laser Designs Engine Shed inspection pit kit. Fits together very nice. Will give a coat of paint next before fitting the other side.

I did not realise that the kit contains two of these pits. I only need one for my layout.

Cheers, Ade.

Engine shed inspection pit kit.jpg

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Got the inspection pit sprayed up in grey primer. I have a length of set track straight which I am going to glue in place over the pit and then cut the sleepers away so just the rails and chairs will be left.

More painting done in the cabin today, the roof is now painted overall. More trim items done too.

As some of you might have read yesterday we had the surprise birth of Grandson baby Arthur a month earlier than expected. Mum and baby doing well.

Cheers, Ade.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the likes etc. Spent an hour or two tonight cutting out more parts and folding up. Not done any soldering yet. Luckily the gas tanks are plastic tubes, so no rolling out and joining them up. Just have to cut them to length.

Cheers, Ade.

• Like 2