Ade's 7mm layout: Malmesbury station

Adrian Stevenson

• RMweb Gold

Hi Simon, the kit is by WEP Models. I am happy with it. Maybe the brass is a bit thinner than big Jim's kits but all folds up nice and the fit seems good. It is fairly complex for a beginner like me, but I am taking it easy and I think it will be work out ok. Some things, like the brakes, seem over complex having to solder two halves together then add the brake shoe.

https://www.walsallmodelindustries.co.uk/

Hi Chris, I was surprised how easy it was, only burnt my finger once and only just a quick "ouch" and not real burn. It is worth having a go at as it opens up a new world of models.

Cheers, Ade.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

27 minutes ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

Tonight's little Cordon kit build up date. Started on the first two of the nine gas tanks. White metal ends fitted to the frames for the tanks too.

Cheers, Ade.

Cordon gas tanks.jpg

What sort of Gas did they carry, and what were they used for Ade?

19 hours ago, Andrew P said:

What sort of Gas did they carry, and what were they used for Ade?

I believe it was called "oil gas" and even after gas lighting became obsolete was used for re-fuelling catering vehicles - right into B.R. days.

Ray.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Did some more on the Cordon last night.

I would have liked to have gone to the Reading O gauge trade show today, but given the forecast of dry weather I made the decision to give it a miss and forge on with the cabin.

I gave the two long side walls another coat of base coat preservative. So all the exterior walls and doors have now had two coats.  (Next job will be to paint them Cream.) I then moved onto fitting the barge boards and trims on the window wall side. This done, I got the first row of roof shingles fitted in place.

Feeling knackered but pleased and having a bottle of Merlot now to relax. :D Going back to interior painting tomorrow as the weather forecast is for rain again...

Cheers, Ade.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Well you wouldn’t get me out there today.  Done my share of D.I.Y in in the sleet and snow.  Think a large tarp and wait for the spring but there again I am a soft southerner.  Better to have a nice cuppa put the soldering iron on, look out the window and think glad I’m not outside in this.  Good on you, nice to see a good job in 7 mm and 12” to the foot.

Phil

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

I dream of getting to that stage :D

Cheers, Ade.

I think it’s a little like driving a car, you look at your instruments, keep an eye on them.  Then look up at the road in front, then a quick glance to the far horizon. Every little step is a victory, an achievement, a bit of an ambition fulfilled. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

Managed to get a few hours off today and now the shingles are done on the left side up to the apex of the roof.

Cheers, Ade.

I take it you don't fancy a night on the tiles then.:imsohappy:

• Funny 8

• RMweb Gold

The cold and wet weather made me retreat to working indoors this weekend. The interior has now got the first coat of cream coloured paint done as of yesterday.

Today I made a start on the second coat. The roof at the far end has been done along with the rear wall. The wall in the right of the pic is just first coat. There are some trim parts to fit between the roof and walls to hide the gaps.

Cheers, Ade.

20191215_150406.jpg

• Like 14