Ade's 7mm layout: Malmesbury station

Adrian Stevenson

• RMweb Gold

Top stuff, Ade. 

A very fine home for what will undoubtedly be a very fine layout. I have to say  I would love an environment like that in which to plonk my trainset. 

Rob. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Nice shine, but why not Sky Blue?:no: No back scene required then Ade.:yes:

It's certainly got a nice shine to it. did you use a flash for that pic?

Still got to go over the bottom half in BROWN.  .:laugh:

Only joking, looks nice, bright and welcoming.

Phil

Edited by O-Gauge-Phil
  • Like 3

Just a thought, don’t!

you probably don’t want your shed providing a distraction (still less a colour clash) from your models.  

I’d definitely go for “neutral”

tho it’s only an opinion, I haven’t got an example to share 

atb

Simon

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Just been down to the cabin to check on the paintwork. Dried OK.

We had been hoping to get away to Egypt over Xmas, but prices have gone crazy since Thomas Cook went bust. Almost £2000 increase per person (!) since last Xmas....so that is not happening.

So hopefully I will get some more work done. I would like to get the legs put onto the baseboards once all the walls are painted.

Cheers, Ade.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

A work colleague who visits Egypt frequently recommends these  https://www.orbitaltravel.co.uk/cruises/nile-river-cruises?fbclid=IwAR1skqPEaZF_O34O02SKMcJSVXfpeGJx0fRbf_YyZ4HbhCa9i61dgQGx0wI

Tell them Helen Munds sent you...

Edited by colin penfold
addendum
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Simond said:

Just a thought, don’t!

you probably don’t want your shed providing a distraction (still less a colour clash) from your models.  

I’d definitely go for “neutral”

tho it’s only an opinion, I haven’t got an example to share 

atb

Simon

I'm not sure why you'd go for an exterior paint scheme on the inside. The internal colour schemes are noted in the GWSG publication on structure colours. I chose the brown scheme for my own space since the blue or green schemes could have come out 'cold'. They'd have originally been distemper of course and the colour swatches are a little on the small side for the custom colour matching service in B&Q. Here's the result.

20191010_082313.jpg

Yes that's right - you can't really see it for benches, other furniture, tools and clutter

Edited by richbrummitt
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

More work been done on the 12 inch to one foot scale. :D The second coat of paint on the interior is nearly complete, just the window wall to complete now. Also more shingles done on the right side of the roof. 

I would like to say Merry Christmas to everyone on RM web. Thanks for all the kind comments on my project over the past year. Best wishes for 2020!

Cheers, Ade.

Xmas Card.jpg

Edited by Adrian Stevenson
  • Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Hope everyone is having a great Christmas?

Having done the family visits over the past two days, Lez and I were on our own today. So while Lez caught up on her Soap's, I had a good day painting in the cabin. 

Pleased to say all the walls are now finished! Just the window frames to paint now. Then various trim bits can be added.

My next indoor task will be to add the legs to the baseboards. 

I can also now start to think about blinds, electrics, floor coverings, etc. Lez has bought me two security cameras with WiFi connection to my phone so I can keeps tabs on everything.

Just need some dry weather now (!) to get the outside finished.

Cheers, Ade.

• Like 2

SO, :o  Laying on the Beach in Egypt, you can see inside your Shed and do some serious planning.

Pity you can't install Radio Control, you could play Trains when on Holiday or even, (heavens forbid) at WORK. haha:nono:

• Like 1

Ade,

My name is Dan, I'm from the states on the other side of big blue. I wanted to let you know that my Son and I are really enjoying this forum series, mainly because we're also are starting our very own Malmesbury Branchline as well! This forum has provided a wealth of information, and in particular I enjoy the building progress thus far. I mean your Malmesbury branch simply rules the roost, it even has a dedicated building for it!  I love the fact that the forum even has posted photos of the real location as it stands now.

We got our inspiration by playing on the Train simulator addon "The Malmesbury Branch" and have immensely enjoyed it. Often we're playing in Multiplayer mode on this computer simulator and have frequently used the Malmesbury Branch to keep us preoccupied. I recently happen to come across a brass GWR Pannier listed on ebay, located Connecticut and purchased it. This pannier featured an Arch Bar Cab Version in '00' scale. A chain reaction as now started since that purchase, we have started collecting tracks pieces as required for this branchline.

I am curious however about the other end of the branch line, it seems as if continued via the Great Somerford Halt before meeting the main line at Dauntsey. Sometime 1933 the line to Dauntsey was abandoned and a connection to the mainline at Little Somerford was made. Does the book you feature make any mention of that part of the branchline?

Please keep posting with this inspirational layout.

Dan T.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dan, thanks for the kind comments.

Yes, Mike's book covers all about Great Summerford and Dauntsey with plans of the line and photos of the stations, bridges etc. The book is my "bible". It would be well worth you seeking out a copy.

Hope to get some real modelling done in the New Year. The cabin build has been a long slog!

Cheers, Ade.

• Like 2

Looks like it won’t be long before it’s time to put the whole thing on some skates and head off down the M1, I’ll pm you my post code and don’t worry there will be another cuppa waiting for you.  

Is the cabin heated now and can you nip in for a warm up?

Nearly there now, I would have thought it’s now okay to leave the rest until spring but I bet you were out there today.

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dan, glad you have ordered the book, it will not disappoint. I am planning on moving in January.

Hi Phil, LOL! At the moment I am just running the extension cable to the cabin from the outside socket. I only heat it when I am in there at the moment, but will have some wall mounted heaters with WiFi timers installed. A single 2000kw electric heater really warms it up.

Today I have been painted again. Got the front done and the two thirds of the window wall done. I have also fitted the fascia board at the far end. 

Cheers, Ade.

Fascia board fitted.jpg

• Like 10

Great work Ade, it really does look solid.

Just a question in passing did you really mean 2000kw, that sounds very fierce and would be very expensive to run. 

Here's a closer look: 2000 watt electric heater = 2kW that runs for 1 hour uses 2 kWh of electricity with the formula Power x Running Time = Energy Used (2kW x 1 hr = 2kWh) which when you multiply the tariff with, (2kWh x 2kWh) you come up with 30.00 pence per hour.

If yours is 1000 times more the cost would be 30 x 1000 pence/hr or £300/hr to run.  yikes.

My 20ft x 12ft cabin toast on 2 x 2kw heaters, switching to one to reduce costings yet keeping me snug & warm.  One heater is oil filled and runs on a stat to prep the cabin the other is a convector heater which I only have on when I'm about.

:o

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

13 hours ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

A tiny bit of modelling now. Just painted and added the lens to the Modelu GWR tail lamps I bought at Warley. I need to buy the side lamps too...

Cheers, Ade.

20191230_192806.jpg

4 hours ago, Dan Taddeo said:

Ade,

Nice detailing! i love how the rivets just pops out. Can't wait to see more!

Dan T.

I agree Dan, and once Ade has done his magic with the weathering they will look even better.

Cracking job young Ade.:good:

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1