Ade's 7mm layout: Malmesbury station

Adrian Stevenson

• RMweb Gold

Hi Chris, thanks. I like to work as neatly as possible.

I was really keen to ensure that the plastic web between each sleeper was fully covered. I applied it a tea spoonful at a time and used a paintbrush to brush it into place.

The acid test of approval will come from my Brother in Law, he works on the railways laying track and ballast for a living.

Cheers, Ade.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

Hi Chris, thanks. I like to work as neatly as possible.

I was really keen to ensure that the plastic web between each sleeper was fully covered. I applied it a tea spoonful at a time and used a paintbrush to brush it into place.

The acid test of approval will come from my Brother in Law, he works on the railways laying track and ballast for a living.

Cheers, Ade.

Well i don't think you'll have any worries from him as they just throw into place :o

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

Had a good day out at Kettering today and had the pleasure of meeting O Gauge Phil and Shez from the forum for the first time.

Had a good chat with Mike B too.

I was really good and actually bought nothing ( I could have spent thousands! LOL)

But I have enough work to proceed with. Hopefully more ballasting will get done tomorrow.

Cheers, Ade.

• Like 7

16 hours ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

Had a good day out at Kettering today and had the pleasure of meeting O Gauge Phil and Shez from the forum for the first time.

Had a good chat with Mike B too.

I was really good and actually bought nothing ( I could have spent thousands! LOL)

But I have enough work to proceed with. Hopefully more ballasting will get done tomorrow.

Cheers, Ade.

Well done that man, Hahahaha save your money up for your first loco kit?

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

It was great to meet you yesterday, well done for spotting us - I am usually too engrossed in the stands to notice anyone!  I could be standing next to a naked Britney Spears!  It was nice to hear about your exploits, hope we can meet up again sometime.

5B1E8AC8-454E-43E9-B51A-428B34239C88.jpeg

2691851D-ECB0-479C-B182-02CCD61EA6A8.jpeg

Edited by O-Gauge-Phil
  • Like 5

Bet it does.  I also have one to build, after the 57xx,and the Hall, got the Harris wheels too, so I'm looking forwards to that. 

I think that it can be far easier not quicker but a lot less grief to build a Malcolm Mitchell kit even for someone relatively new to kit building, though it's more complex than some of the cheaper kits (once you have mastered the art of soldering) because everything fits.  Jazz - what is your take on that?  Can't think of anyone more qualified to comment on that one.

Edited by O-Gauge-Phil
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I built a Finney 47xx as my first essay in etched brass.  As you say, it all fits.  It was a tad challenging from a "peco crossover" point of view, but I persevered and eventually won!

I'd always recommend a beginner getting a kit with a good reputation for fit and assembly.  There are some right dogs out there, could put off even a seasoned builder.

atb

Simon

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 09/03/2020 at 09:32, O-Gauge-Phil said:

Bet it does.  I also have one to build, after the 57xx,and the Hall, got the Harris wheels too, so I'm looking forwards to that. 

I think that it can be far easier not quicker but a lot less grief to build a Malcolm Mitchell kit even for someone relatively new to kit building, though it's more complex than some of the cheaper kits (once you have mastered the art of soldering) because everything fits.  Jazz - what is your take on that?  Can't think of anyone more qualified to comment on that one.

I go along with that.  Although I have found not all the kits in a given range are equal in design and fit. It's rare if ever to get one that everything is a perfect.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hope everyone is doing OK in these strange times?

Last weekend I added the rest of the ballast to the track. It is all in place now, but not glued down yet, so that is my task for tomorrow. I have run out of Woodland scenics ballast, so I will need another tub once I go on to complete baseboard 4.

We are unsure if work will be open or not next week? I had my militaria sale yesterday which was unaffected and actually did very well with 100% of all items sold! But if we do close, I have plenty of tasks at home to be getting on with.

Cheers, Ade.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

Hope everyone is doing OK in these strange times?

We are unsure if work will be open or not next week?

We got sent home 3 weeks ago. It's been very strange especially living on my tod. Could be worse though as can cycle without any risk of contact and the roads are quieter than usual. 

The organisation I've been volunteering at had virtual drinks last night and was surprisingly fun. I suspect given the direction of travel anyway, many firms will reduce office space if they've managed without any at all.

I did get a knock at the door today by a man with a gift from Dapol which we exchanged at arms length and I can thoroughly recommend a 58xx!

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 5

Agree with Craig's comments the track work does have a very natural flow to the configuration well done. The interesting aspect regarding this area of your project is due to the era every detail will be well maintained so need to plant weeds etc as there would have been a regular track gang on hand to keep things in good condition 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1