Ade's 7mm layout: Malmesbury station

Adrian Stevenson

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Phil and to everyone who has "liked".

Today I have done the spring hangers, springs, brakes, vacuum gear etc. Also painted one set of seats. Amazing where the hours go to...

But I really do need to crack on. Looks like I am going back to work the first week in May for 4 days. And Lez wants that kitchen doing.....

Cheers, Ade.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

Just folded up the first running board for the 1st/3rd compo. A tricky 2mm fold to start with then the whole thing is folded over again to form the board.

Note to anyone who is building or planning on build these kits: carefully read the instructions for making the cutouts for the axleboxes.

Cheers, Ade. 

20200426_122423.jpg

Edited by Adrian Stevenson
clarity
  • Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Gerry, glad this is of use and of interest.

I don't yet own a proper folding tool. I intend to buy a "Hold and Fold" tool, but the size I would want is about £90 I think and it will have to wait.

Proper model engineers look away now!  How I have done it is this: run a stanley knife blade down the etched line a couple of times. For the 2mm fold I put the etch under a steel ruler and clamped this to the edge of the bench. I then got a small hammer and tapped the etch folding it over against the ruler. This made a nice 90 degree bend. You can then clamp the etch and make the next fold getting it so far and then gently tap it right over.  Being brass it is easy to bend and straighten up.

Hi Tender, on the Malmesbury line the carriages saw over 40 years of service. They were replaced by the B set in 1934. Most had gone out of regular passenger use before the war.

Some great info on 4 wheelers here:

http://penrhos.me.uk/Udiags.shtml

Cheers, Ade.

20200426_193504.jpg

Edited by Adrian Stevenson
Added a photo
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

A “scrawker” is easier to use and more effective than a Stanley knife.  As luck would have it, two minutes with a Dremel and a grinding wheel will create a scrawker from an old Stanley knife blade...

image.jpeg.1c4b0cd4ac6177bef282d38fe10a898c.jpeg

the cutting edge is inside the “hook” and it peels off a thin curl as you drag it up the half-etched groove.  Ideal for preparing an etch for bending - or indeed, cutting sheet material without it curling - handy when yo7 start scratch building :)

bending bars & hold-and-folds are well worth the cost, if you’re going to use them enough.

atb

Simon

Edited by Simond
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hi Ade,

Thanks for the advice on bending the running boards, very much appreciated.

You really are making good progress and I shall continuing watching with interest.

Regards

Gerry

• Thanks 1

yes, we can all help you spend your cash!!

GW Rivet press.  not cheap but very capable

I have a homebrew bender for small stuff, and a Metalsmiths one for when I was building my Blacksmith's coaches, it'll do a 70 footer, but that might be overkill!

atb

Simon

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

After decorating today, I managed to get the last running boards folded up and soldered on. :D

Cheers, Ade.

Decorating?....shhh! Thus far I’ve managed to avoid that :lol:

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

Two things - Ade, computer and RM problems have not accepted comments but great work.

Andy - not decorating but intending to 'modify' the new abode ... that will involve decorating!

• Like 1