Ade's 7mm layout: Malmesbury station

Adrian Stevenson

The Locoman Terrier sound chip sounds good, I've tried two different sound chips so far in my terrier and not been that impressed with either. Where did you get the Locoman chip from?

Don't forget to sync the chuffs to the wheel rotation.

Ray.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Had a productive day yesterday and made a start on the final baseboard, No 4. 

The design of this had not been finalised until yesterday after some measurements had been taken. The final scenic board will add another two feet to the layout. This will allow the mainline to cross a bridge over the river Avon and disappear into the tunnel as per the prototype. Because of the amount of compression to the scene, I will have to lose the distant signal and just have the home signal.

The board will go off at an angle to the other boards to allow the track to then run parallel to the cabin wall.

As readers of my thread will know, I had not made up my mind on the fiddle yard. Now the last board has been designed and some measurements taken, I can now have a 4 track traverser with each track five foot in length. This will taken the longest loco the A3 plus two carriages. This traverser will allow through running out of the cabin into the garden for the proposed 40 foot garden line. Also it will not impinge into the doorway when rolled out.

So I have got the 9mm plywood cut to size and the baseboard legs. Just need to buy some 4 x 1 for making the framework. But this will have to wait till payday.

Cheers, Ade.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

The new bigger 8 ohm speaker has arrived for the A3 and is now fitted. I want to have a go at altering some CV's of the sounds to make one or two a bit louder. Once I have done that, (Never tried this before!) I will get Lez to do a little video.

This afternoon I decided to paint the baseboard legs the same colour as the cabin to tie the colour scheme together. Got all 14 painted back and front.

The next big project is adding a 3m x 3m decking to the front of the cabin to provide a seating area and that is arriving on Tuesday. So busy times as ever. 

Cheers, Ade.

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Hi Ade. Nice to see your 7MM Malmesbury Layout. I Live in Malmesbury and am looking at starting a N Gauge version which i have been meaning to do for years. I have Mike Fentons book

From when he did a talk here at the Town Hall.

Just thought this might give you some help with the scenery. It is a youtube video from a train simulator game and it is all the Malmesbury line to Little Summerford.

Will be following your build with interest. Great work.

Rgds Chris

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Julian, it was similar. I have all the sizes in Mike's book so hopefully when I build it it should be straightforwards to do.

I actually did some work on the layout last night. Inspired by Duncan's ("Fastdax") work, I decided to make a start doing the rust to the sides of the rails and the chairs. I used some weathering powders from my wargames box and did a mixture of red rust and dark brown. Not taken a photo yet but pleased with the results. Got a fair amount done including the goods line buffers and looking forwards to doing the rest.

Cheers, Ade.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

I think the adjustable risers for the decking look like A/T Mines!

They are a good bit of kit though, as they allow an adjustment of 30mm to get things dead level. Makes life easy.

Hopefully I will get some more done today.

Cheers, Ade.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

I think you could go a touch more orange on the rail, Ade,somehow it dosen't look quite right.(I have seen some parts nearly black,but I think that could be oil or grease.

ATB

Phil

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Phil, still a work in progress at the moment as the ballast needs more weathering, but I have ran out of black paint..

The track around the platform was pretty dirty looking at some period images. So plenty to go at.

Cheers, Ade.

22 hours ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

Had a good day on the decking yesterday, but rain has now stopped play for today.

Here is a shot taken from the conservatory.

The balustrade, which is laid out on the deck, will go down either side. I have checked the height of this and it will not interfere with the exit of the garden line from the cabin. The black plastic grid on the foreground is the base for Lez's hot tub. Laid out the slabs for the proposed path which will be set into the gravel.

Cheers, Ade.

20200611_113133[1].jpg

Looking at that picture I am trying to decide if your neighbours either side are both into trampolining or you have strategically placed a couple of nets to safely catch any models thrown as a result of a temper tantrum when things aren't going to plan. :D

• Funny 5

6 hours ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

Hi Phil, still a work in progress at the moment as the ballast needs more weathering, but I have ran out of black paint..

The track around the platform was pretty dirty looking at some period images. So plenty to go at.

Cheers, Ade.

Hi Ade, looking good.

Personally, I would go for a slightly darker shade. I've seen many models spoilt by being too orange in the rail department. I agree that some parts were mainly rust but it appears to be more darker grime and dirt, oil etc.

I'm trying to recall some layout pictures as an example but it's late where I am and my tiny brain cannot remember for now; will try harder!

It's your layout after all so whatever you're happy with.

Regards, Deano.

Morning Ade, Some good stuff going on here mate, love the wagons, with the track l normally use the airbrush with 'Railmatch' sleeper grime and various matt blacks without painting the sides of the rails first, l just do them at the same time...much better finish IMHO, looking forward to a meet up at a show whenever that is ?.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

11 hours ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

Morning George, thanks!

I have sprayed the sleeper grime first too. 

I think the only show not cancelled is Telford in August.

Cheers, Ade.

No l think thats been scraped as well ?

• Thanks 1