Ade's 7mm layout: Malmesbury station

Adrian Stevenson

Hello Ade, Nice to hear you are both OK, good luck with the loco build when you start it, just take your time and you will have a loco to be proud of, and l'm sure more loco's will follow as it's very addictive...take care.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks George.

I have ordered the wheels from Slaters this morning. And also ordered the correct pattern chimney from Laurie, as the kit does not come with one, given there are three possible patterns, long medium and short. Once you have chosen your prototype, Laurie sends you the one you need.

Just the motor and gearbox to acquire now. I am going with Ken's recommendation once these are back in stock.

Cheers, Ade.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

Hi Guys, hope everyone is safe and well?

Not much modelling to report as we have been away on holiday for two weeks. But I have spent my time in the sun doing some research on my 517 class kit build. The GWR 517 class came in a myriad of versions. Naturally, I wanted an engine that was located at Malmesbury shed, but also had some design features which I wanted to incorporate in the model. As the 517 class inspired the later 58xx (which I have an example of ) I wanted it to be visually a little different. I have chosen to model number 545. This was a 15 foot wheelbase loco and had the inside bearings for the trailing wheels. It also had the earlier style open cab. It was shedded at Malmesbury in 1924/25. I have a photo of this engine taken in 1925 to work from. 

Although I am not starting the kit yet, I have spent a hour this afternoon cleaning up some of the brass castings for the dome and safety valve covers.

I have ordered the buffer beam decals now to finish 5802.

Cheers, Ade.

Ade will watch this with interest as I have salted away what I hope is a more straightforward / less complex kit -the Eric Underhill one.

Other than purchasing number plates for number 545 it is as far as it’s gone.

I have a copy of the Malcom Mitchell instructions it suggests 544 received a closed cab quite early under Churchward, but I’ve not seen photos?

Best wishes

Richard

Edited by rprodgers
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Richard, Malcolm's instruction are pretty comprehensive, I am impressed with the detail he goes into.

Here is the photo of 545 I am going to work from, care of Mike Fenton's book on the Malmesbury line.

My number plate's will go on order in the New Year as Narrow Plant have now closed their order books for 2020.

Cheers, Ade.

GWR class 517 number 545..JPG

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 25/10/2020 at 09:08, Adrian Stevenson said:

Just the motor and gearbox to acquire now. I am going with Ken's recommendation once these are back in stock.

Cheers, Ade.

Hi Ade.  The Taff Vale Models motor/gear box are back in stock. (Just purchased three of them)

The gearbox fret will need a small fettle remember.

Look forward to seeing her finished.    Ken

PS. You will need the long shaft motor, the short shaft a just a little too short for the worm wheel.

Edited by jazz
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

Hi Richard, Malcolm's instruction are pretty comprehensive, I am impressed with the detail he goes into.

Here is the photo of 545 I am going to work from, care of Mike Fenton's book on the Malmesbury line.

My number plate's will go on order in the New Year as Narrow Plant have now closed their order books for 2020.

Cheers, Ade.

GWR class 517 number 545..JPG

Ade please accept my apologises I had misread page 5 of the MM instructions it was 544, 546 -8 that received full cabs in the Churchward period.

Sorry for unintentionally muddying the waters

Best wishes

R

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, daifly said:

Clearly just assembled from a kit, here's 544:

707991453_544atunknownloc.JPG.394cb030a4f44c38383686f34a556d3d.JPG

Dave

Dave thank you for a very clear photo of 544 - one I wasn't aware of and much better than the one I had -which shows it "on the road" at Wood End, Warks in the 20s .

Is this just before they take it apart or after its been reassembled :)

Edited by rprodgers

There is a reference somewhere to round topped boiler versions of the 517 type lasting into the 1920s but I haven't seen a photo (until the one posted above) which very clearly demonstrates that to be the case. I have a liking for round topped boilers (rather than the Belpaire type): "Swan Hill" is set in the 20s and a 517 will be needed for the branch/junction service. 

Adrian - I'll follow your progress on the build with interest.

Kit PW

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blogs/blog/2502-swan-hill/

Edited by kitpw
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Guys, had an afternoon in the cabin today.

I have been working on installing the Cobalt DCC point motors. I knew that the second point on the layout (which is on the run around loop and switches to the engine shed line) fell foul of one of the cross braces under the baseboard. Sod's Law. Thankfully due to the depth of the bracing, I could cut a slot out of it leaving about half an inch of timber intact and so not severing it completely. This was done with a drill and then chisel the rest of the timber out. Not pretty but it did the job. The other point motors are all ok and fit without baseboard issues. Just one more to fit now. Only got the first one wired up, so lots more work to do yet. 

Earlier this week I added some Agrax Earthshade to the grill vent panels on the Sentinel. These now have a bit more depth to them compared to last weeks picture. 

Cheers, Ade.

Sentinel No12.jpg

• Like 19

On 28/10/2020 at 17:25, Adrian Stevenson said:

The Fox Bufferbeam Transfers and the Slaters wheels for the 517 both arrived yesterday. Today the chimney for the 517 also arrived.

Last night I removed the numbers from 5802 and then repainted the bufferbeams. Once dry I gave the area where the numbers would sit a coat of gloss varnish. Today I applied the decals and once set I then gave them a coat of matt varnish. Perfect results with no silvering.

While I was at it, I also did the same for Sentinel No12. Not 100% sure if it ever carried the number, given it was only on trial. I will order some number plates from Narrow Planet next year. But it does make the loco more attractive.

I have also moved the controller from its temporary position at the far end of the layout and moved it to a central position. Started cutting some leftover 9mm ply from the baseboards to construct a sloped panel on which the controller, mimic track plan and point levers will sit. With the hand held control box you can then almost walk to each end of the layout.

Photos taken tonight with a new photo lamp on a tripod which came as a surprise gift from Lez. You can have warm or cold white and vary the brightness. Pleased with the results.

Cheers, Ade.

12 with branch set.jpg

5802 with branch set.jpg

Hi Ade, 

You're doing a marvelous job, I have a question for you. Sorry to change the subject a little, but I am curious.

I assume the coaches you have are the Slaters GWR 6 Wheeled coaches, having built them do you think the underframes would be suitable for converting to have other body sides on top of the chassis? As I know you can do this in 4mm so I am guessing there's not a problem in 7mm? 

Thanks in advance. 

Tom

Your layout Malmesbury is coming along very nicely Ade.  It makes sense to have the controls situated at the centre of the layout world.

I see you have gone for the Colbalt point motors, I too have just ordered their SS surface mounted ones to replace my existing wire in tube push/pull system.   

I've also taken up their control PCB for the point control it's  much easier to just plug in the point motor wire and switch or button press to set the point.   The control also switches the frog and ops some leds which I'm thinking I could add to my mimic plan, need to check that out though.

Beautiful work Ade, quality.

Best

Wow just read your good news about Lez that you have just posted.  That's fantastic, one door closes another . . . . . .   :yahoo:

Edited by Barnaby
Good news addition
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1