Ade's 7mm layout: Malmesbury station

Adrian Stevenson

Some excellent work Ade and wow at last developments around the platform area .... I was wondering if you were being paid for the advertising rights to the insulation company :clapping:

As to the presence of the cat I'm sure you know that cats don't have owners they have STAFF.......:sungum:

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

After my parcel arrived late this morning from Precision Paints, today's job was to fit the cosmetic fishplates in place on the track. The are very neat items in moulded dark brown ABS plastic. Very pleased with them. The usual disclaimer applies. They fit over the top of the Peco metal fishplates. Just cut off the sprue and superglue in place. I will carry on with this task tomorrow. Done about half the layout today, but only on the viewing side.

Cheers, Ade.

Cosmetic Fishplates.jpg

• Like 18
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

After my parcel arrived late this morning from Precision Paints, today's job was to fit the cosmetic fishplates in place on the track. The are very neat items in moulded dark brown ABS plastic. Very pleased with them. The usual disclaimer applies. They fit over the top of the Peco metal fishplates. Just cut off the sprue and superglue in place. I will carry on with this task tomorrow. Done about half the layout today, but only on the viewing side.

Cheers, Ade.

Cosmetic Fishplates.jpg

You 7mm boys have much better toys :( :lol:

I’m really enjoying watching your layout come to life Ade :good:

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Another staff member here too.

That close up detail shot of the track rail showing the cosmetic fishplate is looking very good.  Do you intend to paint them or just leave well alone? 

Maybe just a smattering of colour to break up the uniformity of the plate colour would do.

I've got mine to-do when I complete my ballasting, mine came from C&L.

https://www.clfinescale.co.uk/online-store/Rail-Chairs-c32279085

Best

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

Cheers, Ade.

Cosmetic Fishplates.jpg

Agree with others comments excellent addition to the track work .......but ........you do know that the cat will notice the lack of fish plates on the none viewing side while wandering around the layout :jester:

• Funny 4

7 hours ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

Hi Barnaby, I do intend to paint them. Just need to work out the best shade to represent the grease applied to them in real life.

Keep looking after the cat :D

Cheers, Ade.

Hi Ade,having done greasing fish plates and oiling point at Chasewater,I can tell you that the grease is black,but doesn't run,so tends to stick where it's put,on the inside faces and on the sloping faces that mate up to the underside of the rail head.Otherwise light or dark rust,depending on how old they are,mostly rail colour.

Hope this helps,

atb

Phil

PS next time I go I'll take some photos.

Edited by 34006
Further thought!
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 26/10/2020 at 18:10, Adrian Stevenson said:

Taken up Ken's recommendation and ordered the motor and gearbox today for the 517.

Cheers, Ade.

Hi Ade,

Sorry to back track, I also have the 517 which will be built in the near future. The video over on my thread ( which I think you seen of my Armstrong Goods ) has the combined motor and gearbox and with a bit of running in I am pleased with its performance so it should be ok for your build. One good thing with the gears are the fact that they are not the straight cut variety but bevelled which makes meshing so much cleaner.

Malcolm does recommend the RG7 which I happen to have so I am going with that for now but it may well be changed in the further for one similar to the Armstrong. As an aside I've only put a TCS decoder in it to test and the motor responds well.

Keep up the good work.

G

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Fishplates are greased periodically to ensure that the rails can slide against them, to accommodate expansion. Hence the darker colour in @Barnaby's photo. (I picked this up as a follower of the Lynton & Barnstaple's website: fishplate greasing is a frequent activity for their p/way volunteers, usually on days when Exmoor is at its most atmospheric.) I'd say the ones on @Adrian Stevenson's track look about right in the photo but maybe in the flesh they'd look a bit plasticky without painting.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Simond said:

thought ours was a solid beast, but that’s one bonny cat, that.  

He has grown quite a lot, his name is Hercules but we call him Teddy. He is coming up for ten and was very neglected before we bought him from Blue Cross in Torquay. He is so affectionate to both my wife and me and a great boost for us as our son has Aspergers and ocd.

On railway.jpg

total relaxation.jpg

IMG_20200921_165547121.jpg

IMG_20200921_165250838.jpg

• Like 5

I’m not a fan of Portescaps, though they are supremely efficient, and provide extraordinary torque.  

I have two, and I am replacing them with Premier 2-stage helical, which don’t whine, and do produce the goods, grunt-wise.

my 45xx is due under the knife soon-ish, and my 47 will follow in due course.

if anyone would like first dibs on well loved, but lightly used, Portescaps, drop me a pm, and we can debate!  They will be advertised on WT when I actually extract them from the locos in question, but right now, the Garratt is taking priority.

atb

Simon

• Like 1

Alan,

I see you are doubly blessed, a bonny cat and a wife who gets involved (well, I’m making an assumption that the lady in the photo is your wife :) ) 

MrsD was seen at Romney MES with r/c gear in hand driving my 16mm live steam Prince many years back.  It elicited the comment “you lucky b...”, to which the only answer is, well, yes...

atb
Simon

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 2