Ade's 7mm layout: Malmesbury station

Adrian Stevenson

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

The shrubbery arrived safely from sunny Spain. Very pleased with this product. Usual disclaimer applies. I bought 4 packs not knowing how far it would go. One of the problems when buying online. This is why I really miss the shows. But so far I have only used 2 packs. You tease the stalks apart and then twist them around to the desired shape and cut to length. They are slightly sticky and hold the shape well. Simply afix in place on the layout with PVA.

The shrubbery looks of decent quality Ade, do you have a link please and did you have to pay an import tax on the stuff.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rob, it was from here. The shade I bought was the light green.

https://www.greenstuffworld.com/en/scenery-and-resin/961-tall-shrubbery-light-green.html

No stockists in the UK had any in stock.

They add the tax in with the P&P and the total bill was about £35 all in. So about £8.75 a pack.

Communication was excellent throughout and got emails at each stage.

Cheers, Ade.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

15 hours ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

Thanks Andy.

One more shot of the railcar I forgot to add earlier.

I am really enjoying doing the scenics.

Cheers, Ade.

IMG_0619.JPG

seeing that does make it so tempting 

Ade,

When I saw your proposed photo caption of "The shape of things to come" I permitted myself a chuckle. Pannier tank 9659 outlasted the Flying Bananas by 3 years!

Ah yes - not to forget. Your rendition of Malmesbury is going from strength to strength.

Ian. 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

Hi Guys, this weekend I have been doing a bit more on the layout.

Had some photographic card enamel signs arrive to go on the station approach fencing, plus some GWR signs too for the crossing. Cut these out with a scalpel and then coloured the edges and reverse black with a Sharpie pen. I also mocked up the station porters office to get a rough idea of where this will sit.

IMG_0689.JPG.59550df389b27c73488546109143d8d9.JPG

The Suttons Seeds sign is actually prototypical for the fence on the end of the platform. The signs were then glued on and some more static grass added up to the fence. Nice to have some colour on the layout.

IMG_0692.JPG.51abb3f9ee510f8822aa29b9bfbc2ebe.JPG

Trespass signs were then fixed onto some rail, one I have show painted and one unpainted.

IMG_0690.JPG.42bf324d0f8844279cae80a2879c7d5e.JPG

IMG_0691.JPG.cb0eecf09e243540e15dd7b34704369a.JPG 

I then weathered the loading gauge with some soot powder.

IMG_0698.JPG.908c0b25701d9825027d74144701cbd7.JPG

Next job was to add the gates to Lovers Lane crossing (Temporary in place as the baseboard is unfinished) There will need to be some kissing gates too.

IMG_0693.JPG.d1db4b6ce5c7dfd1f06c279ad3981123.JPG

IMG_0694.JPG.8d1265a7fa646a967931fb309d9e85d7.JPG

IMG_0696.JPG.a1deea2f529d3b52d33611ffba531d9e.JPGIMG_0695.JPG.6e4b9e1c66a3244205fcbdafd06723f7.JPG

IMG_0697.JPG.72bb48caf580b1b9f54c46606f8bd664.JPG

IMG_0699.JPG.0726cdfe7993298a6b43e04825ae0e93.JPG

I then decided to make a start on the end back scene board just to get an idea of where the river will go (represented by the kitchen roll) and do a cut out for the tunnel entrance. I ran out of primer. I balance it on Patch's cabin bed for the photo. The telegraph pole will be moved over to the other side of the track. The backscene will sit where it is shown in the photo. Behind this will be the fiddle yard on a traverser.

IMG_0703.JPG.bb318b0766e7f9887a3863d2fbd4f7c5.JPG

As you can see this baseboard will need to be cut for the river and bridge.

Cheers, Ade.

Lovely,  really coming to life now

Cheers

David

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning Ade, greetings from sunny Spain.

Ive just spent the last hour scrolling through your Malmesbury and I must say this is going to be a terrific layout. There is something captivating about a 7mm GWR BLT.  

Im only half way through at the moment, so will get up to date later this morning - we are off to register for our vaccine today! 

Re: your comments on my Henley thread; Those Sankey scenic signs really do make a difference, they look great on your fence.

PS. Lovely railway room.

Regards, Neal.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Morning Ade, greetings from sunny Spain.

Ive just spent the last hour scrolling through your Malmesbury and I must say this is going to be a terrific layout. There is something captivating about a 7mm GWR BLT.  

Im only half way through at the moment, so will get up to date later this morning - we are off to register for our vaccine today! 

Re: your comments on my Henley thread; Those Sankey scenic signs really do make a difference, they look great on your fence.

PS. Lovely railway room.

Regards, Neal.

I'm up to date now Ade! Malmsbury is looking a real treat with all the scenery going down.

Excellent railway, thanks for sharing.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 23/02/2021 at 18:30, Adrian Stevenson said:

As I had a very short offcut of track, I cut this up and added a few spare sleepers stacked in the engine shed yard having seen a photo of this. 

For verisimilitude, it is worth cutting the keys off those chairs: they can't stay in place on their own, on the real thing, and it would be a nice touch to carefully pare them away with a scalpel. 

Even nicer as so very few people bother to do this.

Edited by Regularity
Autocorrect doesn’t know of “verisimilitude”, although it does.
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2