Ade's 7mm layout: Malmesbury station

Adrian Stevenson

• RMweb Gold

Tank framework has now been cleaned up, tie bar brackets soldered in place and now primed up.

Still not fixed together yet as parts such as the tanks need spraying up black first and then glued together as you go along to order to ensure everything is painted.

That will be it now for today as the paint needs to fully harden before any more  work can be done.

Cheers, Ade.

8649E7DD-CD7E-49EC-92A4-04DF20ED594B.jpeg

Edited by Adrian Stevenson
Spelling
  • Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

1 hour ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

Tank framework has now been cleaned up, tie bar brackets soldered in place and now primed up.

Still not fixed together yet as parts such as the tanks need spraying up black first and then glued together as you go along to order to ensure everything is painted.

That will be it now for today as the paint needs to fully harden before any mark work can be done.

Cheers, Ade.

8649E7DD-CD7E-49EC-92A4-04DF20ED594B.jpeg

Lovely work Ade, may I ask how you intend securely fixing the pipework once it is painted ?

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Been looking at period photos of these wagons and I am now having serious doubts as to the recommended colour of black? ( Shades of the GWR Loco coal wagon colour discussion here...) But I am starting to think they could have been grey overall ?

The photos I have of a Cordon in Malmesbury station is parked up next to a Siphon milk wagon, which we know would have been brown. The Cordon is a lighter shade, even allowing for fading and weathering I cannot see this as starting life as black..

Any thoughts?

Cheers, Ade.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

I can remember seeing one of those regularly parked near a shed close to where I lived. They did start off black, but they acquired a patina of dirt, like a lot of Locomotives at that time. Any black and white photographs taken do show more of a pale grey tone due to the dry, dusty appearance of the dirt.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andy, yes this summer should see a start being made.

I got a sound chip and stay alive for the Sentinel yesterday. Will do a video of it at the weekend, most likely on Sunday. But here is a picture to be going on with. The firebox flicker is linked to the sound of the fireman shovelling the coal. Just needs a crew now to complete the job. The haulage capacity for such a tiny loco is good as I had it pulling 5 vans and the brake van.

Cheers, Ade.

ABC62A44-886B-4B4E-9782-74547EF8CD21.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 18/04/2021 at 20:34, Adrian Stevenson said:

Been looking at period photos of these wagons and I am now having serious doubts as to the recommended colour of black? ( Shades of the GWR Loco coal wagon colour discussion here...) But I am starting to think they could have been grey overall ?

The photos I have of a Cordon in Malmesbury station is parked up next to a Siphon milk wagon, which we know would have been brown. The Cordon is a lighter shade, even allowing for fading and weathering I cannot see this as starting life as black..

Any thoughts?

Cheers, Ade.

There's a pre-war photograph here of Birmingham Snow Hill with a Cordon in the background. Is it the same colour as the Toad?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1