Ade's 7mm layout: Malmesbury station

Adrian Stevenson

Ade,

The cattle wagons are looking very good. The Slaters wagon kits can be a challenge (try the milk tank!) but most satisfying. I tried but failed to work on kits whilst on holiday. Too many distractions, usually the kids,  plus I always managed to lose something.

The jig-saw that Lez has done got me thinking about other things that Cuneo produced. So I had a dig around my box of old documents, or junk as my Mother used to call it, and found my copy of the 1962 Tri-Ang catalogue. The front cover is from a painting by Cuneo that Tri-Ang commissioned.

659028843_Triangcataloguefrontcover.jpg.a1f43c0abef8209c92da961311cc7c98.jpg

Inside on the first page is a photo of a Britannia "dirtied" by Cuneo. This was a very early example of "weathering" as we call it now, may be one of the first. By today's standards it is rather crude but pointed a way forward. Looking at modelling magazines from that time I could find no other examples. 

162346804_Triangcataloguep1.jpg.e56d6d31cc5dd9faeff87d65e6420a05.jpg

I have a copy of the First 10 Years" book. In it is a 5 page article by Cuneo about how he approached the application of dirt.

Equally interesting is the book's foreword that was written by a certain Dr Richard Beeching!

Looking forward to seeing the cattle wagons in use on Malmesbury.

Ian.

BTW Did you buy Lez some shoes from Street whilst you were down there?  ;)  

BTW2 I tried to spot Cuneo's trademark mouse on Lez's jig-saw but couldn't find it.  Since the signature is missing I suspect the mouse has also been cropped off by the jig-saw maker.

Edited by Ian Major
  • Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ian, my Dad worked at Boots in their picture framing dept for 38 years and he was a big fan of Cuneo. Which rubbed off on me. Thanks for showing the old catalogs. Lez and I both couldn’t find the mouse on the jigsaw either. When we were at the NRM last year we were surprised that there was no mention of the mouse in the huge original Cuneo they have on display. I am sure kids would love to try and find it. We did!

I should finish the wagons at the weekend. Back to work tomorrow.

Cheers, Ade.

• Like 6

Good work on the wagons Ade, your a dab hand, Wish I still lived around the corner, I'd have commissioned you to do the two Grampus I have to build, paint, letter and weather up before July.

Keep up the good work.:good:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Good work on the wagons Ade, your a dab hand, Wish I still lived around the corner, I'd have commissioned you to do the two Grampus I have to build, paint, letter and weather up before July.

Keep up the good work.:good:

Good luck with those Andy, I have just built one, they are not bad but don't rank as my favourite kit ever to build....

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, 37114 said:

Good luck with those Andy, I have just built one, they are not bad but don't rank as my favourite kit ever to build....

Thanks for putting me off Phil, :fie: they'll probably never get done now, I sold the last one I had to George T last year because I couldn't be ars@d to make it.:scratchhead:

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 04/05/2021 at 15:46, Adrian Stevenson said:

Hi Ian, my Dad worked at Boots in their picture framing dept for 38 years and he was a big fan of Cuneo. Which rubbed off on me. Thanks for showing the old catalogs. Lez and I both couldn’t find the mouse on the jigsaw either. When we were at the NRM last year we were surprised that there was no mention of the mouse in the huge original Cuneo they have on display. I am sure kids would love to try and find it. We did!

I should finish the wagons at the weekend. Back to work tomorrow.

Cheers, Ade.

I am sure I read somewhere that Cuneo did not start including a mouse in his paintings until 1953. You jigsaw picture was painted slightly earlier

Cheers

David

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

Thanks David.

I did check some images of the original painting and as suspected it is trimmed down on the puzzle.

Layout work has ground to a halt this week. We had our second jab on Saturday. Felt very rough on Sunday and Monday and still feeling tired since then. Hopefully will be able to do a bit at the weekend on the wagons.

Cheers, Ade.

• Friendly/supportive 9

A great relief I'm sure to be fully vaccinated.  I've only had my first shot and will get my second in August.  I had a run down day after my shot but was right as rain a day later.

John

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi Ade, hope the effects soon wear off. Out of interest, which did you have? (Obviously its confidential if you so desire and I won't be offended if you say so)

I have my second shot next week. (Pfizer) No effects from the first so we'll see?! Holding breath!

Regards, Deano.

Edited by Deano747
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

I had the Oxford one. The first time was not too bad, felt like a hangover and the just tired for a day. But this time was much worse. But all ok now.

Glad you're okay.

Sarah had no side effects after the first jab (Oxford) but the second one knocked her for six 

I had my first one mid April as soon as my age group was allowed. I had the Moderna one and I was fine other than having a 'dead arm' for a few days, I tried to milk it for sympathy but that failed. I've got my second one first week of July

Even though Sarah and I are the same age she had her jabs much earlier than me due to being classed as a key worker

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 4

Hi Ade, Glad your getting back to normal mate.

I had the Oxford AZ and no effects from either, and Dee had the Pfizer and the same, no side effects.. 

Get some modelling done to take your mind off it.:D

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 4