Ade's 7mm layout: Malmesbury station

Adrian Stevenson

12 hours ago, brossard said:

I like Dapol screw links, good value.  The spring can be a bit wimbly so a stiffer spring from the scrap box might be in order.

John

I am a big fan of Dapol's Instanter coupling - best on the market with a centre link that looks the part

Paul R

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Set up at Hampton Loade at a nice spot to do a bit of modelling  on the GUV before tea.

Had a great day seeing Flying Scotsman and Union of South Africa this morning. See my thread in the preservation forum for pics.

Looking forward to the show tomorrow.

Cheers, Ade.

0E81825E-5CB7-4EE7-8532-1C2DE2DBC21D.jpeg

• Like 14

I think it looks quite plausible, a branch-line autocoach with a white roof would show the grime like that between infrequent cleaning. The bodysides would have been cleaned more often but even then there would have been awkward corners and dirt traps. 

On the FfR most of our stock is cleaned every few days in season but if you look closely it’s not practical to keep them perfect. And that’s in a modern ‘clean air act’ world. 

Mol

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

For roofs in general, I airbrush a broad band of earth followed by a narrower band of black.  To my eye this simulates the varying buildup of soot, ash and muck.  The dirt buildup is lighter at the roof edges and heavier in the middle.

John

• Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

Chaps,

Please remember that back in the pre WWII world the white roofs would be painted with Lead based paints, which reacted with the sulphur in the smoke to rapidly turn grey - it wasn't all soot deposits, but a natural chemical reaction.

Lead based paints are now forbidden on health grounds and more durable white pigments are used.

Regards

Chris H

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Talking at the weekend about this with the chaps from Dapol. One of their customers could remember the autocoaches in the pre war GWR era and was adamant that the roofs were never white. So much so, they did him a custom grey roof on one as he was such a good client!

Cheers, Ade.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 1

I googled “coach roof” - looking only at the few prototype photos that appeared to be original rather than preserved, they were varying shades of grey, but quite uniform. 

the photos did not show streaking or other “features” 

Im away at the moment, I’ll have a look ag some book photos when I get home

i think the dirt trapped in the framing is very much as I recall seeing on photos, and brings the whole vehicle into relief

atb

simon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Its amusing really where we all draw the line prototypically. For me the weathering accentuates the panelling and looks convincing so I did mine like that regardless of how clean they may actually have been.

Besides which, there were only actually six of this design of autocoach but must be getting towards 6 reruns by now! First mover advantage though - I'd be very surprised if anyone does a more common alternative.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, Simond said:

I googled “coach roof” - looking only at the few prototype photos that appeared to be original rather than preserved, they were varying shades of grey, but quite uniform. 

the photos did not show streaking or other “features” 

Yes, as @Metropolitan H says, its the paint that changes colour, rather than an accumulation of dirt, that is the main mechanism for the roof turning grey - though of course dirt happens too. If you want to be thorough, you'll have to estimate the time between the date at which you are modelling and the date at which the vehicle was last repainted, and choose the shade of grey accordingly. I dare say white would be good for a few months, at least. Naturally RTR manufacturers present their models in ex-works condition. 

Preserved vehicles are no guide at all - their roofs are not painted with lead-based paint and even if they were, they're not exposed to the same pollutants - sulphur compounds produced by the burning of coal - to the same extent.

• Like 2

I built some NBR coaches (62C) for a friend.  I did the roofs in white but he repainted them grey.  Good for him.

I confess I wasn't thinking about white roofs when I commented above.  My stock is in the early '60s era so everything would be grey anyway.

John

Edited by brossard
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1