Ade's 7mm layout: Malmesbury station

Adrian Stevenson

Hi Ade, glad you sorted it out though, I have done it the daft way, too busy working on track instead of clearing up some clutter, then testing a loco on the track it kept shorting out etc, scratched my head etc etc, moved said crap some time later, found a needle file across the rails ................... :fool:

Best regards

Craig.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Ade,

I notice you were considering cassettes for storage.

I'm making them for my new build.  If they are successful, I may well rip out the traverser on my big* line and use the cassettes I'm currently building on that as well.

To try and keep the costs down, I'm using rail soldered to copper clad sleepers rather than using aluminium angle.  Bases will be MDF with ply sides. ( A right mish-mash, but I have it in my left over stock pile.

Because I run end to end and use Dingham couplings the cassettes will be handed so that the stock doesn't inadvertently get turned around.

Cassette to cassette electrical connection will be two male connectors at one end and two female connectors at the other (which helps in the handing issue mentioned above.)

The current plan with the connectors is to make then from brass angle, tube and rod, and use the angle to fit the connectors into the right angle where the sides meet the floor of the cassette.

This should ensure automatic alignment.  (Please note the 'Should'.) 

*  They are the same length!!

• Informative/Useful 2

I decided to go simple this time and have used the BLUEPOINT system obtainable from NGM trains.

It's a push-pull system for point operation and includes 2 micro-switches , one for frog polarity switching and the other for an accessory. 

BluePoint.jpg

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

Spot on that Ade, fell behind with mine. Im going to use wooden dowel to change my points so must pull the proverbial finger out and drill them through and fix the wire to the underside of the point and the fix the track down.

Got all my ballast and acrylics at the ready.

Love what you've done to date.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Alan, unlike many, I actually enjoy doing ballasting.

I have some ariel photos of the main line and looks pretty filthy where the locomotives stood. I have been taking photos at a few preserved lines last year for inspiration.

Cheers, Ade.

download (4).png

• Like 5

Well done Ade I've taken inspiration from your ballasting and got on today to finish my track wiring.  I just needed to connect up the finishing track ends, job done.

Now I can get on with the ballasting, hard standing and stone setts areas.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1