Ade's 7mm layout: Malmesbury station

Adrian Stevenson

45 minutes ago, gismorail said:

Oh that's OK then ...but just you wait till you get into the new home .....Dee's got a 'massive' list for you mate :crazy_mini:

NO,,,,,,, For the Kids to do,:sarcastic: remember, I didn't / don't want to have to move.

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

Not much to report as decorating has taken all my time and given me a bad back. :(

But the couplings have arrived and I have enlarged the slots in the buffer beams and these now fit nicely.

I have also put the vacuum hoses together.  I rather like these as they actually can be coupled together which should look great on the layout. 

Cheers, Ade.

20200429_183322.jpg

20200429_183146.jpg

20200429_183258.jpg

It's the 'little' things like these that make 7mm very appealing.......

Rob. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

48 minutes ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

Hi, Simon is correct they are from Slaters. They came as part of the kit, but they can be purchased as a separate item at £8 a pair. They are three part construction.

Cheers, Ade.

Thank you Ade, I must have a closer look in my kits, they're probably in there somewhere.

• RMweb Premium

They look good but the only problem I've found with them is they are very prone to snagging and pulling themselves apart, particularly on your clothing. I tend to run a piece of wire inside the spring now to try and protect them. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Your 43 reminds me that I have a kit waiting...

nice to get some running, though what Mr Churchward might have said if he’s seen that pacific is anybody’s guess!

cheers

Simon

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

Hi Ade,

Been slowly going through your thread and catching up with your excellent work, very impressed.

Can i ask what the overall size of the layout is? I'm sure its in there somewhere but i couldn't find it.

Thanks.

Ray.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ray, the overall size of the layout at present is 18 foot x 3 foot. But the next baseboard will extend this up to the full length of the cabin which will make it 26 foot long overall. The next stage after that will take the line out into the garden for another 40 foot.

Cheers, Ade.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

It’s a shame that you had to go back to word, a wort, a worm, worse, no sorry just can’t get that four letter word out!  Could be getting on with the coaches.

I’m a bit slow, but you commented on Crimson livery “ Been looking at my reference book again. I am starting to get tempted by Crimson Lake. The branch set was still wearing this in 1931. Now, if I could afford the cost and the build time I would buy another set.......“  Well, I was on YouTube and I saw a rake of four wheelers in Crimson Lake snaking out of the bay platform and onto the main line, 4 mm, very nice, really looked good.  Maybe after the summer when the nights are getting darker, well then another two would be nice and then there’s Christmas and an early Christmas present.

Your street party sounds really good, we’ll raise a glass,

Cheers, Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Guys, thanks for the comments.

I decided to add to glowing firebox to the A3 tonight. Having seen what others have done, I thought that I would have a go. I had noticed that others had opened up the whole oval moulding on the firebox, which is not quite right. The oval moulding of the firebox door does not represent what actually opens. The door hinges open but only half way from what I have seen on images of the real thing. So first I took off the cab and then drilled a few holes in the firebox door and preceded to open these up with a file. I then cut a door from some scrap brass and soldered on a brass rod to represent the hinge. This was then glued into place. I have a glowing firebox kit coming from Train Tec which will fit behind the firebox door. I thought this would be an easier option that hard wiring one in, as I have yet to DCC sound chip the loco.

Cheers, Ade.

20200504_201027.jpg

20200505_205849.jpg

20200505_222032.jpg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

Finished work on Thursday and managed to get the light unit fitted.

We had our social distanced VE Day 75 street party on Friday, then yesterday we had another small celebration for our Russian friend's May 9th Victory Day. 

So finally got some pictures done. I added some coal to the tender and have also made some guard irons from brass and fitted these today.

I have also ordered some early style cylinder drain cocks from Laurie Griffin.

Cheers, Ade.

20200509_141449.jpg

20200509_141500.jpg

20200509_142648.jpg

20200510_191003.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Gold

Been a quite week on the modelling front. 

But the early pattern drain cocks are now fitted to the A3's cylinders. The original ones came off very easily. Opened up the holes with the pin vice drill and filed the new brass castings to fit and then glued in place.

Cheers, Ade.

A3 drain cocks.jpg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4