Ade's 7mm layout: Malmesbury station

Adrian Stevenson

24 minutes ago, Deano747 said:

Hi Ade/ Lez

Very quiet on here. Hopefully things working out in these very stressful times.

Best regards

Deano.

Deano's right Ade, I hope it's only earning Wonga that's keeping you from posting on here mate.

We're all looking forward to some updates.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Guys, thanks for the messages!

What's new? Well we are fighting Lez's redundancy, don't think it will be ultimately successful, but we don't give up easily as there are things happening which are not right.

My 86 year old Dad also has had a fall  this week, so looking after him. Thankfully just cuts and bruises. 

Two weeks ago we decided to spend the last three days of our holiday in York. We need some cheering up, so we stayed at the "Grand", which is the former HQ of the North Eastern Railway. Very nice indeed! Got a good last minute deal. Naturally, we spent our first day NRM. Covid19 measures were in place, had to wear a mask etc. Most of the museum was open, bar the model shop and model railway. I will post some pics. 

On the model railway front some progress this week. I managed to purchase the 517 kit. This will be a long term project as it needs motor, gear box, wheels, etc. But at least I have the kit secured. Andy will recall I had a problem with a sound chip, this is now repaired and I have fitted this to my LT Pannier tank. Works a treat now.

Cheers, Ade.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 16

53 minutes ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

What's new? Well we are fighting Lez's redundancy, don't think it will be ultimately successful, but we don't give up easily as there are things happening which are not right.

My 86 year old Dad also has had a fall  this week, so looking after him. Thankfully just cuts and bruises. 

Two weeks ago we decided to spend the last three days of our holiday in York. We need some cheering up, so we stayed at the "Grand", which is the former HQ of the North Eastern Railway. Very nice indeed! Got a good last minute deal. Naturally, we spent our first day NRM. Covid19 measures were in place, had to wear a mask etc. Most of the museum was open, bar the model shop and model railway. I will post some pics. 

On the model railway front some progress this week. I managed to purchase the 517 kit. This will be a long term project as it needs motor, gear box, wheels, etc. But at least I have the kit secured. Andy will recall I had a problem with a sound chip, this is now repaired and I have fitted this to my LT Pannier tank. Works a treat now.

Cheers, Ade.

Good to have a chat on the phone earlier Ade, as I said then, I wish you and Lez well with you fight, and hope your Dad make a quick recovery.

All the best mate, and keep the post's coming.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Ade,

Hope the fight goes well it has happened to me twice in the past, stress you dont need.

Next time your in York give me a shout would love to meet up with you even if it just to say hello. Im about 25 miles from York. 
Wish you both all the best and good to see you back.

Regards

Julian.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

Here is a pic of the kit. What is nice is that all the rivet detail does not need impressing.

MM1_517_kit.jpg

Its a nice kit Ade, you should enjoy building it....once you've read the encyclopaedic instructions ( which is no bad thing ).

G

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

Cheers, Ade.

Good to hear from you Ade. As others have said, good luck with the 'fight'! Hope your dad recovers ok too; been there with my late father years ago. Quite a worry!

All the v best

Deano.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 3 weeks later...

The number plate looks good Ade cracking fit mate ....best of luck with the DCC concepts motors  afraid I'm not a fan of them to be honest had problems in the past as has a friend of mine, always tend to use the tortoise motors which are very reliable in my humble opinion. 

Sorry to hear about Lez's employment situation but I'm sure that an opportunity will come along very soon just keep positive 

Regards 

Martin 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

Hi Martin, thanks for the comments. I will let you know how I get on with the point motors! Looking forwards to getting them going.

Surprised about your house move, so good luck with that. 

Cheers, Ade.

Surprised myself to be honest Ade.:O but having completed the renovations and the very hot property market I made the decision to go for it and it looks as if it's paid off....... the cottage that I am purchasing is much smaller but the garden is large so the added bonus to build a BIG model railway shed just had to be done ......sleepless night have now taken over as plans rush through my mind in the early hours .....:crazy:

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Guys, hope everyone is safe and well?

Not much modelling to report as we have been away on holiday for two weeks. But I have spent my time in the sun doing some research on my 517 class kit build. The GWR 517 class came in a myriad of versions. Naturally, I wanted an engine that was located at Malmesbury shed, but also had some design features which I wanted to incorporate in the model. As the 517 class inspired the later 58xx (which I have an example of ) I wanted it to be visually a little different. I have chosen to model number 545. This was a 15 foot wheelbase loco and had the inside bearings for the trailing wheels. It also had the earlier style open cab. It was shedded at Malmesbury in 1924/25. I have a photo of this engine taken in 1925 to work from. 

Although I am not starting the kit yet, I have spent a hour this afternoon cleaning up some of the brass castings for the dome and safety valve covers.

I have ordered the buffer beam decals now to finish 5802.

Cheers, Ade.

Edited by Adrian Stevenson
  • Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1