Ade's 7mm layout: Malmesbury station

Adrian Stevenson

• RMweb Gold

The Jinty (a rule 1 loco :D ) was also bought yesterday for the bargain price of £150 from Dapol due to a tiny glue mark just under the dome. A quick application of some soot powder has virtually made this disappear. As a Triang/Hornby Jinty was my first loco as a kid, I just had to buy it...

20190303_164625.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Got some track down on baseboard two tonight with droppers in place. 

The main line is on the left, then the loop then the engine shed loop to the right.

Edited by Adrian Stevenson
Better photo needed
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Got the coal load fitted to the Jinty as well tonight.

I have some brown paint being delivered tomorrow so I can prime the baseboards ready for when the scenic's get started. Which won't be for a long time yet I know, but it will still be progress.

Getting a quote for a concrete base for the log cabin this week.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

20190303_222121.jpg

Good to see track going down.

But my first reaction was that the tracks seem too close together. I don't want to teach you how to

suck eggs, but a check on clearances etc might be worthwhile.

Of course it could be a trick of the camera, or my ageing eyesight.

All the best

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Adrian,

I agree with Mulgabill. There must be some weird distortion in that photo if those tracks have 77mm centres ( the closest that any two adjacent tracks should be).

I think it would be worth re-checking before you get too far with track laying.

Best wishes,

Peter

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

I have to agree, the spacing between the inner rails does appear to be less than gauge, whereas it should be more

6’ = 72”:  4’ 8.5” = 56.5”.   The ratio should be about 5:4

if in doubt, put a couple of coaches on the track and ensure they pass one another.

best

Simon

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Just to put minds at rest here is a quick snap of the track. 42mm between each rail.

Thanks again the concerns raised. You guys are great. I really like the helpful and supportive atmosphere here.

Cheers, Ade.

20190304_212004.jpg

Edited by Adrian Stevenson
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

Just to put minds at rest here is a quick snap of the track. 42mm between each rail.

Thanks again the concerns raised. You guys are great. I really like the helpful and supportive atmosphere here.

Cheers, Ade.

20190304_212004.jpg

Hi,

If minimum is 77 then 42 between plus 32 for two haves is technically a bit short. Not a lot admittedly (tho nearly 10% of the gap between the tracks) and enough have mentioned it to suggest it shows...

cheers

Edited by Hal Nail

8 minutes ago, Simond said:

don't forget the thickness of the rail head!

Board of Trade requirements for the distance between adjacent lines are measurements between the running faces of the rails...  so the thickness of the rail can be omitted.  Hence a "6 foot" is 42mm and a "ten foot" is 70mm.  What I have not seen is a description of how the 6-foot changes in relation to the radius of the curves - any one know?

Edited by Western Star

• RMweb Gold

In the Guild PDF, this is mentioned about spacing on curves:

Note: The Guild Standard track centre distances are 80mm between main lines and 90mm between sidings. Additional spacing may be necessary on curves, refer to Part 2, Section 1.3. The track centres shown in the table above include a 3mm allowance for the width of the rail-heads.

But I don't have part two section1.3 to hand. Checkout the Guild site.

Hope that helps?

Cheers, Ade.

• Informative/Useful 1

"Board of Trade requirements for the distance between adjacent lines are measurements between the running faces of the rails...  so the thickness of the rail can be omitted."

yes, I agree, I was cheating!

"Hence a "6 foot" is 42mm and a "ten foot" is 70mm. "

yes but -  railwaymen refer to the area between the rails as "the four foot" even though it is rather bigger, so the "ten foot" is actually something bigger, such as 10' 8.5", which  would scale at 74.95mm.

I rather think the "modeller's approach" is to put a 42mm wide bit of wood/plastic/metal between the rails and use that to gauge double track.

If you want to get widening on double track, make your bit of wood/plastic/metal a couple of inches long, and it will automatically increase the spacing for you. 

best

Simon

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Had a good afternoon today. Track is virtually laid now on baseboard No2. Bar the two points leading to the goods shed siding and loading bay. I ran out of plastic insulating rail joiners... Also got a coat of brown paint on.

Worked out the location of the engine shed, which is really my datum for where the home signal, platform and loading bay will sit.  I now have to cut the inspection pit for the engine shed.

Cheers, Ade.

• Like 3

Sounds good mate, that shop in Swad has some insulated Rail joiners, you should have rang me, haha. Also the little Model Shop in Gresley is open Sunday Mornings and he sometimes has some second hand bits like that.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Andy. Got some coming this week via mail order.

Got another coat of paint on now.

The engine shed will be in line with the Iron minks on the loading bay spur. 

The 5 plank GWR wagon was often left on the runaround loop line for coaling the engines, according to the book and photos in the book. Kind of odd considering there was a coaling stage under the water tower behind the engine shed. 

Here is a quick snap. 

Cheers, Ade.

Baseboard_2.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

The 5 plank GWR wagon was often left on the runaround loop line for coaling the engines, according to the book and photos in the book. Kind of odd considering there was a coaling stage under the water tower behind the engine shed. 

Putting it where it is in your photo meant coal could be shovelled directly into the bunker of the branch loco, by simply stopping next to the wagon. Run rounds can pass through the loco shed: there won’t be anything going on inside it during the day.

Using the coaling stage requires shovelling the coal from wagon to stage, then stage to loco.

Picture yourself as the fireman having to shovel twice, and you’d want to put the loco coal wagon on the loop close to the main...

Edited by Regularity
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1