Ade's 7mm layout: Malmesbury station

Adrian Stevenson

Congratulations and good luck in 2021 with the new jobs for you both.

Coaches looking good too but be careful where you put them down in your similarly coloured hobby cabin or you may lose sight of them.

Best 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Final coat of Paint done on the branch set. But I now need a tin of mahogany to do the droplights. 

So I went on to build the coal staithes which were situated down beyond the goods shed. I have represented these as sleeper built. The prototype were not actually made like this, but I cannot determine from the photos I have as to what they were made from, they almost look like large sods of earth?? So I have gone with these instead. They are made from the usual coffee stirrers. I will next have to make a corrugated iron open fronted coal store and corrugated iron stable for the coal merchant's horse. I have enclosed a blown up ariel photo to this area.

Cheers, Ade.

IMG_0275.JPG

IMG_0276.JPG

IMG_0277.JPG

Malmesbury station viewed from the Abbey (2).jpg

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Gold

A corrugated iron stable for the horse sounds like a matter for the RSPCA to me.

I guess animal cruelty wasn’t a “thing” back then.

Difficult to tell much from the postage stamp photo though.

It’s all coming along very nicely Ade.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks!

Here is a earlier view of the tin stable. It was quite big and had a hay loft, so there was the stable door with another door above it for access to the hay loft.

As ever when doing a prototype location, it is important to get the details right for the era you are modelling. 

Cheers, Ade.

T12-656x357.jpg

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

Final coat of Paint done on the branch set. But I now need a tin of mahogany to do the droplights. 

So I went on to build the coal staithes which were situated down beyond the goods shed. I have represented these as sleeper built. The prototype were not actually made like this, but I cannot determine from the photos I have as to what they were made from, they almost look like large sods of earth?? So I have gone with these instead. They are made from the usual coffee stirrers. I will next have to make a corrugated iron open fronted coal store and corrugated iron stable for the coal merchant's horse. I have enclosed a blown up ariel photo to this area.

Cheers, Ade.

IMG_0275.JPG

IMG_0276.JPG

IMG_0277.JPG

Malmesbury station viewed from the Abbey (2).jpg

Exactly what I use Ade, very useful they are too.   The platform is one of the things the stirrers have made.

128002606_countyclass5-1.jpg.9bced49fe51778371be559b8a65fa258.jpg

• Like 7

Hi Ade

To go with the stirrers, I suggest you try coffee cup sleeves for the corrugated iron.

I used them on Helstonish. A bit course for 4mmm  but should look good in 7mm.

Layouts progressing well, keep it up.

All the best

TONY

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

Thanks.

The lever are by DCC Concepts. You can buy them singularly or in multi packs of six or twelve, which work out cheaper.

Cheers, Ade. 

And don't they look good mate, well done.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1