Ade's 7mm layout: Malmesbury station

Adrian Stevenson

That's great Ade.Now all you need to do is fill all the holes in the bottom of the chairs.......................

I'll get my coat..........

atb

Phil

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

What a great tip that was, I'm embarrassed to say although I was a driver in a shunt yard that's something I'd not thought of doing.  My trackside sleepers will be treat to that treatment. :good_mini:

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

I have now removed the keys off the spare sleepers.

Thanks again for the tip.

Cheers, Ade.

Spare sleepers.JPG

You are welcome.

Now you need to fill those holes at the base!

1 hour ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

The E Z line arrived yesterday so today I fitted this to the Telegraph poles. Nice product. Usual disclaimer applies.

Cheers, Ade.

A8CE8C89-7A59-4336-8128-BDF3C01447E7.jpeg

E11E4293-F9DA-4814-85C8-886A711EA534.jpeg

Must be extremely cold. The lines are tight and have gone blue! 

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

Thanks as always.

The lines were actually copper wire back in the day, hence the colour. The trouble is, we are all too young to remember this. Nice to feel young for once LOL.

You can get this product in a finer line for 4mm scale. Also comes in a variety of colours. The other beauty of it is that is stretches by about 700% so if you catch it, it will not break.

https://www.modelscenerysupplies.co.uk/brands/EZ-Line/EZ-Line-Rope

Cheers, Ade.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold

I forgot to say fitting it is easy, a dab of super glue on the first insulator, wrap it around twice and let it set. You the go along the poles and just wrap it around each insulator without glue and finally glue to again to the last one.

Cheers, Ade.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, richbrummitt said:

Must be extremely cold. The lines are tight and have gone blue! 

I thought that as well. There should definitely be a sag in the line between poles

How many poles/wires would there be at the buffer stop end of a branch? Would they go any further than the station building/signal box?

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ray, I tried to create a sag to the lines, but gave up in the end. I could not get it even, and it just looked messy. I an a bit OCD when it comes to being neat, as my good lady will attest!

Going from photos of the line, the amount of wires varied over the years. It started off the more than I have but by closure ended up with only two, so I have gone for middle ground approach, filling up with what is on the poles.

Cheers, Ade.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

. . . .  I am a bit OCD when it comes to being neat . . . . 

You and my both! That's why I think I struggle with the scenery, there's very few straight lines!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

EZline is intended to be taut, so it would be difficult to get it to sag evenly.  Trouble is, I suspect anything would be a challenge, as physics doesn’t scale*, and what you want is something that hangs in a catenary pretty much irrespective of its own stiffness.

I could imagine using a dummy telegraph pole temporarily installed between the permanent ones, so you could generate a consistent sag, but the “wires” would have to be very dense and very flexible in bending, but have a fixed length.  And be very thin.  Maybe wet hair, but I doubt it’s flexible enough, it can support its own weight, so probably not.  

and if you don’t use something hyper-extensible like EZline, it’ll break, or break your poles, if you snag it.

the other option is don’t put line up at all, just the poles, but personally, I reckon that’s taking illusion too far!

* this is glib, but sufficiently true for this discussion!

treat this as a vote for taut EZline :)

cheers

Simon

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1