Ade's 7mm layout: Malmesbury station

Adrian Stevenson

Hi,

Followed your thread from the start- very good.

A question about the cabin as I am thinking of having one. You went for insulation in the floor and the ceiling but not the walls. How has it been over the past twelve months - with the hot days last summer and then the winter months?

Oh and a supplementary question about the Sentinel - who did you get the sound chip from?

Many thanks

Nigel

• RMweb Gold

Hi Nigel, the temperature range in the cabin has been good. It is not designed to take insulation on the walls the wood being deemed thick enough to provide good insulation in itself.

I have not installed permanently wired in heaters yet and only use them (oil filled heaters) when I am working in there. 
I only bought a temperature gauge a few months ago. So far the lowest reading was minus 2 degrees. So with heaters on just at a low setting should be fine. Highest was about 23 degrees so far.

Last summer which was good of course, did not cause any problems, such as track expansion. The working temp was fine, just opened the windows and doors. I cannot recommend them high enough. Usual disclaimer applies.

The sound chip for the Sentinel came from Richard at Road & Roads. It is a Wheeltappers project. I opted for a 3mm thick speaker which I mounted upside down in the roof and cannot be seen. I also had a stay alive. The little wheelbase engines really benefit from these.

Cheers, Ade.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
On 25/04/2021 at 17:56, Adrian Stevenson said:

B5EFF203-2D67-443B-B2A0-9D3959CF89A5.jpeg

I don't really want to comment until it has been properly signed off by Patch, until then my opinion is irrelevant :P

Although he does look quite pleased with it

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

First day of my long Bank holiday weekend  :sungum:

Making certain you'll be first in the que for the next Glasto then Ade ! :laugh_mini2:

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

On 30/04/2021 at 19:27, Adrian Stevenson said:

First day of my long Bank holiday weekend  :sungum:

Down at one of our favourite places.

Rain this afternoon, so I made a start on one of the cattle trucks.

Cheers, Ade.

281970FD-64EA-474C-BF74-DD82BA44142D.jpeg

98609DC8-6E94-49D4-B497-D805D333AAB6.jpeg

2264D1CF-2FDF-40BF-A23A-26AAE04311BB.jpeg

Nice motor home Ade!

• Thanks 1

Thought I'd drop by Ade.  Love the Sentinel.  I was tempted but can't see it getting a lot of work on my layout although when has that stopped anyone?

Good to see you are doing the Slaters Cattle Van.  I did it some while ago for a friend.  I thought it a nice kit and got some help from the folk here with some of the finer details.  I'm pretty sure I did a thread but, annoyingly, can't find it now.  The brake gear is quite a challenge I recall.

John

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi John, thanks.

I though I had found a useful  online guide to building these wagons from someone in Oz. But he does not mention leaving off a load of bits in his build....Not something I would wish to do.

Cheers, Ade.

It's funny.  After I posted I realized, hey wait!  I do have work for a Sentinel on my Canal Dock layout.  Sadly the BR liveried version is out of stock so I will have to watch for a rerun.

I took a lot of photos of my Cattle Wagon so if you need a hint I might be able to help.

John

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1