Ade's 7mm layout: Malmesbury station

Adrian Stevenson

Ade,

Very nice work. I keep looking at the cattle wagon kits with a view to converting one to a Y10 Fruit Van. Haven't found a suitable one yet.

You are right about the limewash ban. I think it was about 1924 when that came in. At about the same time a minor design change to the GWR cattle wagons removed the floor level slot in the body side just above the brake handle to stop the coddie muck from polluting said handle - to the relief of shunters no doubt. (I've been reading my ABT.:))

Ian.

Edited by Ian Major
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Yes, the lack of forethought in that design “feature” was a bit breathtaking.

I guess the wagons were hosed down after use, then washed with disinfectant.  In the photos I’ve looked at, the underframe “weathering” didn’t particularly catch my eye.  Maybe everything below was that colour in those days...

Mikkel has an interesting blog ongoing regarding horses;

Edited by Simond
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

We are off again in the van for the long bank holiday weekend. This time we are heading off to the North Norfolk Railway and have got our tickets booked for a steam hauled train. Not been to this line before.
Once again I have bought another kit to do in the evenings. This time a Diagram N13 Loco coal wagon. Again this is an item of rolling stock used at Malmesbury.

Cheers, Ade.

E0BE1816-0EFB-4824-B364-06E023F1480C.jpeg

• Like 14

9 hours ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

We are off again in the van for the long bank holiday weekend. This time we are heading off to the North Norfolk Railway and have got our tickets booked for a steam hauled train. Not been to this line before.
Once again I have bought another kit to do in the evenings. This time a Diagram N13 Loco coal wagon. Again this is an item of rolling stock used at Malmesbury.

Cheers, Ade.

E0BE1816-0EFB-4824-B364-06E023F1480C.jpeg

That looks like an easy one for you now Ade. Enjoy it mate.:good:

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

19 hours ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

Have a good trip. We will be there on Tuesday.

• Like 1

Ade, Enjoy your trip to North Norfolk.

The railway there is an interesting visit. Hopefully whilst there you will see trains run off the North Norfolk line on to the Railtrack (or whatever it is called now) line towards Cromer. It is an interesting, labour intensive, spectacle to behold, involving clearing the route through a small public park and parked cars. Have a look at this GOOGLE Street View ( https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.941498,1.2098521,3a,75y,95.45h,67.37t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sA49lkT9zzgxYbyolrSJP2w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656 ) for a flavour. Spin the image through 180 degrees for the little park and signal box beyond. It was great fun.

On my trip there, I decided to forgo the pleasures of steam and ride their DMU to get much better views of the glorious scenery. :)

Ian.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

The site we are staying at is really nice. Spent the day in Sheringham yesterday. Very warm and got a red face.

I had forgot that there is a model railway shop in the town, Smith’s. Nice shop with a small selection of O Gauge in stock. I came out with a selection of trees, all by Woodland scenics. 

We got back around 5 pm so we sat in the sun and I built up the loco coal wagon. Just needs a brass rod fitting when I get home to complete the brake gear assembly. The build was straightforwards enough but the bufferbeams needed some fettleing to allow the sole bars to fit. 

Off to the railway today.

Cheers, Ade.

60A08EE1-CB66-428B-BDBE-34E552FA5F6A.jpeg

C00DF0D0-7FA3-4783-887F-AFCCD3B5508D.jpeg

EDC60B39-0B95-41C8-B9FE-E4E3D17ECDC8.jpeg

CE837779-00AD-4AC3-8F0A-CC594BDC9502.jpeg

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

the bufferbeams needed some fettleing to allow the sole bars to fit. 

EDC60B39-0B95-41C8-B9FE-E4E3D17ECDC8.jpeg

These had plastic buffers originally so you have to rout out the back of the sole bars so the sprung ones work. Your right hand ends ones look stuck in the compressed position?

Nice haul of Trees Ade and a lovely spot to camp.

I found a small second hand model shop in the main Street when I was there many years ago, I pick up a few OO bits at the time.

• Like 1