Ade's 7mm layout: Malmesbury station

Adrian Stevenson

• RMweb Gold

Framework for baseboard No1 is now completed. Basically it is braced down the middle and then across forming eight boxes on the underside of the board, so it should be nice and strong.

Picked up a Skytrex GWR tin hut as this is suitable for use at the end of the station platform. This is an "old school" resin and white metal kit which required a lot of filing to get it to go together correctly.

Hopefully I should get the framework for baseboards 2 & 3 put together tomorrow.

Cheers, Ade.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Been a few weeks since I made an update as we spent two weeks in Egypt over Christmas and New Year.

Here is my handy work on the baseboards. My wife did not know I could do carpentry, but now the cat is out of the bag! Need to sort out some joiners next and then the track laying can commence.

I have also joined Gresley and Wychnor Model Railway Group this week.

Cheers, Ade.

post-35634-0-58263100-1547409053_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Been a few weeks since I made an update as we spent two weeks in Egypt over Christmas and New Year.

Here is my handy work on the baseboards. My wife did not know I could do carpentry, but now the cat is out of the bag! Need to sort out some joiners next and then the track laying can commence.

I have also joined Gresley and Wychnor Model Railway Group this week.

Cheers, Ade.

I am most envious,

all the best

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Well my attempts at a bit of track laying have got interrupted by a 12 inch to 1 foot scale cat....

He always has to get in on the act.   :sungum: His name is Patch and he only has one eye. He is real character as you might guess!

Cheers, Ade. 

post-35634-0-85903500-1547416514_thumb.jpg

post-35634-0-95261800-1547416552_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The track on baseboard no1 is now laid down on the cork underlay (the cat let me finish :)) and the droppers installed. The Peco points have been modified with wiring for DCC and the wheel drop inserts fitted.

Yesterday four of us from our club, Andy P, John and Peter had a run out to Stafford show. A nice day out. Picked up two Skytrex GWR Rail built Cattle Docks. A bit fiddly, but started build these up last night.

On the rolling stock front, I have now purchased a Dapol (ex Lionheart) 64xx pannier tank from Rails as these were on offer and last week picked up my 43xx Mogul from Tower Models at the Bristol show. Fitted real coal to both of these.

The layout to now going to be housed (at my wife's suggestion!) in a new purpose built shed in the garden.  

Cheers, Ade.

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

The track on baseboard no1 is now laid down on the cork underlay (the cat let me finish :)) and the droppers installed. The Peco points have been modified with wiring for DCC and the wheel drop inserts fitted.

Yesterday four of us from our club, Andy P, John and Peter had a run out to Stafford show. A nice day out. Picked up two Skytrex GWR Rail built Cattle Docks. A bit fiddly, but started build these up last night.

On the rolling stock front, I have now purchased a Dapol (ex Lionheart) 64xx pannier tank from Rails as these were on offer and last week picked up my 43xx Mogul from Tower Models at the Bristol show. Fitted real coal to both of these.

The layout to now going to be housed (at my wife's suggestion!) in a new purpose built shed in the garden.  

Cheers, Ade.

The Shed sounds like a plan mate, and as for yesterday, it was a cracking day, but I was far to knackered last night to do anything other than check the inside of my eye lids in the chair, haha.:)

EDIT = BTW the boards and Track are looking good. I do like Patch.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

A little update.

Photos to come: weathered my first loco, the Dapol/ex-Lionheart 64xx pannier, last night. I used weathering powders and a brush. I have gone for a fairly subtle look, with just a bit of general soot, grime and dust all over just to take the shine off the loco. I will need daylight to take the pics. Flash photo does not really show it.

Cheers, Ade.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Just got home from a weekend away in Malmesbury so I could see the site of the former station in person. Took some detailed pics of the old engine shed stonework etc. I especially wanted to see how high the embankment was which runs behind the engine shed. My Volvo stands roughly where the Pannier tank once ran.

20190209_150549.jpg

20190210_123004.jpg

1621 (2).jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Likewise Tony! :D

The engine shed now being a Kwikfit is almost a metaphor for the triumph of the internal combustion engine.... 

The old tunnel was not accessible due to the landscaped gardens in which it now sits being closed. So a pic from over the river had to suffice.

20190209_160922.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Malmesbury is a really nice place to visit.  The museum staff told me that there is going to be a reprint of Mike Fenton's book with new info in it. So that is something to look forwards too.

Shown here is the commemorative Silver Shovel and wheelbarrow from the first proposed railway which of course never happened.

Cheers, Ade.

20190210_114907.jpg

20190210_114924.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
On 09/02/2019 at 11:29, georgeT said:

Hello Ade, Subtle is the word, l think in those days the crew had a pride in their work and kept the locos at their best...

1930s man may have taken pride in his work, but his arms were shorter! I bit of grime on that dome wouldn’t go amiss. Lovely stuff tho!

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1