Lumden? West Yorkshire in the early 1960s

Daveloco1

Hi Dave,

One method is to solder a dropper to each blade, which drop down through small holes drilled in the baseboard. These droppers are soldered to a copper clad strip underneath which is activated by your chosen method of operation. The tie bars can be used for aesthetic purposes.

Cheers... Alan

Hi Alan

Thanks for that, I had a quick look on C & L web pages early and spotted that one also the alternative of turning the copper clad through 90 degrees and soldering brass tubes to the strip under the baseboard that would be fun!

Thanks all the same.

Hi Dave,

Layout plan looks good and I shallenjoy following along.  I've built O gauge points previously (currently building them at the moment, well trying to) using C&L components but I was advised by several on here to go for the tiebars from Peter Waterman's JLTRT.  While JLTRT has ceased, the bars are still available from MM1 models.  Easy to put together with a little bit of Araldite to so no shorts, and a simple solder onto the blades.  Something to think about perhaps?  Id certainly recommend them.

Good luck with what your progressing.

Rich

Hi Rich

Thanks for the pointer. I had read somewhere about JLTRT producing tie bars but was not sure how things stood there.

Anyway ordered a set from MM1 Models and will give them a try.

Thanks again for comments, hopefully progress will increase, just need to retire from work NOW!

Regards

Dave

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi all

Got a bit further, two boards now bus wired and connections between.

Watched a couple of really good, clear 'how to do' it videos on 47606odin's thread about wiring track, Cobalt IP point motors, programming Cobalt IP's and creating a track plan on ECoS 50200.

This inspired me to create my layout plan on the ECoS, dead easy when you know how! Points and un-couplers in place on screen plan. Signals may follow! BUT must get the track built first.

I'll post a photo of ECoS screen later. I am slowly working through my wagon fleet weathering, fitting 'Dingham' couplings (with 3 link chains to the hook end only), applying transfers and cleaning wheels while I wait for my track parts to arrive.

A couple of questions 1 I presume I can get decodes to operate the electromagnets under the uncouplers operated from the ECoS track plan, any ideas what to use and how to wire them?

2 is there a easy guide on the rmweb somewhere on how to apply 'presfix' transfers? I've done loads of water slide but never these type.

Thanks

Dave

Edited by Daveloco1
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Daveloco1 said:

A couple of questions 1 I presume I can get decodes to operate the electromagnets under the uncouplers operated from the ECoS track plan, any ideas what to use and how to wire them?

Dave

Not had to do that yet, but I would imagine a simple one function decoder would work, you only need it on or off, and as long as you could make it so that the function key it responded to was like a whistle function key, only activated while the key is held down, then your not going to risk burning the magnet out.  Somebody will probably be along with a far better idea, but I cannot image its too big of a task.

Rich

Dave,

You might have a look at this from Digikeijs:

https://www.digikeijs.com/en/dr4018-16-channel-switch-decoder.html

This 34 Euro digital unit will switch just about anything on your layout.  Up to 16 outlets which are each  programmable and can be set up to do different things, so any combination of them can be set up eg as timed pulses, operate turnouts, semafore or light signals, lights, level crossing gates and lights- almost anything you can think of.  I'm quite certain they work with all DCC systems so will work with your ECoS.  

I have one and can bring it to our next meeting if you would like a look at it.

Cheers ... Alan

• RMweb Premium
On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 22:40, Daveloco1 said:

Hi Tim

Thanks for the suggestion.

When I built the test layout trailing my ECoS unit together with wiring points and digham electro-magnets, I rather rashly purchased a kit of the Peco SmartSwitch 4 servo motor control, then discovered you need PLS-135 Stationary Decoder (4 turnouts per decoder) plus if you wanted to feed the frog independently you need one smartFrog per point (I had read somewhere that this unit has been withdrawn after some problems) so I went off that idea. Currently having followed A Peters (Seven Mills and Dore End) thread for a while now where he is considering using DCC Concepts Cobalt digital motors, three wires connected and away you go, apparently, more research required yet, I'm not really at decision stage just yet.

I've three baseboards completed, constructed from 125mm deep 9mm ply blocked and braced as shown on photos, no twist. The board shown has a softwood formed 'box' at either end to located the adjustable metal trestles with a softwood shelf for the adjoining board to rest on.

Subsequent boards have such a locating 'box' only at one end, the other resting on the 'shelf'. The boards will be located by dowels and bolted together. Belt and braces or what!

Photographs may make the construction clearer.

Cheers

Dave

post-30875-0-13915000-1544650753_thumb.jpg

post-30875-0-53419200-1544650784_thumb.jpg

post-30875-0-84250100-1544650808_thumb.jpg

Just had this thread brought to my attention and like it very much, especially the ex water board railway, I had one of those on my Long Preston Layout.  As to point motors I have had very good service with them.   Cobalts are also very good.   All of them have one or two internal microswitches.  I use them to switch the frogs of most points and then have section breaks, if needed beyond them.  This keeps it simple and only needs 2 wires to each motor for the analogue version. Tis works well with DCC as well as analogue.  

On ‎09‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 13:13, Daveloco1 said:

Hi

Been awhile since last posted, not much happened really.

Installed the bus wires for one of the boards through those nice big holes!

Also been building a C & L point turnout kit. This is again a trail run has all my turnouts on the layout are on a curve these will have to be constructed as I go to form nice sweeping curves and avoid the 'wheel drop'.

Attached are photos of work so far just needs part chairs and check rails installing and the stretcher bars.

What or how have you tackled this the bars supplied by C & L in the kit don't appear up to the job of switching the blades.

I have thought of using a piece of copper clad, soldered to the blades and cut in the middle to achieve electric isolation.

Any thoughts welcomed.

Dave

post-30875-0-88809500-1547036000_thumb.jpg

post-30875-0-94147000-1547036014_thumb.jpg

I now use the copperlad method for all my fiddle yard points.  I did use the sideways mount and copper tube method on Long Preston and found that bits of ballast got into the holes very easily.  For the visible part I use a design that Derek Mundy came up with using brass wire and short lengths of double sided copperclad under each rail.   This works well and is realtively unobtrusive.  If you want any more information I would happily post details.  Like the vertical tube method it allows some articulation at the point blade.

I very much look forward to seeing progress on this thread.  

Jamie

• Like 1

Hi Jamie

Thanks for reply and interest.

Water board line will be narrow gauge to pick up my interest in Lynton & Barnstaple Railway and the nice coaches produced by Slaters.

I am inclined to go for the Cobalt IP motors switching a copper clad strip fixed to the point blades by droppers. C & L are advertising a clear plastic base that appears to fit under the point blade and carry the moving copper clad strip, it's that or I have got it completely wrong and it is just a jig for setting up the droppers, time will tell.

But knowing me I got it all wrong and it's neither.

Dave

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, Daveloco1 said:

Hi Jamie

Thanks for reply and interest.

Water board line will be narrow gauge to pick up my interest in Lynton & Barnstaple Railway and the nice coaches produced by Slaters.

I am inclined to go for the Cobalt IP motors switching a copper clad strip fixed to the point blades by droppers. C & L are advertising a clear plastic base that appears to fit under the point blade and carry the moving copper clad strip, it's that or I have got it completely wrong and it is just a jig for setting up the droppers, time will tell.

But knowing me I got it all wrong and it's neither.

Dave

I've never heard of the strip across the point blades being used for switching but have not looked at the C & L site recently.  The movement is only a couple of mm and I would have thought that that would make it difficult for switching purposes except to operate a microswitch mechanically.   There is a very good microswitch on the Cobalt that I used for switching frogs on a layout that I wired for DCC for a friend.  It just needs three dropper wired from the stock rails and frog to the point motor, then insulated joints beyond the frog before the rails pick up the bus wire again.   Good luck with it.

Jamie

Hi Jamie

I think my explain went a bit astray, confusing terms. The Cobalt motor will move the point blades whilst it's internal electronics magic changes the frog feed polarity. Three wires two from bus, one to frog from Cobalt IP, all I have to do, I hope.

Anyway attached are a few photos, showing ECoS 50200 in 'driving' mode with a couple of locos, note the green indication in the middle of the dial as this loco is in consist with another(which at the moment is in the workshops for a 'dose of weathering etc.

The second ECoS photo shows the simplified track plan, in reality the central track is laid to a radius of 4.5m and everything else is worked from there. Point radius is around 1800mm.

The other photos show the two completed locos, wagons I am happy with, some I bought weathered, some I've added more weathering. All have had 'Dinghams' fitted with a three link coupling chain added to the 'hook' end and had their weight lifted to about 105 gramms. The coke wagon is a Skytrex model with the brake gear removed, sliced in half to reduce it thickness them put back on. I think pretty effective for not a lot of work. The hardest bit is getting the brake rigging assembly off in one piece. 

Jessica is in workshop for further weathering, 'Dingham' fitting and crew. Ladysmith is in workshop for 'Dingham' fitting

I must get this track work started!!

Thanks for following

Dave

Edited by Daveloco1
Wrong loco name
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

That weathering looks stunning Dave, Thanks for the explanation it seems fine to me.  I now understand where the 3 wires come from.   I wonder if you have read Harold Bowtell's book on the reservoir railways of West Yorkshire that covers the area your protoype is based in.  There was a very large system above Hebden Bridge that had a fabulous viaduct on it.  It has photos of the type of stock used.  If you can't find a copy send me a PM. We used one of his other books as the source material for Long Preston.

Jamie

4 hours ago, Daveloco1 said:

Photos

Coke_and_5_plank_wagons.JPG

Hudswell_Clarke_Jessica_and_Ladysmith_in_the_workshop..JPG

4 hours ago, Daveloco1 said:

Fowler_Elijah_and_16_tonner.JPG

Hudswell_Clarke_Isobel_1.JPG

Love the weathering and presentation of those locos. In particular, the Hudswell Clarke engines look absolutely stunning. Cracking stuff! :good_mini:

PS - what's the little blue diesel? 

Edited by south_tyne
Additional question!

HI Jamie

Glad I cleared that one up. Thanks for your kind comments. The wagons were weathered when I bought them, although I have added some more detailing.

The Hudswell Clarke locos were from the two Chris's stable, which received smoke units and lights then I weathered them, 'Jessica' is not quite finished yet needs further detailing, and a crew.

The Fowler is also from the Chris's via EDM who squeezed a sound chip in some how, it sounds great especially the 'donkey' engine start before the main engine fires up.

I've not read that particular book but will look out for it.

south tyne again thanks for kind comments. The little blue loco, Ladysmith, it came with that name when I bought it, is I believe a Sentinel 4WVBTG steam loco, 4W = four wheels, VB = vertical boiler TG = ?

It was also painted these colours, I'm undecided yet, to weather it or not. This loco has also has lights and a smoke unit fitted which is emitted through the round grille on the cab roof immediately above the boiler.

Dave

• Thanks 1

HI Jamie

I've got a couple of Harold Bowtell's books Rails through Lakeland Parts 1 & 2 but not one about reservoir railways.

Which of these two were you referring to in your post, Lesser Railways of Yorkshire Dales or Reservoir Railways of Yorkshire Pennines?

Thanks

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Daveloco1 said:

HI Jamie

I've got a couple of Harold Bowtell's books Rails through Lakeland Parts 1 & 2 but not one about reservoir railways.

Which of these two were you referring to in your post, Lesser Railways of Yorkshire Dales or Reservoir Railways of Yorkshire Pennines?

Thanks

Dave

Reservoir railways of the Yorkshire Pennines is the one you want.  It's long out of print but well worth reading.  If you have any trouble getting hold of a copy PM me. The Yorkshire Dales one was part of the inspiration for Long Preston and bits of the narrow gauge are on the part of the layout that's on display in Long Preston Village hall along with one of ray Clasper's scratch built locos and some stock built by my late friend Tony Bond. I used the narrow gauge, which is based on the line that served Stocks Reservoir and then used modellers licence to imagine that it had actually started at Long Preston and that tey had included a siding into the village gasworks.

P5123375.JPG.e514dba758e054bebd9c5dc6cf9ba771.JPG

Jamie

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

Reservoir railways of the Yorkshire Pennines is the one you want.  It's long out of print but well worth reading.  If you have any trouble getting hold of a copy PM me. The Yorkshire Dales one was part of the inspiration for Long Preston and bits of the narrow gauge are on the part of the layout that's on display in Long Preston Village hall along with one of ray Clasper's scratch built locos and some stock built by my late friend Tony Bond. I used the narrow gauge, which is based on the line that served Stocks Reservoir and then used modellers licence to imagine that it had actually started at Long Preston and that tey had included a siding into the village gasworks.

Jamie

The O gauge Long Preston layout (illustrated in Jamie's post) is also the subject of a DVD available from the Gauge O Guild video library.  Quite fascinating to watch!

Rich

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Daveloco1 said:

HI Jamie

Glad I cleared that one up. Thanks for your kind comments. The wagons were weathered when I bought them, although I have added some more detailing.

The Hudswell Clarke locos were from the two Chris's stable, which received smoke units and lights then I weathered them, 'Jessica' is not quite finished yet needs further detailing, and a crew.

The Fowler is also from the Chris's via EDM who squeezed a sound chip in some how, it sounds great especially the 'donkey' engine start before the main engine fires up.

I've not read that particular book but will look out for it.

south tyne again thanks for kind comments. The little blue loco, Ladysmith, it came with that name when I bought it, is I believe a Sentinel 4WVBTG steam loco, 4W = four wheels, VB = vertical boiler TG = ?

It was also painted these colours, I'm undecided yet, to weather it or not. This loco has also has lights and a smoke unit fitted which is emitted through the round grille on the cab roof immediately above the boiler.

Dave

I'm really impressed by the weathering - those Hudswell Clarke locos are fantastic. I am still plucking up the courage to weather mine but seeing your superb examples has given me some ideas. 

Thanks for the information about the diesel. I thought it looked like a Sentinel. I'm sure it'll be great for shuffling a few wagons around. 

Are the industrial locos for shunting the private sidings and is the idea that they interchange goods with the mainline?

Cheers,

David

Hi David

The locomotives were painted with a thinned down mix of bauxite/matt black and then the areas I did not want were polished with T-cut leaving dirty area in the angles and under handrails etc. The T-cut also gives a 'used' shine to the clean paintwork. Copied idea from Chris (81A) and others BUT he polishes first!

Yes the small industrial will work the small private yard and interchange with the mainline, although my 'Victory' Class 0-6-0 again from the two Chris's is getting on the large side but the sound/slow running/working braking on F2 is superb

That what I like about this forum somebody always has a great idea(s) how do do something.

Cheers guys!

Dave

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Daveloco1 said:

Hi David

The locomotives were painted with a thinned down mix of bauxite/matt black and then the areas I did not want were polished with T-cut leaving dirty area in the angles and under handrails etc. The T-cut also gives a 'used' shine to the clean paintwork. Copied idea from Chris (81A) and others BUT he polishes first!

Yes the small industrial will work the small private yard and interchange with the mainline, although my 'Victory' Class 0-6-0 again from the two Chris's is getting on the large side but the sound/slow running/working braking on F2 is superb

That what I like about this forum somebody always has a great idea(s) how do do something.

Cheers guys!

Dave

Hi Dave.

Thanks very much for that. I need to drum up the confidence to have a go of weathering my HC. I'll get hold of some t-cut and do some practice before trying on the loco. 

That interchange should provide some interesting operation. Is the private yard for a specific industry or traffic flow or is just general goods? The Victory is a beast isn't it! Being limited for space, and having to use small locks, I haven't been tempted by one but am weakening towards one of Chris' Pecketts! 

Thanks again,

David

Hi David

The interchange has no specific industry yet! although I suppose given where it is supposed to be located it should be something to do with textiles or maybe light engineering.

There is also a small yard on the opposite side of the main line for general goods with a interchange with the narrow gauge line, which may have transported wagons (aka Leek & Manifold) now that would be interesting problem to solve. Running a standard wagon onto a transporter wagon and making it stay there while in motion, sky hooks/magnets? The sidings run into or behind many of the proposed buildings so plenty of places to 'hid' wagons.

The Victory Class is a beast of a model, mine has acquired lights and smoke. It maybe next into the workshop for detailing, the sound file is superb.

As I said in a early posting both the HCs are smoke fitted but to get the smoke unit in the chimney in it is not the original, cannot be that obvious as no one's commented YET! 

I also have one of Chris's Pecketts again sound, lights and smoke fitted been slightly modified with revised/additional handrails. I'll post a photo later if you are interested.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Daveloco1 said:

Hi David

The interchange has no specific industry yet! although I suppose given where it is supposed to be located it should be something to do with textiles or maybe light engineering.

There is also a small yard on the opposite side of the main line for general goods with a interchange with the narrow gauge line, which may have transported wagons (aka Leek & Manifold) now that would be interesting problem to solve. Running a standard wagon onto a transporter wagon and making it stay there while in motion, sky hooks/magnets? The sidings run into or behind many of the proposed buildings so plenty of places to 'hid' wagons.

The Victory Class is a beast of a model, mine has acquired lights and smoke. It maybe next into the workshop for detailing, the sound file is superb.

As I said in a early posting both the HCs are smoke fitted but to get the smoke unit in the chimney in it is not the original, cannot be that obvious as no one's commented YET! 

I also have one of Chris's Pecketts again sound, lights and smoke fitted been slightly modified with revised/additional handrails. I'll post a photo later if you are interested.

Cheers

Dave

Cheers Dave. 

That's very interesting. I think the opportunity to 'hide' the wagons and enter buildings will really add to the operation, it's obviously well thought out. A general engineering operation will give an excuse to run a wide variety of wagons, including all kinds of opens and vans. Obviously coal and any other raw materials coming in and the finished products (whatever they may be!!) coming out. 

I would love to see a photo of the Peckett if you get a chance. No rush though :)

Thanks again and sorry for asking so many questions! 

David