New Dapol SENTINEL 4WVB 2 "ISEBROOK"

Adrian Stevenson

• RMweb Gold

Hi All, I have been looking at the yet to be released Dapol Sentinel. This would be an ideal model for me as the prototype was used on the Malmesbury branch line for a short period of time. 

An actual photo of Dapol's finished product of this version is yet to be released. But after doing a bit of research about this engine I am a bit worried? It appears that the name "Isebrook" was not applied until 1934, long after it left service with the GWR. The actual engine has survived into preservation and can be seen here:

https://www.brc-stockbook.co.uk/6515.htm

So I am hoping the finished 7mm model which is being marketed as "GWR" will not bear this name. Does anyone know of a photo of it during it's time with the Great Western?

Cheers, Ade.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Great!

Thanks. I reckon you are more than likely right given the loco in the background.

I hope that they market it correctly. Their OO gauge version sports the art deco GWR shirtbutton insignia, which did not come in to use until 1934.

Cheers, Ade.

• RMweb Premium

I had thought the loco which was renamed 'Isebrook' after its period of GWR service was the only example, but the Sentinel Works lists show two locos, works no's 6514-5 [the survivor] which became GWR 13 and 12 respectively in 1926. Was 6514 actually delivered? 6515 had two trial periods, totalling less than a year on the GWR and the photo in #2 shows no GWR insignia.

Dava

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 months later...

Two of this type ended up in Australia. One went to South Australia in 1926 and another to Victoria in 1928 but neither have survived. A dummy replica was built of the Victorian one and is part of a historic railway display. I believe both were 5'3" Broad Gauge. Now, if I assume history were a little different, I might do up one and give it a fictional history that it was converted to standard gauge and used at a fictional location... I would have to get to work with brass strip making those cow-catchers though.

koondrook-tramway-loco.jpg

Picture from this web-page: https://modeltrainsnthings.com/historical-info/steam-locomotive-builders/sentinel-steam-locomotives/

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/03/2019 at 11:09, Adrian Stevenson said:

I thought I would update this thread with some pics taken at Kettering last week showing the pre production samples on Dapol's stand.

Cheers, Ade.

20190302_095517.jpg

20190302_095527.jpg

I like the look of the ncb one is there a release date yet on these.

18 hours ago, D602bulldog said:

I like the look of the ncb one is there a release date yet on these.

June/July was mentioned by Tower Models a little while ago but, as I understand, both Dapol themselves and Tower were more non-commital at the recent Kettering GOG show. So, to use government language, maybe a vague 'summer' timeframe!*

As far as I understand, that NCB livery is entirely fictitious but it still certainly looks the part.

* Anyone who deals with the Civil Service or central government departments will be aware that seasons in relation to timetables are often very fluid and subject to 'slippage' :laugh_mini:

Edited by south_tyne
Spelling
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

If Dapol are clever they will record the sound effects for the DCC sound file from this loco, or maybe they already have?

• RMweb Premium

So more news about the Dapol Sentinel 0-4-0 from Guildex. It has been delayed but firmly expected to go into production next month and reach the UK in November so plenty of time for Xmas [import issues which may arise before then permitting

The real 'Isebrook' has been recorded for the DCC sound file so it will be authentic. No point retrofitting sound from anyone else.

BR(E) Departmental 39 has been added to the first production run, good news though be aware that this loco [ex Lowestoft] spent 10 years only at Chesterton Jct rail depot, Cambridge in this guise.

By contrast, LNER 42 and BR 68164 were very well travelled across Wales, England & Scotland. I don't know where the LMS 760 worked, possibly Ayr?

Dava

• Thanks 1