Ladmanlow Sidings and other C&HPR locations

Alister_G

• RMweb Gold

Don't forget the solebars.

My free one of these with RM was consigned to bin as unbuildable, presumably the original one is a different proposition as you prove!

Mike.

Thanks Mike,

No, what you see is what you get with this kit, no floor, and no solebars. I would be surprised if real grounded vans were deconstructed to such an extent!

Not sure whether to model it with wooden or steel solebars, probably just wood.

Al.

• RMweb Gold

Just found this, having followed some of your previous threads. This looks really good, keep it coming.

How is the Land Rover?

Martyn

Hi Martyn, thanks for looking in, nice to hear from you.

My Landy is doing fine, looking forward to some snow, now :)

Cheers mate,

Al.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Grounded van, now with added soul solebars, and some sleepers, and a bit of weathering powder action:

post-17302-0-28556500-1545169220_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-95897300-1545169220_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-16150900-1545169222_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-85446600-1545169222_thumb.jpg

In other news, I've had a delivery:

post-17302-0-13521600-1545169314_thumb.jpg

I foresee a lot of drystone walling in my future.

Thanks for looking,

Al.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

I've a couple of things to show you this evening.

First, I think I've settled on what I'm doing for the ground cover.

I'm going to use 3mm cork between each run of track, cut to go between the sleepers. For the gaps between the sleepers inbetween the rails, further small offcuts of cork will be inserted.

post-17302-0-49073600-1545257852_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-17804800-1545257853_thumb.jpg

This isn't stuck down yet, so it will look better than it does now.

The cork will then be surfaced with stone dust, and ashes.

The second thing tonight is all about the walling.

Here's a closeup of one of the Javis walls:

post-17302-0-65352100-1545257853_thumb.jpg

Showing how it is made up of sections of 4 - 5mm thick "stone" in courses.

The problem with the Javis walls is that they are only short sections - about 6 inches, and each section is self contained, and doesn't readily join up to make a seamless wall.

I showed you yesterday a large quantity of Plastruct strip which I'd bought which is 4.8mm x 4mm and 6mm x 4mm.

With this, I aim to make much longer straight stretches of wall, and also some curved sections.

As a base, I have cut some strips of 20thou styrene sheet, which you can see will make much longer sections:

post-17302-0-13822100-1545257854_thumb.jpg

Here's an out-of-focus shot of my fingers holding a section of Plastruct:

post-17302-0-63229400-1545257854_thumb.jpg

If you compare it to the Javis wall, you can see it's a fair match for the size of a single course of "stone".

post-17302-0-13763900-1545257855_thumb.jpg

So what I've started, is to cut off irregular sized sections of strip, and give them some attention from a coarse file to round off edges and sides:

post-17302-0-67972600-1545257855_thumb.jpg

And here's the start of a section of wall - not yet glued, but just trying out the concept.

post-17302-0-37923800-1545257856_thumb.jpg

Once a length is built, I will paint and weather suitaby to look like limestone.

This makes me think of Jeff (Physicsman) and his miles of walling on the fell, but thankfully I've only got small sections to make, in comparison, and it will keep me quiet over Christmas. :)

Thanks for looking,

Al.

Edited by Alister_G
  • Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Trouble is Alistair, these walls are more like the ones on the S&C where the bedding plane of the stone is nice and parallel (cleavage, Oh Matron!) Derbyshire's reef limestone does not have such a plane and the each stone is more angular so making regular courses unlikely. I've heard of people making such walls from new! cat litter.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=imgres&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjKvuTxh67fAhVEXRUIHTIQBoMQjRx6BAgBEAU&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.geograph.org.uk%2Fphoto%2F2966211&psig=AOvVaw1u2Kf54s3Nfxr5T1bNfyZa&ust=1545383390567910

Edited by Rowsley17D

• RMweb Gold

Trouble is Alistair, these walls are more like the ones on the S&C where the bedding plane of the stone is nice and parallel (cleavage, Oh Matron!) Derbyshire's reef limestone does not have such a plane and the each stone is more angular so making regular courses unlikely. I've heard of people making such walls from new! cat litter.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=imgres&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjKvuTxh67fAhVEXRUIHTIQBoMQjRx6BAgBEAU&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.geograph.org.uk%2Fphoto%2F2966211&psig=AOvVaw1u2Kf54s3Nfxr5T1bNfyZa&ust=1545383390567910

Javis do a random dry stone wall, I've used it to good effect on Greyscroft Mine, it needed repainting and a bit of filler but overall very good and very close (or close enough) to that in Jonathan's link.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/17155-greyscroft-mine-cleveland-ironstone-in-1955-em-gauge/?p=2334799

https://www.themodelcentre.com/JDSWOO-1/

• RMweb Gold

Javis do a random dry stone wall, I've used it to good effect on Greyscroft Mine, it needed repainting and a bit of filler but overall very good and very close (or close enough) to that in Jonathan's link.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/17155-greyscroft-mine-cleveland-ironstone-in-1955-em-gauge/?p=2334799

https://www.themodelcentre.com/JDSWOO-1/

Thanks gents.

Jonathan, yes you are right, (well you knew that :) ) the Javis walling is not the same as Derbyshire limestone walling, but it does bear some resemblance to the more regular granite walls used in certain areas of the C&HPR.

However, my aim is to produce limestone walling, so I will be making my lumps of Plastruct large and irregular. I have in the past used Cat litter (unused...) which is sort of OK, but has a tendency to look like clumps of cat litter:

post-17302-0-39551600-1545300182_thumb.jpg

Paul, thank you for pointing that out, not seen that particular one before, unlike the lumps of Javis I have, it looks like those join up fairly well to make a longer run.

I think I will persist in making my own, now, especially since after I posted last night I started to chop up all the Plastruct, so I've got to do something with it...

Thanks very much, both of you,

Al.

• Like 7

Yo Ali G!

Well wicked dat you is modellin' de C&HPR ...  :snooks:

I think that's enough of that sort of talk. Great to see you with your mojo back and embarking on a new project. Struck a chord with me straight away as I used to think nothing of pedalling me push bike over the Cat n Fiddle road from Macc. to Buxton and back ... about 35 years ago! Always used to gaze on that surviving stretch of C&HPR trackbed as I free-wheeled down into Buxton.

Looking good already and I'll keep popping in for a look. Re the drystone walls, if it's not too late then take a look at my Shap thread for a completely different - and just as time-consuming(!) - way of doing dry stone walls.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Heyup Red Leader!

Thanks for popping by, another person who finds that bit of the C&HPR fascinating.

Congratulations on Shap BTW, a well kept secret which looks amazing.

I'll go and inspect your walls now...

Cheers,

Al.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I have not done the maths on how many cuts you will have to make to create a 30 cm (12 inch if you prefer) section of wall but I have to admire your dedication.

Best of luck and merry X-mas!

I decided to do a bit of stock weathering.

Here's a Bachmann Brake van, brand new out of the box:

attachicon.gifladmanlow26.jpg

And here it is after some attention from some weathering powders:

attachicon.gifladmanlow27.jpg

Then my DJM J74 which was factory weathered, but I added some extra smoke and rust:

attachicon.gifladmanlow28.jpg

attachicon.gifladmanlow29.jpg

I stuck the row of Terrace cottages from my Grindleford layout on the board, just to see how it would look:

attachicon.gifladmanlow33.jpg

attachicon.gifladmanlow34.jpg

I don't think they will be staying, but interesting to see how it looks.

And here's a more general shot with some of the new stock:

attachicon.gifladmanlow35.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Al.

Pardon me for asking Al but how long have you had that "brand new" Bachmann brake van? It looks like an ancient Mainline one to me with the stretched cabin. Pity that nobody does a Crystal Palace van.

• RMweb Gold

I have not done the maths on how many cuts you will have to make to create a 30 cm (12 inch if you prefer) section of wall but I have to admire your dedication.

Best of luck and merry X-mas!

Yeah, thanks, I'm glad you haven't come up with a figure! :O :o

Cheers mate, have a great Christmas.

Al.

• RMweb Gold

Pardon me for asking Al but how long have you had that "brand new" Bachmann brake van? It looks like an ancient Mainline one to me with the stretched cabin. Pity that nobody does a Crystal Palace van.

Interesting question :)

It's new to me, bought from Hattons a fortnight ago, but I believe it's the old Bachmann Branchlines model, which I think used the Mainline mouldings, didn't it?

It did arrive in a Bachmann box though...

Cheers,

Al.

• RMweb Gold

Lovely to see the progress Al.

Best of luck with the wallage.

Will you be doing the Midland Small Layout showcase at Staffs in June?

Rob.

Interesting question :)

It's new to me, bought from Hattons a fortnight ago, but I believe it's the old Bachmann Branchlines model, which I think used the Mainline mouldings, didn't it?

It did arrive in a Bachmann box though...

Cheers,

Al.

Quite correct Al, Bachmann took over the Mainline range and produced models with the Bachmann brand. Some, like the GBV, have been updated over the years but for some reason best known the themselves they are still using the moulds of the awful caricatures of the LMS 12T van and the shrunken cattle truck.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

In which case, Al, I shall see you there as I will have Mutton with me this year. .

Rob

• RMweb Gold

Mint sauce or redcurrant jelly?

Gordon A

Oi!

post-14122-0-48686600-1545415232.jpeg

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Wasn't there an Arabian torture, called "the death of a thousand cuts"?

Well I haven't quite got there yet, but here's the progress so far on building a drystone wall out of plasticard:

post-17302-0-72449400-1545420468_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-33174100-1545420469_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-82960800-1545420469_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-50080500-1545420470_thumb.jpg

I apologise for the quality of the photos, the camera doesn't like focussing on all that whiteness.

So that's the first 6 inches or so, and without the capping stones, which are yet to be added.

I'm pleased with how it looks so far.

More soon,

Al.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

It was inevitable, really, given the amount of scalpel work I've been doing, that this was going to happen eventually:

post-17302-0-18239500-1545431323_thumb.jpg

I executed a nice clean cut of about an inch in length down the side of my finger!

However, before pain stopped play, I managed to achieve this:

post-17302-0-04179700-1545431324_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-72384600-1545431324_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-27499400-1545431325_thumb.jpg

Which I'm happy with.

The coping stones will be filed to a more realistic look once they've had time to set properly.

That's all for now, thanks for looking.

Al.

• Friendly/supportive 3

It was inevitable, really, given the amount of scalpel work I've been doing, that this was going to happen eventually:

attachicon.gifladmanlow121.jpg

I executed a nice clean cut of about an inch in length down the side of my finger!

However, before pain stopped play, I managed to achieve this:

attachicon.gifladmanlow122.jpg

attachicon.gifladmanlow123.jpg

attachicon.gifladmanlow124.jpg

Which I'm happy with.

The coping stones will be filed to a more realistic look once they've had time to set properly.

That's all for now, thanks for looking.

Al.

Join the club Al. I was cutting a piece of cork using a steel strip, when the scalpel skated over the steel, and since the only thing in the way was my thumb, I made a bit of a mess.

They say that crimson lake is the colour of freshly spilled blood, so I was able to confirm that most of my locomotives were correct.

Derek

Edited by Mrkirtley800
  • Friendly/supportive 1