Ladmanlow Sidings and other C&HPR locations

Alister_G

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Alister_G said:

Here you go...

Lawn016.jpg.4011be2232ad1fe650a1c344ead11e7b.jpg

:jester:

EDIT: Blimey, do you realise that was 4 years ago! :O  March 2015 when that was taken.

Al.

Brilliant piece of modeling. Everyone remembers it!

Lucky it hasn't gone rusty, sitting out there that long!231282183_Hatandcoat.jpg.f0f4e677f13f475ba4ba10419b5fc2b3.jpg

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Yesterday evening, I set too to add a DCC keepalive capacitor to my DJM J94.

Using a 2200 µF capacitor, a 100 Ohm resistor and a 1N4001 diode I built my own keepalive circuit, and scarily soldered it to the Loksound chip.

I managed to blow the first capacitor up, through mixing my wiring colours,  :banghead:  :blush: but luckily it didn't take the decoder with it, which would have really pissed me off. :ok:

So second time, I managed to get it all working, and tested it on the layout before finally putting the body back on the chassis. :senile:

All was good, so I put the lid on...

And now it doesn't work :wild: :cry:

It was late by this time, so I heroically didn't throw it through a window,  instead I carefully placed it back in its box, and will revisit it tonight.

And if you are very, very lucky, I'll remember to take some photos as well!

Al.

• Friendly/supportive 3

18 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

instead I carefully placed it back in its box, and will revisit it tonight

best idea when the gremlins find you ...  stay alives are good on little lococ's want to put them in all mine..  dose the  DJM J94. have a wire for stay alive or have you had to add them ? 

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, calvin Streeting said:

best idea when the gremlins find you ...  stay alives are good on little lococ's want to put them in all mine..  dose the  DJM J94. have a wire for stay alive or have you had to add them ? 

I've had to add them, which makes it more scary...

I think I'm right in saying that with a standard DCC Decoder, it's not a problem, you just add the keepalive between the wheels and the chip, but with a sound chip it's slightly more involved.

Al

• Informative/Useful 1

not 100% all stay alives need to be on the DC side of the AC-DC convertor.. but also some people put them on the Sound part only.. but would not recomend connecting to rails as thats AC not DC and caps dont like AC :)

4 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

h a standard DCC Decoder, it's not a problem,

Nope some dcc chips have wires for stay alive in place already.. i think lenz do but way more expensive than the cost of 2 wires. 

erm complex.. to explain.. :) 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

This evening I returned to the fray.

With the cab, and the top of the saddletank removed, you can see that it's quite a squeeze to fit everything in:

ladmanlow548.jpg.baf6e8bb3f7e8efebd57733c59b64852.jpg

You've got, from left to right, the capacitor, the speaker, the Loksound chip floating above, and the motor hiding under the wires, and the DCC socket in the firebox.

In fact the capacitor effectively fills the front of the smokebox and half the boiler:

ladmanlow549.jpg.2049cb1c80e53906d7a46a720e05249a.jpg

I spent some time with the body off, testing the loco. With everything unravelled, like this, it runs fine:

ladmanlow550.jpg.c1f6734a8859c7a340c8c2110e6bd688.jpg

But when squashed together to fit inside the saddletank, it stopped working.

With the aid of a multimeter, I eventually found not one but three dry joints, one here, where the wire from the DCC socket connects to the chassis pickups:

ladmanlow551.jpg.40710e05349b7469be9a63d6d26f8360.jpg

and both the track connections on the back of the DCC socket:

ladmanlow552.jpg.69d7aff7cc67aabf3345e4008b6d07ab.jpg

ladmanlow553.jpg.3fd72acc42ea9bc183fe5bc1a78a524c.jpg

With these resoldered, normal working was restored, so I carefully stuffed everything back under the saddletank and put it all back together.

The capacitor makes a big difference, not so much with the actual running of the engine, which was pretty good anyway, but it stops the sound chip cutting out and restarting when there's a slight blip in the track voltage over points etc, which was most annoying.

I hope to take some video of the loco in action now, which I will edit and upload later.

Thanks for looking,

Al.

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, calvin Streeting said:

do you find the stay alive gave smother running?

Yes, it does, really slow speed is much improved - apart from the bit over the vehicle crossing!

I need to look at that, there's obviously a bit of the planking slightly too high for this loco. The other Dapol J94s don't seem to mind it, but the DJM one is considerably lighter even with all the extra gubbins in it.

I'm seriously considering adding the keepalive to the Dapol ones now.

Al.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Great little Video Al and a nice sound as well, Oh and BTW, it's not only November when it's Grim up in the Dales, although I did once go there on a nice day, I think it was a Tuesday.:laugh:

Thanks Andy, really pleased with the loco now, its very nice.

It's sunny in the Peak District, this morning.

Al

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, calvin Streeting said:

yep snap.. i need to find a good source for micro size (large uf) caps.. what size did you use? mine was a 47,000uf @ 16v :) gave the loco a good 2 sec backup

I did order some 4700µf electrolytics, but they were too big physically to fit in the loco, so the one I used was a 2200µf @ 25V.

In the Dapol locos I may have to do some radical surgery on the internal weight to get one of those squeezed in...

Al.

Edited by Alister_G
too many noughts!