Ladmanlow Sidings and other C&HPR locations

Alister_G

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, sb67 said:

Very nice Al, did you put any matt varnish on before the powders?  They look like a pair of wagons that have not yet succumbed to the ravages of years of abuse but are work worn all the same, will you weather them further? 

1 hour ago, Rowsley17D said:

Nice work Al. I like that they are not too far gone.

Thanks guys,

Steve, no. I didn't use matt varnish, the grey paint was matt anyway, so I didn't bother. I'm tempted to leave them as they are, I have some which are weathered more heavily, but I like how these have turned out.

Thanks Jonathan, me too... :D

Al.

• RMweb Gold

This evening I've given the layout a damned good thrashing...

First though, this afternoon after finishing the wagons, I descended into the cellar to modify the lighting as discussed earlier.

So we now have one strip of natural white (4000K) LEDs at the front of the layout, and one strip of warm white (3000K) in the middle of the layout.

This has made a difference in two ways, first it boosts the overall light levels, obviously, but also it introduces the warmer shades, which make a big difference in the perception of colours.

Here's the layout now:

ladmanlow917.jpg.c54a3908798e5890db061d30628757ec.jpg

ladmanlow918.jpg.e0e17ce069fad0d1e90785a6159f2204.jpg

Just to round things off, here's the two wagons I built, painted and weathered today, sitting on the layout:

ladmanlow919.jpg.596c2d178c6e61160969c1d89888da43.jpg

I'm really pleased with how they turned out.

Anyway, as I said, this evening I've been giving the layout a good workout. I've dressed the layout with all the little extra scenic touches, and then I've taken a load of photos and a number of video sequences. It's going to take a while to process all those, so bear with me.

Thanks for looking,

Al.

Edited by Alister_G
replaced images
  • Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

1 hour ago, Alister_G said:

Thanks guys,

Steve, no. I didn't use matt varnish, the grey paint was matt anyway, so I didn't bother. I'm tempted to leave them as they are, I have some which are weathered more heavily, but I like how these have turned out.

Thanks Jonathan, me too... :D

Al.

Nice idea, it's always tempting to weather the living daylights out of Minerals, good to see a bit of restraint show :)

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

NEED a like very much indeed button now Al.:good:

Thanks mate. I'd forgotten how much fun this layout is. There's a few rough edges, but it's doing very well really.

Al.

• Like 2

Fantastic photo's and a great video. I watched the video and looked back through your thread and happily lost myself for an hour this morning. I'm a big fan of your layout, thank you Al :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for all the comments, it means a lot.

I've had a great day being involved in the SWAG Members Day, thoroughly enjoyed myself and saw some absolutely stunning layouts. Ladmanlow received some very nice comments too, but that wasn't what it was about, really.

Thanks to all who made it possible, and all those who attended.

Al.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I've followed this thread for a while and enjoyed seeing it in the show today.  I loved the photo's and especially the video explaining how it was all done, very nice indeed. Thanks for all your hard work. 

I've become a big fan of this layout. :)

Edited by sb67

• RMweb Gold

Very atmospheric of the C&HPR. I am old enough to remember the real line running just before the end in the mid 60s and seeing shunting operations at Friden  with sand and coal coming in and firebricks going out. One hard winter 1963? it was the only place to get coal.

Edited by Rowsley17D
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

One thing that's become apparent after taking the videos for SWAG is that I need some sort of view blocker for the hole in the sky where the trains come from, it really lets the scene down.

When taking still photographs it's not a problem, as I can avoid that area, but for video, or even exhibiting it in the future, I need to think of a way of hiding it.

I'm a bit limited in what I can do though - a big tree would look wrong, and so, I think, would a building, although maybe a half-relief of the end of a goods shed would do? I don't know.

What do you guys think?

Al.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Yeah, the landscape doesn't really lend itself to either a bridge or tunnel - we are effectively on top of a moorland hill.

I suppose it's just possible there would be an occupation crossing to the farm?

Al.

41 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

Yeah, the landscape doesn't really lend itself to either a bridge or tunnel - we are effectively on top of a moorland hill.

I suppose it's just possible there would be an occupation crossing to the farm?

Al.

At the real Ladmanlow there was a level crossing just at the entrance to the yard and a small goods shed at the left hand end (same side of the ‘mainline’ as Grin Cottages)

Any help?