Alister_G

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Alister_G said:

I've detailed and painted the tank now:

ladmanlow950.jpg.10b1f373e4798901119f6d0b8aa21057.jpg

ladmanlow951.jpg.d297165bbeb327599e595a1324895e38.jpg

ladmanlow952.jpg.3f345b062c84e5dac051aed2ac59802e.jpg

I'm quite pleased how it's turned out.

Next up, some undergrowth, then some wallage.

Thanks for looking,

Al.

Sorry Al, a note of dissent here.

The tank looks exactly like you've built it from some leftover C&L trackbases, compared to the other prototype ones it somehow to me looks "false".

Was this an experimental one do I remember you saying?

Mike.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Sorry Al, a note of dissent here.

The tank looks exactly like you've built it from some leftover C&L trackbases, compared to the other prototype ones it somehow to me looks "false".

Was this an experimental one do I remember you saying?

Mike.

That's fine Mike, I agree. It was stuck together in a hurry last night, and although I've detailed and reworked the actual Tank to something presentable, the tower does look obviously made from spare sleeper bases.

I have cut away the webbing now, and the chairs, and I think it looks passable now. Not ideal by any means, but better.

ladmanlow956.jpg.9e85986abd94508ce8faa3c10f538179.jpg

Al.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I don't know, Andy P wants an Ivy, you want a Muriel, where will it end?

I don't know Mike, I thought I could get away with the plain background as NHY581 does, but there's just too much blank space I think. Maybe if it was a muted colour rather than white it would be better.

Al.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

I've finished the wall, and given it a first paint - which is still wet here:

ladmanlow957.jpg.32847c5ebbc4f8d0ad03ead62c8d60ad.jpg

ladmanlow958.jpg.3b208b01cc839845c2e60253242363c7.jpg

Al.

'I am a dry stone waller an' I dry stones dry stone walls

Of all appallin' callin's dry stone wallin's worst of all'

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 3

34 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

That's fine Mike, I agree. It was stuck together in a hurry last night, and although I've detailed and reworked the actual Tank to something presentable, the tower does look obviously made from spare sleeper bases.

I have cut away the webbing now, and the chairs, and I think it looks passable now. Not ideal by any means, but better.

ladmanlow956.jpg.9e85986abd94508ce8faa3c10f538179.jpg

Al.

To High, To High he cried,:o about one sleeper bit to high IMHO.

SORRY Al.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Sorry Al but I can't stop thinking that flora is the way to go mate. Something brambley coming of the top of the wall with a couple of medium trees right next to the hole in the sky and more brambles coming forward from the trees and more of the same on the other side of the track is the way I would go.

The big problem is that tank base, it doesn't gel with the rest. The tank itself is fine but it looks like it should be somewhere Welsh and narrow.

Regards Lez.  

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Alister_G said:

The real things were solid wood, 10”x5”, and they would have removed any chairs or base plates. They also didn’t have holes in the tops or at the ends. You could try using ⅛” x 1/16” strip wood to get close to it, or if you can get hold of it, H0 scale 6”x12” styrene strip from Evergreen: part number 8612.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Regularity said:

The real things were solid wood, 10”x5”, and they would have removed any chairs or base plates. They also didn’t have holes in the tops or at the ends. You could try using ⅛” x 1/16” strip wood to get close to it, or if you can get hold of it, H0 scale 6”x12” styrene strip from Evergreen: part number 8612.

Coffee stirrers ?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Al,

Agree that the supporting framework needs beefing up a bit. There should be a couple of thousand gallons of water in that tank, so it will weigh quite a lot and will need a substantial structure to keep it upright. Photo attached shows my model on Middlepeak Wharf, which was a copy of one of the tanks at Cromford.

One other thing - where's the water supposed to come out? Bear in mind that the tank filler on a J94 is on top of the saddle, so the outlet pipe would have to be higher than that, unless the water is being pumped in.

All the best,

Geraint

RM10006.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Alister_G said:

I don't know, Andy P wants an Ivy, you want a Muriel, where will it end?

I don't know Mike, I thought I could get away with the plain background as NHY581 does, but there's just too much blank space I think. Maybe if it was a muted colour rather than white it would be better.

Al.

Hi Al. 

My back scenes are from mounting card glued to MDF. Colourwise, it's called porcelain which is a light lilac to normal people. Not blue. 

Mutton has a small goods shed to mask one end. Bleat Wharf has a low brick building and Sheep Dip a Nissen hut. They don't all go full height to the hole in the backscene.  It will be enough to have something there simply to draw the eye.  

That said, I agree with Andy P. The tank could be lower, perhaps standing no more than a couple of mm above the top of the hole. 

All mine also have a solid top to the layout with a fascia to which the lights are secured. This reduces that which is visible. You could also add 'wing plates' to the edges of the ends of the backscene.  These will act as 'view blockers and again will reduce the visible 'slot'. 

And don't forget viewing height which also plays it's part. 

If you're not troubled by the hole in the wall don't worry about it. I didn't with Sheep Lane.

I attach views of my current three. Apologies for the dubious quality but I hope it helps. 

Rob. 

20190803_094755-01.jpeg

20200109_202355-01.jpeg

20200422_095844-01.jpeg

Edited by NHY 581
Sausage hooves
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

I'd definitely try adding a "wing" first, then see how the tank looks.

On Fryers at one end (where the track comes quite close to the front of the board) the wing alone is enough to disguise the exit to the fiddle yard.  At the other end, where the track is further back, it uses a combination of the wing and a structure (in my case Portakabins).

For sky colour, I've used a B&Q paint named "Light Rain" which seemed appropriate, it's a very light grey.

• Like 2

I really like the way you make the walls, the finished result is great. wall. If you're unsure what to put under or around the tank, I would study some of the photo's you've got as a reference? The one posted earlier certainly show's a lot of overgrown stuff, but that level might not quite fit with your layout.  I would guess there would definitely be weeds/grass underneath, possibly brambles maybe some ivy might have found it's way from behind the wall and have grown around the base and supports. I find it too easy to put stuff there for stuffs sake and now I try to look at pics or imagine how nature would perform in real life.

I think there's nothing wrong with the backscene the way it is but if you wanted to try something different how much work would be involved removing it or re painting without damaging anything you've done? 

I hope some of that helps, whatever you decide, it will look good I'm sure. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, PenrithBeacon said:

Is that the engine shed at Cromford?

Cheers

Yep it’s the shed at Cromford - this is the only photo I can find when they located a water tank next to the shed. 

Cheers

Jay

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all!

Well I've just logged on, and what a lot of posts! Thank you all for your interest.

I'll try to answer some in order.

Andy, I don't think it's too high, as Geraint says the outlet from the tank needs to reach the top of the saddletank on the J94s, and it's only just high enough for that:

ladmanlow951.jpg.dc2f0cbd83aec4da906aeefac0ba3912.jpg

Ignore the valve at the bottom of the tank, that's not for loco filling, I haven't added the main feed yet.

Various people have said the tower supporting the tank is not solid enough, so whilst I'm happy with the tank itself I will remake the supporting structure.

But, that said, I'm still not sure about the whole idea of using a water tank as the view blocker. One of the strengths of Ladmanlow has been its open and bare feel, and the tank detracts from that.

Rob, Mark, thank you both for your thoughts, The backscene as it stands is a continuous roll of lining paper, and it's only held in place with a bit of masking tape. I used the roll to try and make a smooth curve in the back corners with no visible join. I will look to add some wing walls, and also a top fascia to restrict the viewing area a bit, and I will see if I can get some pale coloured paint to tone down the glaring whiteness of the paper.

Lez, Steve, Thanks to both of you. In this photo of the real Ladmanlow, you can see that there just aren't any trees of any size, just low undergrowth for the most part:

geraint002.jpg.080b0153d49c1b0636d093f491ce2684.jpg

Used with Geriant's permission

Whilst my layout is not meant to be in any way a representation of the real place in terms of trackplan, it does capture the look and feel of this area, which is bare and windswept.

So to have trees or other growth high enough to block the opening would look wrong, I think.

I'm going to busy with work most of today, but I'll give this some thought. If I make the changes to the backscene and fascia of the layout suggested by Mark and Rob, it may be the hole becomes less stark and obvious, and I can just leave it.

Thanks again to all of you, it's really appreciated.

Al.

Edited by Alister_G
spillong
  • Like 11

This https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ladmanlow-Railway-Station-Photo-Hindlow-Line-London-North-Western-Railway-2-/252663196142

is a view I haven’t seen before: any help?

The goods shed looks smooth sided rather than wriggly tin - tar paper over wood perhaps?

I’m not in a position to check my books, but I’ve never seen that cottage (to the left of the level crossing and mainline) in any of the photos I’ve seen before. Could you model the end wall in low relief, but on the opposite side of the tracks?

Edit: sorry; didn’t read to the end of the last page before posting!

For what it’s worth, I think the tank is fine, but the support structure needs altering to more closely resemble the one at Cromford Wharf. I agree that a collection of long grass and shrubbage inside the support structure might also look good.

Edited by Tortuga
Not reading to the last page
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Alister_G said:

In this photo of the real Ladmanlow, you can see that there just aren't any trees of any size, just low undergrowth for the most part:

Can also see a water tank by the trackside!

• Agree 1