Ladmanlow Sidings and other C&HPR locations

Alister_G

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

It does seem a great shame to devote such effort and skill to producing such superb effects on a wagon that is as fundamentally wrong, in dimensions and details, as the Dapol wagon. Those Parkside RCH mineral wagons are in my experience some of the very best injection moulded plastic wagon kits around.

I do have more of the Parkside offerings to build, but I see no reason why the Dapol ones I own can't be made to look better than just the bare plastic they come in.

Al.

• Like 3

Fantastic idea for a project Al. I've always wanted to copy a building I've seen or got photo's of so I'll be following this with interest. I Wouldn't know where to start! 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Andrew P said:

That really is some challenge there Al, Do you have a NEW Layout in mind for this once finished, as it will almost be a diorama on it's own.

Hi Andy, no this will be going on the Steeplehouse section I'm building now. I'm only modelling the house (and also the old stables) not the whole area, so although the house will be as near as possible an exact replica, the landscape it sits in won't be the same.

Cheers,

Al.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Sadly, today I didn't have as much time as I'd hoped to spend on the model, but here's what I've done.

First, I deployed my crack team of specially trained woodworm:

ladmanlow1366.jpg.2e6e98fa743c6b982f217c066fb68fd5.jpg

Who helped me cut out the window and door apertures. They do quite a good job, really:

ladmanlow1367.jpg.9ff052a115505027e543a4668d5cbc79.jpg

Then I propped up all the bits to see how it looks so far:

ladmanlow1368.jpg.81af5844b8255193ed71890508ec6770.jpg

ladmanlow1369.jpg.84a5cca686e69877ac90f24f9cccd99e.jpg

ladmanlow1370.jpg.bdf543833316a767a5047ac9b75a22e6.jpg

ladmanlow1371.jpg.4e9f7f3a0dd76416f45ea6474997ff8a.jpg

This evening I hope to make a start on cutting out the cladding from Slater's 4mm random stone sheets.

Thanks for looking,

Al.

Edited by Alister_G
spillong
  • Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

This evening, I stuck the basic shell together, and added the first floor to brace it all, and provide a base to add a basic representation of the upstairs walls, to provide roof supports and to determine the location of the chimney stacks etc.

ladmanlow1372.jpg.c1d7d924d0136dca893885cd4df76823.jpg

ladmanlow1373.jpg.bc0b1866b64af64ee254fc4207be28a5.jpg

ladmanlow1374.jpg.9daf7921930eab1fcb69a1071dcfc408.jpg

Then I started cutting out the cladding from the Slater's embossed sheet:

ladmanlow1375.jpg.a81f0eb8bf0b087111e5f73058de2e3d.jpg

ladmanlow1376.jpg.ce379ff8b44a3315489c68f2955b7d19.jpg

ladmanlow1377.jpg.ea3973b4f2b8bfcd9105d177aa7a4885.jpg

None of this is stuck on yet.

Tomorrow, I will cut the window apertures in the cladding, and start cutting the quoins for the corners of the building.

Thanks for looking,

Al.

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Gold

This evening, I have been cutting corners.

That's not to say my modelling has been any more shoddy than usual, no, it means I have literally been cutting away the stone sheet for the quoins, and window surrounds:

ladmanlow1378.jpg.72fd6bd8f5e48e9b7a6155ac84feba64.jpg

ladmanlow1379.jpg.15491604669322dde7aa07597f298ba5.jpg

ladmanlow1380.jpg.97ea893f58b9a8d4123a66acd3e71554.jpg

More to follow tomorrow.

Thanks for looking,

Al.

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi Stu,

I'm not sure yet, I was going to cut them out of Slater's dressed stone, but the courses on that are too deep, so I wasn't sure.

Filler might be the sensible thing to do, actually, thanks.

Al.

• RMweb Gold

It occured to me it might work as I have a building to make with quoins and English bond brickwork.

I had considered using the Silhouette to cut the stonework, but doubt my ability to cut the brickwork (SEF sheets) to match.

I think I might resort to filler instead. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Middlepeak said:

What about using individual pieces of plasticard for the quoin stones? Easier than trying to cut out a complex shape and you should get sharper corners as a result.

Just a thought.

G

Thanks Geraint, I have done that on previous buildings too, I'll see what I can do with a few different methods.

Al.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Al, I’ve just read through the 53 pages of your thread. I can’t think of anything else I would have rather done on a sunny Sunday afternoon. :smile_mini2:

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi Al, I spent the morning on the beach and the afternoon with a beer and your thread.

Doing well. It’s been a crazy few years with one thing and another, to the point that I’ve barely been on here. I’ve not done any modelling to talk of, but things are slowing down now (see above :) ), and I’ve just put some card backed foam down for the track bed (I can’t get thin cork sheet here) to finally make a start again on Havenhouse.

it’s great to see you’re well, if not a lunatic - your stone walls are fantastic!

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Hi Al.

Loving the building. It's coming on well mate.

I would go with filler for the quoin stones mate. I have done it with individual platicard stones but I found it a bit of a faff. I used a rectangle of plasticard and bent it into an L shape. You have to warm it up though or it can snap. Wills do a molded one but I've never seen it in the flesh so I can't give you an opinion about it.

Regards lez.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, lezz01 said:

Hi Al.

Loving the building. It's coming on well mate.

I would go with filler for the quoin stones mate. I have done it with individual platicard stones but I found it a bit of a faff. I used a rectangle of plasticard and bent it into an L shape. You have to warm it up though or it can snap. Wills do a molded one but I've never seen it in the flesh so I can't give you an opinion about it.

Regards lez.

Thanks Lez, useful info. Last time I did it with individual cut pieces I didn't try to bend them round the corner, I just butt-jointed the two sides, and filed them afterwards, but it was a faff to do. I'll give the filler a try on one corner, I think, and see how it turns out.

Cheers mate,

Al.

• Like 1