Ladmanlow Sidings and other C&HPR locations

Alister_G

• RMweb Gold
On 06/08/2020 at 10:03, Rowsley17D said:

Needs a good primer like Halfords grey etch.

Interesting observation, Jonathan. Was it the older red material that you found needing a primer, or the current grey? The older red material certainly needed priming before painting and a good dousing in isopropyl alcohol before that. I have not yet found the need to prime the recent grey material, though, but I am painting figures rather than architectural components.

Sorry, Al, wandering off topic a bit. . . . . . . . . . . .

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Interesting observation, Jonathan. Was it the older red material that you found needing a primer, or the current grey? The older red material certainly needed priming before painting and a good dousing in isopropyl alcohol before that. I have not yet found the need to prime the recent grey material, though, but I am painting figures rather than architectural components.

Sorry, Al, wandering off topic a bit. . . . . . . . . . . .

Not at all Mick, thank you for the information. I've only ever dealt with Modelu items in the red material, so what you say is interesting.

Al.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Some more grassage has appeared today:

ladmanlow1462.jpg.c822d7abc4b98d78de4b3a638717e3f3.jpg

ladmanlow1463.jpg.83375d56723182b58a3da9d18551383e.jpg

ladmanlow1464.jpg.edb9dc5ebb6e1a7a08a275575f338068.jpg

I've also added the ridge tiles to the house, and the lead flashing round the chimneys and the porch roof:

ladmanlow1465.jpg.0c76032e685633acb05622ed5396345e.jpg

ladmanlow1466.jpg.4d02991761bd1e60f503afc5bbc5dde7.jpg

ladmanlow1468.jpg.7ac1c46bb177c5b2db04909300383027.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Al.

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Hi Al,

My sub. copy of Sept. BRM just landed on the mat. Congratulations on Ladmanlow Sidings being in the mag. Inspired idea to take the layout out into the countryside early one morning to get the photos - they're amazing, really shows your modelling off at its best.

Cheers,

Graham

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Having seen how your layout has evolved into a number of modules on this thread it was very interesting to go back to just the original in BRM and the photos are just superb, but then it is a superb layout. A very interesting article. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thank you very much to all of you who have commented on the BRM article.

I am extremely pleased with how it turned out, I was especially pleased to see how the photos looked even blown up to the size they were in the article.

Thanks again,

Al.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I took the little house up to meet it's big sibling this evening...

Img_0945.jpg.a8a873dd513491636491e36af575bcf7.jpg

I'm quite pleased with the colour of the stonework, I reckon that's pretty good. The roof is a bit dark, though, but liveable with.

I'm still waiting for the guttering and chimney pots to finish it off.

Al.

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Gold

Which one has had the window upgrade? Great modelling. Are you going to use ModelU parts? If so will be interested how they turn out. Other stuff I have had from them is very good and will look well if and when I get them painted!

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jonathan, the model is based on the house as it was in the sixties and seventies when I was growing up there, so the windows and bay roofs are as they were then. Here's an aerial photo of that period:

ladmanlow1366.jpg.6e95107a96d2b1fd5a8754ab6deb53c3.jpg

Yes, I've ordered a load of the Modelu water goods, so will be interesting to see how they look.

Al.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

I took the little house up to meet it's big sibling this evening...

Img_0945.jpg.a8a873dd513491636491e36af575bcf7.jpg

I'm quite pleased with the colour of the stonework, I reckon that's pretty good. The roof is a bit dark, though, but liveable with.

I'm still waiting for the guttering and chimney pots to finish it off.

Al.

The one in the foreground is awesome but the one in the background doesn’t look as realistic :P

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Mrkirtley800 said:

Just superb Al. You do possess an enviable talent for creating realism in your models.  

Derek

1 hour ago, lezz01 said:

Loverly job on the house Al. 

Regards Lez.

Thanks both of you, it really means a lot to get such comments.

Al.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, Bogie said:

You cannot go wrong adding curtains.

Nice touch!

But where's the TV aerial?

I knew you'd like that :)

TV aerial will be the absolute last thing to be added when the layout is completed, otherwise I'll end up wearing it as an ornament dangling off my sleeve...

Al.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

The house looks superb Al. Well done on the BRM article, I really enjoyed reading it.  The photo's are stunning and really do your modelling justice, it looks like you've got the atmosphere of the prototype spot on. Real modelling excellence there, great stuff! :)

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Alister_G said:

I knew you'd like that :)

TV aerial will be the absolute last thing to be added when the layout is completed, otherwise I'll end up wearing it as an ornament dangling off my sleeve...

Al.

No one on my layout can afford a TV or the TV license so I don’t have to worry about aerials :lol:

Joking aside I too enjoyed the article, so much so I’ve asked Sarah to get me a hard copy from Morrison’s (other supermarkets are available) if they have any left

• Like 3