Ladmanlow Sidings and other C&HPR locations

Alister_G

The natural backgrounds look great and also show the observation that has gone into the model making as the whole thing blends together. It's got that High Peak look of it's either just stopped raining or just about to start raining! 

Years ago I wanted an old tender as a mobile water tank on a layout and used a detailed tender from a defunct Tri-ang Caledonian single.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks very much mate, much appreciated.

I keep looking on Ebay for anything suitable for the tenders that I can chop up, but without much luck so far. I also did at one stage cut some tender running gear on my Silhouette, but I can't find them now, although I still have the cutting file.

As always, too many things to do.

Al.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Just a thought like, but how about taking a 12volt battery controller with you on your next visit to the great outdoors?

Mike.

I did give that some serious thought!

Slightly more complex though - A pure sine-wave 12V inverter running off a second battery, so I can use the Procab for the DCC.

I'm still pondering whether I can justify the cost of an inverter for other uses.

Al.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Alister_G said:

Slightly more complex though - A pure sine-wave 12V inverter running off a second battery, so I can use the Procab for the DCC.

I'm still pondering whether I can justify the cost of an inverter for other uses.

Al.

I was with you right up to the word complex :lol:

Electrickery is like witchcraft to me

great video Al :good:

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Alister_G said:

Al.

Yep.............Er.......Nope.  Not a clue. 

photo-1484557985045-edf25e08da73.jpeg-01.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

An inverter converts 12V DC from a car battery to 240V AC mains voltage. You often find them in modern caravans and trucks so you can run a standard mains fridge, TV etc, without a mains hook-up.

A lot of cheap inverters do this by creating a "square-wave" output where the voltage is delivered as a series of pulses, which whilst OK for some electrical devices, play havoc with computers and other sensitive electronics.

Some more expensive inverters however deliver "pure sine-wave" output which is a continuous smooth supply the same as real mains electricity.

Al.

Edited by Alister_G
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

An inverter converts 12V DC from a car battery to 240V AC mains voltage. You often find them in modern caravans and trucks so you can run a standard mains fridge, TV etc, without a mains hook-up.

A lot of cheap inverters do this by creating a "square-wave" output where the voltage is delivered as a series of pulses, which whilst OK for some electrical devices, play havoc with computers and other sensitive electronics.

Some more expensive inverters however deliver "pure sine-wave" output which is a continuous smooth supply the same as real mains electricity.

Al.

photo-1484557985045-edf25e08da73.jpeg-01.jpeg

• Funny 6

59 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

Al.

Ah, makes sense now. It's a modern version of a battery powered device that used to be known as an "exciter" (NOT THAT KIND!!!) In the early days of car radios such a device lived behind the dashboard to generate a high voltage pure wave output to power up the AF and RF circuits in an 8 valve 8 wave Superheterodyne receiver. Whatever the hell that is... ;)

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Alister_G said:

Al.

I was with you until after An.

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

Evening Al. 

Can I just say the article and photos in the virtual show today were simply splendid. 

Really enjoyed reading the article. Great write up, informative and entertaining. 

Champion. 

Rob. 

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Rob, much appreciated.

Andy Y and the team did an outstanding job putting it all together, and I thoroughly enjoyed reading some of the other layouts write-ups, and learned quite a few tips from the various videos as well.

Al.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3