Ladmanlow Sidings and other C&HPR locations

Alister_G

Considering the state of British roads this last couple of decades, that could be anywhere.

Suggest for next water tank you should vandalise a Triang 3F tender. That should also be easier to find.

I used a Caley tender because it looked vaguely like an early standard gauge GW tender with the coal rails removed. I think it would pass for any number of pensioned off 1880s tenders.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Bogie said:

Have you thought of standing off in the distance when your brother takes a photo so that you can be in a photo of your own layout?

20 minutes ago, Bogie said:

image.png.02c859f78524fb3a8c80139df57ab545.png

Not quite what I had in mind.

In a Father Ted sort of way?, that thought had crossed my mind!

Mike.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

Ah, you mean like this...

ladmanlow1551.jpg.7e56a0305a4b42b7952396a91768749f.jpg

Al.

Yeah much better - not.

Somehow I do not think you are getting what I am trying to suggest!

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Alister_G said:

I've stretched my holes...

Al.

I am in awe of your quest for perfection....

R

Edited by NHY 581
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

I like the look of it and it's surprising what can be done with a rather basic model from six decades ago by paying attention to details. Speaking of which, didn't the repurposed tenders on the C&HP have buffers and drawgear fitted to both ends?

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I like the look of it and it's surprising what can be done with a rather basic model from six decades ago by paying attention to details. Speaking of which, didn't the repurposed tenders on the C&HP have buffers and drawgear fitted to both ends?

Thanks Rob. Yes that's still to do, I'm trying to work out how to add a coupling at what was the loco end.

Al.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

5 hours ago, Alister_G said:

Thanks Rob. Yes that's still to do, I'm trying to work out how to add a coupling at what was the loco end.

Al.

I have no idea what happened to my homemade tanker, but I didn't do anything too technical. At the rear I cut off the dummy coupling hook and cut away the tension lock coupling mounting lug. Then drilled a couple of small holes where the coupling hook should be and worked them into a slot for a Smith's sprung 3 link coupling. At the drawbar end I sawed off the plastic drawbar lug and drilled a pair of 2mm holes to take a pair of Tri-ang coach buffers to match the rears (still available on eBay, Peters spares I think) I also repeated the three link coupling alteration.

• Like 4

Liking the tender conversion.

Quick question; would the coal space have been covered over?

Once again, I’m away from my relevant Foxline books, but I seem to remember a photo of a water tender being emptied at the top of Sheep’s Pasture that was taken looking from the loco end. It might have been a different type of tender to the one you’ve modelled though - I think there was a hand rail at the loco end as well...

Why do I always end up reading peoples posts on excellent conversions, feel I can add something to their hard work and never be anywhere near the relevant reference material? Apologies if my question sounds like criticism.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Liking the tender conversion.

Quick question; would the coal space have been covered over?

Once again, I’m away from my relevant Foxline books, but I seem to remember a photo of a water tender being emptied at the top of Sheep’s Pasture that was taken looking from the loco end. It might have been a different type of tender to the one you’ve modelled though - I think there was a hand rail at the loco end as well...

Why do I always end up reading peoples posts on excellent conversions, feel I can add something to their hard work and never be anywhere near the relevant reference material? Apologies if my question sounds like criticism.

Hi mate, no not at all, any and all comments appreciated.

I think it varied, I have seen photos of later BR tenders where the coalspace was just left empty, but also a couple of photos of Webb tenders where they've obviously extended the water tank into what was the coalspace - maybe because the Webb tenders were physically smaller.

I think the definitive answer is : it depends... :)

Thanks a lot,

Al.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I felt the rust was probably a bit overdone, so I gave the Deeley tender a blast of Matt Varnish, which has toned it down a bit.

So here's some quintessential C&HPR views:

ladmanlow1591.jpg.ab142975ce2c8e2932d3091a6b45f557.jpg

ladmanlow1589.jpg.9a667f358d2d9321e00816d79979d68e.jpg

ladmanlow1590.jpg.fa0c1bcca6f2181be272c313adbaacd6.jpg

ladmanlow1592.jpg.904311b51c69867c7881b2636defb060.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Al.

• Like 17