Ladmanlow Sidings and other C&HPR locations

Alister_G

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

Yep, spot on.

Even unmessed with wiring can be a challenge, I can remember trying to find a blown fuse on a Ninety, which was stopping the radio, interior lights, horn and high-beam flash from working. According to the Haynes wiring diagram, they were all run off different fuses, which I considered unlikely, so I threw the Haynes away and looked at the legend printed inside the fusebox lid...

According to that, it should have been the 20Amp fuse in the top left of the fusebox. There wasn't a 20Amp fuse in the top left, it was a 15Amp, and it wasn't blown...

Eventually, after much cursing, and testing, I found it was the third from the left on the top row that had blown, which was marked up on the legend as the heater... The heater was working fine, thank you...

:banghead:

Al.

I had a SIII on which half the rear wiring had been replaced with various lengths of bellwire, held together with sellotape. We ended up ripping out the entire rear loom and making a new one!

Trouble is, this and @Mick Bonwick's thread are making me want another one! Despite knowing that they're slow, thirsty and unreliable, and that I have no need for a 4wd living in the middle of a town (and more imporantly, nowhere undercover to park one)

Edited by Nick C
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Nick C said:

I had a SIII on which half the rear wiring had been replaced with various lengths of bellwire, held together with sellotape. We ended up ripping out the entire rear loom and making a new one!

Oh Gods yes, some of the things previous owners do is beyond belief. On a One-Ten, part of the loom had been replaced with new wires - all of them green...

Oh, and when I got that one, I found the previous owner had used a hammer and chisel on all the wheel nuts, there wasn't one you could fit a socket on, had to chisel them off and replace them all...

Al.

• Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold

I'm relieved that I can join in with photographic evidence that I know what a Land Rover is. I also know that some will have seen this before but it brings back more memories for me than it does for you!

538132898_BWFilm12029.jpg.28cec1ad5bb09d4b8aecd9eb317177c6.jpg

On the subject of sheds:

1779729094_BWFilm12024.jpg.8ca725f587283e8df111965a669c5a22.jpg

Thread drift? Don't know what you mean.

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

I've added a fuel tank now:

ladmanlow1675.jpg.0a830135d4d28f4c043e112ea05f1f19.jpg

ladmanlow1677.jpg.be21f2983ca7d57319f7829fb6992322.jpg

ladmanlow1676.jpg.f51c4f2e1670b46a3a03e73fade6a25c.jpg

You realise that if I keep adding parts to this model, we will eventually end up with a fully rebuilt Land Rover...

I'll have to decide how far I take it, as we are supposed to be portraying a rebuild, not a complete one.

I can't do the axles at the moment, as I have no styrene rod of the correct diameter, but that should be here by Thursday.

I might start building some body panels - not necessarily to fit to the model, but to have stacked up in the shed somewhere.

Thanks for looking,

Al.

Edited by Alister_G
replaced images
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

That tank of course shows it to be a SWB civvy version. What era will it be? I have to admit I've never seen a S1 chassis bare to know what's different to the S2/2A/3 version, other than the length. 

Loving all the old Land Rover pictures! Sadly I’ve not had experience of any Land Rovers other than the LWB Defenders we use at work and I suspect my experience of old VW wiring is getting a touch too off topic.

I can relate to the dubious “help” offered by the Haynes Books of Lies though…

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 05/07/2021 at 19:52, Nick C said:

That tank of course shows it to be a SWB civvy version. What era will it be? I have to admit I've never seen a S1 chassis bare to know what's different to the S2/2A/3 version, other than the length. 

The series 1 80" chassis are quite a bit slimmer than the S2/3 ones, much more like the Jeep on which they were based. The chassis rails on later 88" models are deeper, but the basic shape is the same all the way through.

land-rover-series-one-80.jpg.5777bd49445f6ee16cf0f54617877392.jpg

I've sort of been aiming the model to be a Series II, as I'm more familiar with those.

Al.

Edited by Alister_G
replaced images
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Nick C said:

Wouldn't a SII be almost new in Ladmanlow's time period though? Or is this for a separate diorama? 

Yes, you are quite right. I'm not sure this will be an official part of Ladmanlow. Or I may just invoke Rule One :D

Al.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I've been working on body panels, and actually took one of the kit parts and chopped it up:

ladmanlow1678.jpg.bf6fc7967572172edfb1f54476107748.jpg

As a result of that, I measured the length of the front wing against the chassis.

Oops!

And as a result of that, I've had to cut the chassis up and add longer dumb irons.

ladmanlow1679.jpg.6c37b5d9ad06186b9e8ac4ce81c1322c.jpg

ladmanlow1680.jpg.a5742ec04dd8e96fef03919a235d4283.jpg

As you can see, the wing fits now:

ladmanlow1681.jpg.da06676524faac500ff9fe6025ebb44e.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Al.

Edited by Alister_G
replaced images
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

At least the tropical uniforms had improved by your time, this is my great uncle, Wolf the elder, (with three stripes) North Africa, in pre Landrover times.

IMG_20210705_181908.jpg.1fa323bb9e776c84f7814029cfacbb8d.jpg

His puttees were a tad longer than mine. Puttees? The things that go over the top of the boots to keep the trousers in place, in my case, and cover the top of the boots and protect the socks in Sgt Wolf's case.

I'm liking your modified body parts, Al.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 04/07/2021 at 22:44, Alister_G said:

Yep, I did similar, a friend and I rebuilt his Series II in the days before you could get replacement bulkheads or anything, so we fabricated replacement parts ourselves out of sheet steel, and effectively plated the whole existing chassis with new side members and tops. Paddock Motors, which are local to me, were available for engine and mechanical parts, leaf springs and so on, but they were just in a barn at Elton, no posh office or warehouse.

Al.

The IIA started out as a bulk head replacement job, but it quickly became obvious that more work needed doing, a full set of outriggers, rear cross member and front ends (the bit the bumper bolts to).

Paddock's rings a bell, we mainly used Jackson's at Misson (being relatively local, and an interesting place to visit).  Sadly its over 21 years since I parted company with my IIA, I still miss it (and it's still on the road)

Adrian

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

I've had a bit of a re-evaluation, whilst looking at reference photos of real rolling chassis, I became aware that my engine and gearbox were too small for the chassis.

I have therefore built a new one, slightly larger.

ladmanlow1682.jpg.2574cd9ad579a69386f76ad470d850ca.jpg

Here's a comparison of the two:

ladmanlow1683.jpg.59a9a36242708f4f133af4e0ae828812.jpg

ladmanlow1684.jpg.6704c3bccdb2b297c16f86c214af6d7d.jpg

More later.

Al.

Edited by Alister_G
replaced images
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Gold

Here's the new engine and gearbox in the chassis:

ladmanlow1685.jpg.fb159e0e946195962f3905dc0619bfc6.jpg

ladmanlow1686.jpg.3b6662df3b5083cdcb9a76d765d0c384.jpg

Close-ups are very cruel, it looks a lot better from five feet away :)

However, I'm happier that it fills the chassis properly now, compare with @westerhamstation photo of his lightweight.

This evening I have made a start on axles and diffs:

ladmanlow1688.jpg.2e9da6b74ae50fbe799974b644088c27.jpg

ladmanlow1687.jpg.6af10ef586fb41101f0216d508548461.jpg

I'm not going to even try to replicate the swivel hubs on the front axle.

Thanks for looking,

Al.

Edited by Alister_G
replaced images
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 3