Ladmanlow Sidings and other C&HPR locations

Alister_G

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, JustinDean said:

Yes mate!

No such thing as poorly judged late night shopping. 

Jay

Hmmm, not so sure about that Jay...  Not necessarily model railway but yes, I've bought some right trash over the years... :)

48 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Looking forward to a re vitalised Al, some more excellent modelling and some more stunning shots out in the Dales.

Nice purchases mate.

Thanks Andy

Al

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Physicsman said:

Hi Al.

I very rarely look at layout threads on here, but wanted to say "keep up the very good work".

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Thanks very much for wandering past, good to hear from you.

Al.

• Like 1

Sometimes a little retail therapy is what's needed. It can sometimes cause you to look at what you have already in a different light and renew the enthusiasm.

That's on page two of the Haynes Girlfriend Manual btw....

I'll be keeping a look out for further developments, good to see you back on your thread. :good:

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, JustinDean said:

Yes mate!

No such thing as poorly judged late night shopping. 

Jay

Well, you say that.........I had an 'accident' with another 08 last night..................

SB

• Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
Just now, NHY 581 said:

Well, you say that.........I had an 'accident' with another 08 last night..................

SB

I’m familiar with these ‘accidents’ which why I have a mountain of unbuilt wagon and loco kits. And J94’s. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JustinDean said:

I’m familiar with these ‘accidents’ which why I have a mountain of unbuilt wagon and loco kits. And J94’s. 

Ditto. A wagon kits mountain that started sometime in the 1980s. It's a source of constant amusement for my other half.

• Funny 4

1 hour ago, JustinDean said:

…and why I have 3 ‘Super D’s, two Fowler 4Fs, a Fowler 2-6-4T, a Stanier 2-6-4T, an Ivatt ‘Flying Pig’ and a wrecked BR Standard 4MT, but no layout to run them on!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

I also have other locos knocking about, but these were Christmas or Birthday gifts from before I had unrestricted access to internet shopping, so I can’t count those.

I also have a pile of unbuilt wagon kits; isn’t that a requirement for being a railway modeller?

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Sometimes a little retail therapy is what's needed

Very true although sometimes if I’m feeling low I buy something to cheer me up and then feel worse when I look at my bank balance afterwards :blush:

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

Very true although sometimes if I’m feeling low I buy something to cheer me up and then feel worse when I look at my bank balance afterwards :blush:

Simple solution to this problem: don’t look at your bank balance.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

I'm about to indulge in a bit of retail therapy with Gibson, I need some wheels for a 3F and a 1P. This is the down side of EM gauge. I have quite a lot of Romford's to get rid of if anyone is interested in them, I really don't like them but they are easy to quarter.

Regards Lez.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

I did something similar when I was going through chemo back in 2018.
I had a habit of buying Ebay stuff that was posted as not working. I got some good stuff.
Chris.

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, lezz01 said:

I'm about to indulge in a bit of retail therapy with Gibson, I need some wheels for a 3F and a 1P. This is the down side of EM gauge. I have quite a lot of Romford's to get rid of if anyone is interested in them, I really don't like them but they are easy to quarter.

Regards Lez.

PM sent.

• RMweb Gold

Well, that didn't go as planned...

I received the first of my purchases today, the Bachmann Class 03 and an ESU sound chip for it:

ladmanlow1831.jpg.9fe2b96a4346a527cc003398db2714ae.jpg

Here's the 03, this isn't the latest version with the 21-pin DCC socket, but the earlier one with the 6-pin socket:

ladmanlow1832.jpg.275af3614589f2e59a47ecaaec540898.jpg

and here it is all nekkid, with the body removed:

ladmanlow1833.jpg.a4d6252f882ed61e3c5d6cc5c6e5dc8c.jpg

Here's the ESU Loksound Micro:

ladmanlow1834.jpg.2131a350f3b6282f1b92792657a6bb89.jpg

You can see straight away that there are going to be problems here...

I separated the running plate from the bodywork, to get a clearer idea of the options:

ladmanlow1835.jpg.f12f7a46122ea43c1acf23735bbba3fe.jpg

This is the room when the running plate is on the chassis:

ladmanlow1838.jpg.f0707d0dffc4bf3809df9f56e48d4563.jpg

The big lump under the cab is all metal, and leaves no room for the soundchip to fit. The mechanism completely fills the height of the bonnet area, so there's no room on top.

I took the cab section off the body: thankfully it's not glued on, just clipped, and here's the room available in the cab area:

ladmanlow1839.jpg.bbdbcaeb215e16b0ce5405c65c5e2089.jpg

So I worked out that the chip would just fit behind the driver, but I would need to do some bodging to get the speaker and DCC connector into the chassis area.

So I cut away the floor of the cab, sufficient to allow me to pass the chip through the hole:

ladmanlow1836.jpg.ab33ff0f9c5ea7e4408320ea2106b756.jpg

ladmanlow1837.jpg.bc9e499df394e3baf86dd2a772732d8a.jpg

The speaker just fits in front of the motor, behind the radiator grille:

ladmanlow1842.jpg.d8d2afc89fff7be618edea165c45ce17.jpg

So I trimmed off the excess wiring from the chip:

ladmanlow1840.jpg.8efb0acc4e4b1b95523435c27fd542d2.jpg

and stuck it in the bottom of the cab with double-sided tape, and some kapton to tidy the wires:

ladmanlow1843.jpg.c98733c309e8a93632e6e8aae8d493ad.jpg

It's a tight squeeze, but it just fits:

ladmanlow1844.jpg.543dfec2b89e4b5dd90700d66276fee4.jpg

Before putting the cab back on and screwing the body to the chassis, I took it off to the layout to test it all worked:

ladmanlow1845.jpg.f6b9c3e7d6ea41a839455f81b5f8ee16.jpg

Aaaaand, nothing!

Dead, not a sign of life, no sound, no movement, NOTHING!!!

:banghead:

So...

I took the body off, and disconnected the soundchip, and replaced it with a standard Bachmann 6-pin DCC chip:

ladmanlow1846.jpg.cd123845d8439c852bcab2467340ed3f.jpg

Aaaaaaaaaand...

STILL NOTHING!!!

So, that's it...

I quit...

Tomorrow, I will either

a/ throw it very hard against a limestone wall.

b/ disconnect the DCC socket, and go back to basics and see if it is getting power from the pickups etc...

And yes, I know, I should have tested it on DC out of the box... But I don't have any DC power to do that at the moment.

Thanks for looking...

Al.

• Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Gold

I feel your pain Al.  Having been converted to sound when I got my sound-chipped Dukedog, I bought a Zimo decoder and speaker for my Mogul.  The decoder works just fine, but no sound at all (yet).  I also just got a sound-fitted Bachmann pannier, so I might see if I can swap the speaker out of that into the Mogul, so at least I can figure out if I got a duff speaker or not...

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

I think you guys need to invest in a DCC chip test rig. I have a dedicated rolling road test track that has it's own power supply for DC with a voltage meter so I can run locos in and measure the start voltage. I can switch between two different DC controllers as I have a Pentroller and not all motors like it. The DCC plugs into a 5 pin din socket on the side and not only can I switch from DC to DCC but once in DCC mode I can switch between main and program track mode. I built it from an old control panel from an earlier layout, I'm just about to convert it to EM gauge as it's 00 at present. Once it's done I'll post some pics on my thread. 

I've seen DCC chip testers on eBay for around 30 quid.

Here's one.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284495498839?hash=item423d40ce57:g:IfkAAOSwpnNhZetH

ESU do one as well.

Regards Lez.

Edited by lezz01
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Whilst I don't want to go off topic, my recent purchase of the 08 was disappointing. Clearly not as described, i.e 'Mint' and 'very little use' does not mean noisy, poor running and clearly visible repair to steps. All now rectified but why can't sellers be straight. 

I'm sure you can resolve this, Al. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

I'm sure that you will sort it out with some testing and a modicum of profanity. 

You would expect that a component, fitted as per the instructions, would work. 

Then again, there seems to be a whole raft of complex RTR models, designed, developed and manufactured by professionals that don't work, or don't work very well, so don't be beating yourself up about it.

I've been very impressed at exhibitions with the whole Idea of DCC and prototypical sound.

From all that I have read on dozens of threads on here, I salute those of you who have the skills and patience to persevere with it.

KBO and all that!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1