Ladmanlow Sidings and other C&HPR locations

Alister_G

50 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

Thanks both of you.

I wouldn't mind so much if this had been an ebay purchase, but it wasn't, it's from a well known supplier.

Anyway, we'll see this evening what's working.

Al.

Al, Can the 6 pin chip go in either way up, i.e. pins around the wrong way, I'm sure I've had that in the past with 6 pin.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Al, Can the 6 pin chip go in either way up, i.e. pins around the wrong way, I'm sure I've had that in the past with 6 pin.

Cheers Andy, pin 1 is marked on both the socket and the chip, but being the doubting fellow I am, I tried it both ways anyway :)

Thanks mate.

Al.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I feel your pain, Al. A Zimo decoder I have in one of my kit-built 1Ps has had most of its wires come adrift. It seems that when the insulation has been removed in order to solder the wires to the decoder pads most have been cut through.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

I feel your pain, Al. A Zimo decoder I have in one of my kit-built 1Ps has had most of its wires come adrift. It seems that when the insulation has been removed in order to solder the wires to the decoder pads most have been cut through.

Hmm, interesting, I've got a Zimo on order for the J94, so I'll check that out!.

In this case though, I think it's a problem with the loco itself, as I've tried two different DCC chips with no response so far.

I will probably do what Jay suggested, put it back to DC with a blanking plate and try it on a 9V battery, then go from there.

Cheers mate,

Al.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Alister_G said:

Tomorrow, I will either

a/ throw it very hard against a limestone wall.

b/ disconnect the DCC socket, and go back to basics and see if it is getting power from the pickups etc...

And yes, I know, I should have tested it on DC out of the box... But I don't have any DC power to do that at the moment.

Thanks for looking...

Al.

I would chose Option a/

Although I admit to not having a limestone wall handy.

As for the DC testing - hindsight is a fantastic invention.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

Hmm, interesting, I've got a Zimo on order for the J94, so I'll check that out!.

In this case though, I think it's a problem with the loco itself, as I've tried two different DCC chips with no response so far.

I will probably do what Jay suggested, put it back to DC with a blanking plate and try it on a 9V battery, then go from there.

Cheers mate,

Al.

I’d be tempted just to test the motor first at your next opportunity Al. At work, if the recording system or some audio goes down it’s a process of elimination to fault find, normally starting with the elements that are easiest to test. In this case it would be the motor. 
Hearing the various woes folk on here have with dodgy decoders it seems like a test rig would be an investment. 

Jay

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I’ve just been looking back through your photos Al and I think after motor testing I’d be checking for shorts. There’s so many wires crammed into a small space with the potential for a wire, a solder pad or anything else to be touching something it shouldn’t. 

Jay

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning gents,

Well I didn't get long to check over the loco last night, as something came up, but I did test for continuity between the wheels, pickups and DCC socket, and found that the pickups on one side are not connected to anything. As I said, I didn't have time to pursue that further, but that's the first thing to sort out, so I'll have to dismantle the loco wiring and see what's going on.

Al.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

A quick update on what is turning out to be a bit of a saga with the 03.

So if you recall, having fitted the sound chip, on testing the loco was found to be dead, deceased, an ex parrot.

Further investigation revealed that there was in fact no power getting from the track to the DCC socket. The wheels were clean, the pickups were working, but the wire from the pickups had become detached on one side. So I took the DCC socket apart and resoldered it all, and that is now solved.

Testing with a plain non-sound decoder was fine, so I connected the sound decoder back up.

I can run the loco, but there are no sounds emanating from the speaker.

Removing the sugarcube and connecting a larger speaker, and it makes noises, but the speaker I have won't fit in the loco. So I've ordered a replacement sugarcube, and also a couple of iphone speakers, and we will do further machinations when they arrive this afternoon.

It was supposed to be easier than this...

Al.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

Morning all,

A quick update on what is turning out to be a bit of a saga with the 03.

So if you recall, having fitted the sound chip, on testing the loco was found to be dead, deceased, an ex parrot.

Further investigation revealed that there was in fact no power getting from the track to the DCC socket. The wheels were clean, the pickups were working, but the wire from the pickups had become detached on one side. So I took the DCC socket apart and resoldered it all, and that is now solved.

Testing with a plain non-sound decoder was fine, so I connected the sound decoder back up.

I can run the loco, but there are no sounds emanating from the speaker.

Removing the sugarcube and connecting a larger speaker, and it makes noises, but the speaker I have won't fit in the loco. So I've ordered a replacement sugarcube, and also a couple of iphone speakers, and we will do further machinations when they arrive this afternoon.

It was supposed to be easier than this...

Al.

It’s still progress mate - the loco’s now working!

• Agree 4

I suspect that you would soon get bored if everything was straightforward. Where's the challenge to your skills and powers of reasoning?

Possibly, all of the unexpected hitches and complications is the real reason that railway modelling is often referred to as "a lifetime hobby"? :jester:

KBO.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Alister_G said:

Just to prove I've not dropped off the planet, here's a couple of old photos:

ladmanlow533.jpg.ba37a0ed73fd8c67e9fa70b6164906b2.jpg

ladmanlow820.jpg.cffcc5aba8ad9f912e08bb2ad30fcd77.jpg

Al.

I did wonder, Al. 

Good to see you.