Ladmanlow Sidings and other C&HPR locations

Alister_G

• RMweb Gold

1 hour ago, Middlepeak said:

Al,

Just thinking about it again, there is a more radical solution, which I'm hoping to progress for Friden, of making the fiddle yard a scenic cassette, in which case you don't have the problem.

All depends how you see that working for exhibitions, I suppose. I won't necessarily have that problem, as the layout is being built primarily for home use.

Geraint

59 minutes ago, sb67 said:

I've seen this layout a few times and a scenic fiddle yard can work very well. 

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/97332-neptune-street-yard-2015/

This is something I discussed briefly earlier in the thread.

As you know I am very much constrained by space at the moment so at home I can only set up and work on small modules at any one time, but I would very much like to build up a number of scenic modules of the C&HPR which could, if the opportunity presents, be joined together to make a larger layout, but can equally be used in their own right as a self-contained diorama or shunting plank.

Bearing this in mind, I would quite like to build a scenic section to join on to what's already there. The current fiddleyard is 2 feet in length, and I could probably create something of equal size which is scenic, sufficient to allow shunting of the current layout.

Thanks all of you for your continued thoughts on this.

Al.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Hi Al. That is a much better solution than the water tank mate!

Why not have a go at painting a back scene yourself. Andy P is very good at believable rural back scenes he can talk you through it. Or there's a series on the Beebs catch up thingy called the joy of painting that is worth watching, a chap called Rose very inspiring, with big brushes too. I watched it all through years ago on late night telly his techniques are easy to master. Personally I have a suspicion that Andy watched them too as his trees are very similar. My old art teacher taught me something very similar back in the day, but I'm a better drawer than I am a painter. I'm good at painting things not painting paintings if you see what I mean. My family is quite creative as a whole, my  niece has a degree in art and design, my wife stitches and we're all musical to some extent, makes me a lucky guy I guess.

Regards Lez. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Lez.

Yes, Bodgit's backscenes are really excellent, he's too modest about it but I reckon he should exhibit some of the paintings he's done, they are very good.

I'm fairly creative, but more in the line of making things. I'm good at technical drawings, but art as art I am no good at all.

Al.

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

I'm fairly creative, but more in the line of making things. I'm good at technical drawings, but art as art I am no good at all.

Al.

Your layout is art and very inspiring. Thank you for sharing it with us. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

And speaking of art, we have a page with no photos on it. That won't do at all!

Quick, let's add some.

ladmanlow998.jpg.4d760494f025e77a90d0da0e7ab72040.jpg

ladmanlow997.jpg.0e9221349c2b00ad6b7c5717e4e927f0.jpg

ladmanlow996.jpg.d59e83813c8a13a44b985d109b775625.jpg

ladmanlow995.jpg.86f5e93311268eddf37ff39210ff4d87.jpg

There, that's better.

Thanks for looking,

Al

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Alister_G said:

Thanks Lez.

Yes, Bodgit's backscenes are really excellent, he's too modest about it but I reckon he should exhibit some of the paintings he's done, they are very good.

Al.

I agree an Andy P commission of a backscene may be the way to go.  Not sure what he charges though.  Will he have to paint in your cellar or can he sit at the kitchen table?  It may affect the fee he charges.

By the way I agree that you are very creative.  Keep up the "creative" work!

• Thanks 1

Rob's idea of coloured mount board is good too, I nicked that for Upbech, I've painted backscenes and knocked one up using rattle cans using mount board as a basis. I prefer simple back scenes.

I do like the latest changes.

Martyn

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Alister_G said:

And speaking of art, we have a page with no photos on it. That won't do at all!

Quick, let's add some.

ladmanlow998.jpg.4d760494f025e77a90d0da0e7ab72040.jpg

ladmanlow997.jpg.0e9221349c2b00ad6b7c5717e4e927f0.jpg

ladmanlow996.jpg.d59e83813c8a13a44b985d109b775625.jpg

ladmanlow995.jpg.86f5e93311268eddf37ff39210ff4d87.jpg

There, that's better.

Thanks for looking,

Al

To correct you Al, 

'There, that's better, look you'

Rob. 

• Funny 1

3 hours ago, lezz01 said:

Hi Al. That is a much better solution than the water tank mate!

Why not have a go at painting a back scene yourself. Andy P is very good at believable rural back scenes he can talk you through it. Or there's a series on the Beebs catch up thingy called the joy of painting that is worth watching, a chap called Rose very inspiring, with big brushes too. I watched it all through years ago on late night telly his techniques are easy to master. Personally I have a suspicion that Andy watched them too as his trees are very similar. My old art teacher taught me something very similar back in the day, but I'm a better drawer than I am a painter. I'm good at painting things not painting paintings if you see what I mean. My family is quite creative as a whole, my  niece has a degree in art and design, my wife stitches and we're all musical to some extent, makes me a lucky guy I guess.

Regards Lez. 

Thanks Lez.

• Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
On 01/05/2020 at 19:57, Alister_G said:

Don't tell anyone, but I had two!!

So long as they weren't the last two...  If the shrubbery is growing on you, I'd advise moving about more.  

I'm liking the scouring pan shrubs a lot, and some might well be appearing on Cwmdimbath, especially if I buy new ones for the kitchen and 'cascade' the old ones!

Backscenes should IMHO add to the ambience of the model, but not attract attention to themselves, and my view of commercially available ones is that they by and large fail to meet this requirement, as do many home made ones.  You'd think a photographic backscene would trump all, but it doesn't unless the photo was taken on a hazy or misty day.  The principles employed in theatrical backdrops are pertinent here.  I refer you to Arun Quay, which I think has the best backscene ever; you can almost feel the damp setting in to your bones! 

Cwmdimbath's backscene is a work in progress, but dispenses with much received wisdom.  The Central Glamorgan Valleys are steep sided and narrow, unlike the glacial U formations of the upper Rhodda, Neath, Cynon, or Taff, and at Cwmdimbath there is a stream behind the station which disappears under a culvert at the end of the platform; behind that a steep mountain side rears directly upwards, representing a mountain which tops off about 1,500 feet above the station, perhaps 1,800 above sea level.  It is part of the Central Glamorgan Massif, which reaches a height of 1,969 feet at Craig y Llyn above Hirwaun.  

Sheets of wargaming type grass are draped over a chickenwire framework, the folds representing those of this sort of Pennant Sandstone slope in reality.  The height is variable, but not more than 2 feet, which looks reasonable from the operating position;  the top edge is sculpted (that's a bit of over-egging, chopped about with a big pair of scissors is more accurate) to tail away in perspective with the plateau sloping downwards to the south at approximately the 'dip' of the Pennant.  Woodland Scenics outcrops, intended to be limestone but weathered in the ruddy brown of Pennant, appear conforming to this dip of the strata.  A few shrubs on the lower slopes, some grouped around the base of the outcrops where water gathers, and slightly differing greens and textures complete the effect.  It was once heavily wooded, but the trees were all cut years ago for pit props.

My scenic break is also a bit of a non-comformist.  It was originally a hole in the sky that trains passed through, but has evolved rather than been planned into a sequence of signals, a pipe bridge, and a road bridge which are lit to draw your attention, before the actual break which is the hole in the sky replaced as a sheet of matt black stiff card about 18" high.  When I bought this, the intention was to either paint or photograph of a view down such a valley on a dull or wet day, but as things are, trains emerge or pass out of reckoning through the bridges, from or towards an area of darkness which my brain simply doesn't register in any way I'm aware of; a psychological scenic break!  I may yet carry out the down-valley backscene plan, but for now I've got more important things to do...

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Alister_G said:

Thanks Lez.

Al.

:offtopic:

I have, :Dand won some prizes,  :good: thanks Al.

Yes I know I'm a big headed Ba***d:nono:

908314758_2018-02-06Feb2018BalaTown.JPG.eff12e6f39a70cc606390e0614f71694.JPG

783315845_2017-12-22SnowdonfromCapelCurig.JPG.221b7764735a107b399a8803e3f3c4b5.JPG

Sunset_over_the_Mountain_2018-08-30.JPG.c1b6f7271546609f6b39386af70bbf1c.JPG

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

Backscenes should IMHO add to the ambience of the model, but not attract attention to themselves

Yep, I agree totally. And like Martyn and Rob, I would much prefer a plain backscene, just not one that's such a glaring white! I have tried photographic scenes (of my own) on other layouts, and in the right place, done in the right way, they can be effective:

scenery-views010.jpg.7fe11a9bf3ecfd2466e3dbef93a09a57.jpg

Black Country Blues, of course, is a prime example of a well done photographic scene in a relatively small physical layout, as is CK's Bethesda Sidings, but in general I think you need the backscene to be physically distant from the camera to make it work.

Of course I was also successful in using real live scenery as a backdrop for Ladmanlow, when I took it for a trip outside, but that isn't a realistic option for day to day.

ladmanlow830.jpg.1cfae63a0d1153651d0f38d4d634e81f.jpg

Anyway, to sum up, yes, I want a plain backscene, but until I can legitimately go to B&Q or other purveyor of squirty paints, I will have to settle for what I have.

Cheers,

Al.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

I have, :Dand won some prizes,  :good: thanks Al.

Oh that's great Andy, I didn't know. Well deserved mate, I'm really glad.

Al.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Alister_G said:

Yep, I agree totally. And like Martyn and Rob, I would much prefer a plain backscene, just not one that's such a glaring white! I have tried photographic scenes (of my own) on other layouts, and in the right place, done in the right way, they can be effective:

scenery-views010.jpg.7fe11a9bf3ecfd2466e3dbef93a09a57.jpg

Black Country Blues, of course, is a prime example of a well done photographic scene in a relatively small physical layout, as is CK's Bethesda Sidings, but in general I think you need the backscene to be physically distant from the camera to make it work.

Of course I was also successful in using real live scenery as a backdrop for Ladmanlow, when I took it for a trip outside, but that isn't a realistic option for day to day.

ladmanlow830.jpg.1cfae63a0d1153651d0f38d4d634e81f.jpg

Anyway, to sum up, yes, I want a plain backscene, but until I can legitimately go to B&Q or other purveyor of squirty paints, I will have to settle for what I have.

Cheers,

Al.

That outside shot would make a great back scene if you could replicate it, very muted colours and a bit hazy.

Martyn

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, mullie said:

That outside shot would make a great back scene if you could replicate it, very muted colours and a bit hazy.

Yeah it sort of would, but not sure the eye-lines would work if it was stuck immediately behind the layout. Worth a try though.

Al.

• RMweb Gold

If you are trying to create an open and wind-swept look, you will need to keep an eye on the horizon level, as it needs to be low, unless you wish the layout to appear to be in a valley.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Alister_G said:

Black Country Blues, of course, is a prime example of a well done photographic scene in a relatively small physical layout

:) What would you consider a 'large' layout to be ?

BCB has a 33ft long scenic section...

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

For some reason I can’t get the gallery music from Take Hart out of my head now

Or for the older readers: Vision On.

Same Tony Hart though.

Paul.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1